Forum for kitesurfers
DanDanTheFlyingMan
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot 2011

Postby DanDanTheFlyingMan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:54 pm

That LE is really thin on the Rally for a Delta.

Can anyone comment on the 12 Rally compared to the Octane 13?

I mean: Bar pressure, turning speed, bottom end, top end, speed, boost?

Did you guys tweek the larger sizes for better bottom end while focusing the smaller sizes at good top end?

If the Rally has similar bottom end to a RPM like old mate says earlier, that is not good :(

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:51 pm

addicted~2it wrote:Sorry for being the hater.... why would SS copy the Kahoona & the Banit knowing what peices of shit those two kites are. I look at that kite & it just screams back stall. :cry: And whats with the new Fuel colors??? They look like Indian blankets from New Mexico. God dammit Slingy, what are you thinking??? :angryfire:
The Kahoona and the Bandit III have backstall issues?
I did not think backstall was a big problem for delta kites.
Also, first gen SLE kites all stalled a bit didn't they?
They have all gotten much better on 2009, 2010, 2011 yes?
Feedback from the people who have ridden Rally's already, have not said a word about backstall.
Rave reviews all around, so far.
I don't care for the green or the orange colors or the Fuel pattern much either but who cares about that stuff.

Fry
Medium Poster

Postby Fry » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:30 am

good reviews. however all seemingly from slingy affilliated people...

question: what makes the rally a "open c delta"??? It doesnt look much different than other deltas,
is it because of the flat wingtips?

addicted~2it
Medium Poster
Gear: SS Rev
Underground Boards
Myctic Warrior

Postby addicted~2it » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:18 am

The only people who rode the kite so far will never have anything bad to say about it.
They are trying to sell the thing after all. I dont need a review to tell me what a kite is going to fly like." I'm not a Slingy hater, just hate Slingy for going delta".
Maybe they could call it the Link 2. :P

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:34 am

addicted~2it wrote:Sorry for being the hater.... why would SS copy the Kahoona & the Banit knowing what peices of shit those two kites are. I look at that kite & it just screams back stall.
You obviously don't know what you are talking of... I am not a delta fan either but both kites (especially Bandit III) are a great success with no issues whatsoever and perfectly suited to a large majority of riders.

BayAreaKiteboarding
Medium Poster

Postby BayAreaKiteboarding » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:48 am

addicted~2it wrote:Sorry for being the hater.... why would SS copy the Kahoona & the Banit knowing what peices of shit those two kites are. I look at that kite & it just screams back stall. :cry: And whats with the new Fuel colors??? They look like Indian blankets from New Mexico. God dammit Slingy, what are you thinking??? :angryfire:
What a Joey! SS doesn't need to copy anyone, not sure if you're referring to the Fuel or Rally, but neither are a copy of anything. We've been logging some time on the Rally here in the SF Bay riding and on some demos and are simply put, very stoked on it. Feedback has been killer so far, performance is off the hook and construction details and build quality are top notch.

Maybe you can get a job for one of the mags and write reviews based on pictures you see and your unfounded opinion... HA! :jump:

richswing
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: City Beach, Melville Beach - Perth
Favorite Beaches: Umhloti Beach, Durban, South Africa
Tekweni Beach, Durban, South Africa

Postby richswing » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:55 am

Actually I think SS has taken some notes from EH and his Ovando.

The shape is bit more pointed than a Delta and the bridle has no pulleys. Sounds like an Ovando to me.

Cheers
Rich

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:58 am

shymac wrote:
bri wrote:what's the line up of those boards

This photo should be useful...

More info will be available soon. :redcard:
I am personally disapointed by the surfboard line up. Too many "bustard" shapes and not enough real surf shapes, apart from the "Tyrant" only available in huge 6'1'' and 6'2''. Why two sizes only and so close in difference ?

BayAreaKiteboarding
Medium Poster

Postby BayAreaKiteboarding » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:03 am

DanDanTheFlyingMan wrote:That LE is really thin on the Rally for a Delta.

Can anyone comment on the 12 Rally compared to the Octane 13?

I mean: Bar pressure, turning speed, bottom end, top end, speed, boost?

Did you guys tweek the larger sizes for better bottom end while focusing the smaller sizes at good top end?

If the Rally has similar bottom end to a RPM like old mate says earlier, that is not good :(
Actually, if you pump up and hold a Rally, you'll notice the LE is not so thin really. Today I had a great session on the 12m and noticed and though to myself, "beefy LE..."

Starting last September, I've had an Octane 11m in my quiver and flew the Rally 12 today at one of my local spots where I'd almost always fly the Octane 11m. I flew the 12m as a friend was trying out the 10m Rally, and the performance of both was two-fold - to let him fly and try the 10m Rally, but also to help determine my Rally quiver with the question being - do I need a 12m or not?

I was well-powered on the 12 and it didn't take too long to feel by my 12m flight and observing his 10m action that I'll be able to get by with no worries at all with a 10m as my top kite. My 12m feeling was that the kite is consistently smooth and stable as in the smaller sizes and provides faster turning than the Octane 11m, and has stronger upwind performance and, as with all Rally's, greater boosting height and hangtime. The direct connection with no pulleys provides a snappier feel and more precise feedback. On my Octane 11m, I would generally limit my freestyle tricks and routine to some extent as my style is more suited to higher winds and smaller kites, but the 12m didn't hinder me and I could do what I wanted as to bigger boosting and longer hangtime allowed for the kind of tricks I'd normally reserve for my 9m or 7m Octane (and previously Rev, Rev2, etc)

A local F-One rider tried the Rally 10m in 13-14 average winds at Sherman Island, CA and had this feedback, (hope he doesn't mind the repost...):

"Tried the 10m and 12m Rally today at Sherman. The wind was blowing 13-14mph average around 4pm during max flood and I decided to try the 10m with a 136x40 twintip to test the lowend. Amazingly I had plenty of power to stay upwind and do some kiteloops and front/back rolls. Kite turns fast and has very smooth turning and very smooth and linear power/depower. Kite is very stable and unhooks well also. The 12m turns very quick for a 12m, didn't feel sluggish at all, and felt almost as quick as a typical 9m kite. As usual the Slingshot bar is built very well and has excellent safety. Nice to see no pulleys in the short simple bridle on the kite and it actually works very well without the pulleys.

Thanks Shy/Ollie for the demo. This kite will be a great contender for the upcoming new kite releases. Definitely give one a try. "

I probably won't be long before more folks have the chance to try it and have fun doing so. Try one if ya get a chance... :P

12m, killer, 10m, awesome, 8m and 6m? Don't even get me started! :o

Try 'em when them come to a beach near you...

Habi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puerto Rico
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: Kite Banging

Postby Habi » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:59 am

Bring them down here to Puerto Rico :jump: and do a demo !!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”