Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Differnce between waist and seat harness?

Forum for kitesurfers
Pietro_2003
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Differnce between waist and seat harness?

Postby Pietro_2003 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:03 pm

After a quick search and a read of the recent post about waist harness with back problem I got wondering about what the differences in ride and/or feel are with either type of harness.

I have windsurfed for years and much prefer a waist, but have recently started kiting again and am curious if a seat harness would suit me better than my waisty. I am super slim and have no lats to keep a waist harness down around my waist. I have back problems dating back to when I was a teenager (L4/L5), but never noticed a pain difference between the two so luckily that's not an issue for me.

Can one generalise about the affect of each a waist or seat harness has on the type of ride when kiting; hook height and all? I know through windsurfing there is a big difference. Yes, and of course I could borrow one off a mate, but going by the weather report that won't be for a bit...

Cheers!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Differnce between waist and seat harness?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:52 pm

Pietro_2003 wrote:After a quick search and a read of the recent post about waist harness with back problem I got wondering about what the differences in ride and/or feel are with either type of harness.

I have windsurfed for years and much prefer a waist, but have recently started kiting again and am curious if a seat harness would suit me better than my waisty. I am super slim and have no lats to keep a waist harness down around my waist. I have back problems dating back to when I was a teenager (L4/L5), but never noticed a pain difference between the two so luckily that's not an issue for me.

Can one generalise about the affect of each a waist or seat harness has on the type of ride when kiting; hook height and all? I know through windsurfing there is a big difference. Yes, and of course I could borrow one off a mate, but going by the weather report that won't be for a bit...

Cheers!
Will try my best....

I have ridden for years with both types.

Waist:
Higher hook.
Much better for unhooking (or rather, much easier RE-hooking), thus freestyle.
Many prefer this one for waves, as they got a more free lower body and legs.
Can be a bit more "sqeezing" on your body, and not as pleasant/free if really tight (which it has to be, for not sliding up).

Seat:
Lower hook.
You can hold more power, and easier - especially for powered jumps.
For waveriding, you actually get a much more free upper body - so you can turn your upper body more freely.
It also gives you a more pleasant free ride, as you dont have something "sqeezing" you, but just a firm solid connection to your body. This is great if you really like to jump a lot, "oldschool" jumps really high and huge hangtime - and want to enjoy the ride.
You have much more available depower/power - as you can move the bar a lot more on the depower line, because the hook is lower.

I use a seat when out on my raceboard.
And a waist when on my waveboards.
On a TT it does not matter which one (for me).

But if out with the seat and the wind picks up, I can easily pick up my waveboard and ride with the seat, and enjoy the benefits regarding much better upper body rotation and freedom, althoug your lower body is a bit more fixed :D

And opposite - if out with the waist in windy conditions, and the wind goes down - I can easily ride with my waist on a raceboard - eventhough it is a bit harder to hold power with this, and dont feel just as "good" either - but almost the same :D

:thumb: Peter Frank

Pietro_2003
Rare Poster

Postby Pietro_2003 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Thanks Peter, you've touched on a couple of points I hadn't considered.

I'm still green and not even jumping yet. But what got me thinking was that with my transitions when I send the kite to the other side I feel, as you say, squeezed by the harness riding up. Then I started thinking about what it's going to be like when I start jumping... oooouch.

Of course having two harnesses depending on what riding you plan on doing is pretty sweet.

My only real concern was if, with the lower hook, there was any chance of getting inverted (hook lower compared to centre of body weight) while being lifted depending if the hook gets perilously low. Never heard of it so I suppose it doesn't happen.

Thanks again.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:12 am

I prefer waist for windsurfing and seat for kiting. Figure this one out. I have three kinds. I use waist harness to save my rubberized steamers. Seat harnesses tend to wear the steamers at the legs. I use the seat for my Ocean Rodeo dry suit where it can't do any damage and it helps to keep the suit from sliding down. When it's hot I use my shorts seat harness because I don't put any wetsuits but this one pinches my back. As you can see there is no magic bullet.

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SBBeachbum » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:18 am

From what you are saying i) in the beginning stages of kiting and ii) not the strongest build a waist harness will slide up on you. I would therefore look at a comfy seat. Be careful with boardshort harnesses like the nitrous shorts. They have appealing optics and a nice look hook position, which can help especially if you are shorter, but very little support and can hurt like hell after a while. If you can borrow one try it for an hour and see if it works.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:19 am

Waist harness is like a corsette.
Seat harness is like a Swiss Seat for rappelling.... much cooler.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:28 am

Harnesses were discussed at length here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2364332

Waist harnesses do not ride up if you have them adjusted correctly and your technique is right.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:03 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

knuthansen
Medium Poster

Postby knuthansen » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:57 pm

@Peter: Would you say you can jump higher with a seat harness?
I switched to waist and stayed with it after a few months of kiting, so can't really compare that aspect.
But I found that the seat harness limits your edging ability, because it lifts you up when really powered.
So I could not say if you can hold down more power with a seat harness.. probably as a beginner, but also as an advanced rider who knows how to edge?

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:01 pm

i used to wear a waist harnesses until i had a bad kiteloop crash and cracked 2 ribs when the bar jammed into me, was not riding for 2 months and then started wearing seat harnesses due to excessive pain when wearing a waist harness and just got used to it. Just something to consider. boardshort harnesses can be a good compromise they are also lightweight and good for travel they don't last as long if you ride a lot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”