Forum for kitesurfers
Ocean
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lisbon on 14/7

Postby Ocean » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:52 am

Yoo,

I am going to Lisbon for two weeks, everything is packed. Finally I'll get to kite some this summer. Anyone know how the wind and sun is right now? In real life that is. I will probably go to Nova Vaga beach, looks great from kitebeaches. How is the water, do I need a wetsuit if I expect to play around for hours every day?

Anyone have any other recommendations? Would be fun to meet some other kiters.

/Daniel
Sweden

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Re: Lisbon on 14/7

Postby Dirk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Don´t know how the wind is there right now, however it would not tell you how the wind will be the next two weeks (check windfinder or similar)
Anyway June/July/August is the windy season for that area, so your chances should be pretty good. Well at least it always has been in my windsurfer days going to Guincho.

You will need a wetsuit, the water is pretty fresh even in summer. 3/2 mm steamer or with short arms recommended. Most surfers (who stay the whole time in the water) wear a thin full suit there even in summer.
On the other hand you are swedish so you might be a lot tougher concerning cold :D But I would not take a risk.
You shoud also consider taking a small kite with you it might be howling.

Dirk

Ocean
Rare Poster

Postby Ocean » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll bring a wetsuit just to be sure. Unfortunately I dont have a small kite. I will bring my Waroo 2007, 13m2. Hopefully it will work.

mogthedog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tenby
Favorite Beaches: fresh west
Style: waves
Gear: north rhino 2009 12M, 9M & 7.
D'light 5'10 x 18 1/4 custom surfboard and 5'10 2007 North Rocket fish and Large North Jaime pro 2007 and 2010 North raceboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mogthedog » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:21 pm

If you like surfing bring a surfboard in case there is not much wind. I went there last november and had no wind but bought my surfboard, the surf there is amazing especially around carcavelos and cascais.

JN
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby JN » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:04 pm

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:39 pm

In November there is usually not much wind but great waves. Best wind probability as I said June/July/August. It is the same trade wind system which provides the Canary Islands with wind in summer. Portugal is actually where the system starts.

13m might be quite big. I don´t know exactly but the Nova Vaga area has less strong winds then the area north of the river Tejo, especially Gunicho, where the overall wind system is increased by local thermal effects. On a good day there you would definitely need something around 7m depending on your weight.
I thing there is a portuguese sub forum here on Kiteforum, maybe you ask there as well to get first hand feedback.

Return to “Kitesurfing”