Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beware (Squalls)

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Beware (Squalls)

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:16 pm

Hubbs wrote:Is anyone able to get a link to a bigger picture of that ? The ones posted in the article have are broken links,
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/479 ... be9f_o.jpg

Jahmi
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jahmi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:33 pm

Sometimes it takes a good squall line to teach the thick headed a lesson. I bet next they will have thier kites down long before the squall hits.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Rick I think one reason that sometimes this happens where people keep on riding oblivious to the threatening weather coming is because they do not periodically look behind them where the wind and usually clouds are coming from. I've seen that happen up here often.

:o :o :o Hey bro, you was suppose to put some smilig and laughing faces with this reason, because there's no way you can be serious with that. "They don't look behind them" so no body at your spot ride toeside? does back or front roll rotations? rides blind? wipe out and i have to body drag back to there boards? look up wind before they turn to make sure there are no other riders in there path? How is it even possible to ride a session and not pay attention to your 360 degress? so i take it, you guys don't look back when you're driving your cars either

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med

Postby prayfawind27 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:20 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Hubbs wrote:Is anyone able to get a link to a bigger picture of that ? The ones posted in the article have are broken links,
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/479 ... be9f_o.jpg
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :wallbash: :wallbash: I'm sorry people, i can not feel sorry for the guys
that got hurt that day, take a look at the cloud, i've never seen a Hurricane or water spout produce that formation and i'm speaking from experience. Only 3 kinds of people would still ride in that and that's an donkey, a donkey with a death wish or a donkey that's an idiot with a death wish

greginkw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Augustine and Matanzas inlet Florida.
Smathers beach Key West.
Gear: Everything I can get my hands on.
Brand Affiliation: Airush, F-One, Ozone, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Caution and Wainman.
Axis, Crazy Fly.

Postby greginkw » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:36 am

Actually I think that even a donkey has more brains than to ride in that sort of weather, I think it is an ass that rides in those conditions, then when something happens all the pathetic excuses start coming out. There is too much information out there re riding in bad weather that even someone that is self taught should know that they should not be out in those conditions. I always hope that no one gets hurt, but now when I hear that a rider is hurt through stupidy ,I do not even give it a second thought except that I feel for their families and friends.

Accidents will happen in our sport, they have happened to me and to some of my friends, but we can lessen the danger by not being stupid.

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:38 am

prayfawind27 wrote:
Rick I think one reason that sometimes this happens where people keep on riding oblivious to the threatening weather coming is because they do not periodically look behind them where the wind and usually clouds are coming from. I've seen that happen up here often.

:o :o :o Hey bro, you was suppose to put some smilig and laughing faces with this reason, because there's no way you can be serious with that. "They don't look behind them" so no body at your spot ride toeside? does back or front roll rotations? rides blind? wipe out and i have to body drag back to there boards? look up wind before they turn to make sure there are no other riders in there path? How is it even possible to ride a session and not pay attention to your 360 degress? so i take it, you guys don't look back when you're driving your cars either
As funny as it may seem to you, yes it does happen. People have told me that after they came off the water! Most have been new kiters

They do the other stuff you mentioned but fail to get there eyes on the horizon and see the weather coming in. It's called expanding your field of vision.

Bigger issue here is the lack of knowledge of new kiters of cloud types and basic meteorology necessary to be safe. No excuse with the net resources out there.

Actually in Canada here we drive our cars with our eyes closed 1 of every thirteen miles! :D

(Stupid OT stat: In thirteen miles of driving you have blinked enough that if you closed your eyes for the equivalent time all at once you would drive one mile with your eyes closed. But I digress.)

A bigger problem though

Habi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puerto Rico
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: Kite Banging

Postby Habi » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:50 am

There was an accident yesterday here in Puerto Rico :(

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:55 am

Habi wrote:There was an accident yesterday here in Puerto Rico :(
Hopefully not serious....

Habi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puerto Rico
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: Kite Banging

Postby Habi » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:48 am

The guy was severely injured , from what I heard , he was on the shoreline " doing jumps " and got thrown into " el cementerio " ... that day I was at Ocean Park , the wind was very gusty and unstable until around 2:00pm when the weather started to change very quickly , there were exactly around 7 to 9 guys kiting between Punta Las Marias and Ocean Park including myself . There was a big "squall" approaching .... all I know it was very strong , it was howling !!!! probably he got caught in the squall , it happened at Isla Verde just a couple of minutes from OP , this spot in particular is not safe , because the limited space and a few hazard surrounding the spot .... I hope the best and send my prayers , the guy like I said is severely injured and is tubed :( as soon I get more info I'll keep you up .

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster

Postby prayfawind27 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:43 am

this beast is from Tropical Storm Bonnie,the wind was clocking about 20k, switched my day off to go out today,very temped but didn't even take my kite out of the car
Attachments
20100722_001.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”