Forum for kitesurfers
Luderitz Speed
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Luderitz Speed Event - 2 Weeks to Go!

Postby Luderitz Speed » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:26 am

It's only 2 weeks before the fastest Kite surfers and Windsurfers in the world arrive in Luderitz Bay, Namibia to compete for the title of "Speed Champion of the World" .

The event organisers have been busy ensuring that the 2010 event will produce the fastest times yet recorded in the history of Speed Sailing.

The canal is nearly complete and already record breaking speeds are being recorded.

The new canal has been relocated 50m upwind to capitilize on wind speeds.

A 200 m launch ramp has been built before the start line - so riders enter the speed track fully powered.

At the finish line, the canal extends into the sea, ensuring the highest levels of safety at both the start and the finish of the course.
Attachments
Sophie speed kiting high res.jpg

JoshNoe
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock, Crandon Park, Stilltsville, Miami Beach, Aventura, Dania Beach, Fort Lauderdale (Tiki Beach)
Favorite Beaches: Bimini Bay, Boca Chita, Stilltsville, Stone Harbor New Jersey
Style: Freestyle and Race
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades, Custom 138 Board with Straps, DC Custom Raceboard, NPX Assassin Shorty, 3/3, and 4/3 Fullsuits, NPX Cult Impact Vest.
Brand Affiliation: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear
Location: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear, Americas

Re: Luderitz Speed Event - 2 Weeks to Go!

Postby JoshNoe » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:16 pm

What's the best place to watch video feeds and updates of the event?

gazxtreme
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Walney Island, Lake District, UK
Favorite Beaches: Sotovento Fuerte.
Sanbar at Hurghada Egypt.
Style: Old school, progressing to wake style
Gear: Starkites Sbow 08.
Starkites Sprint 134.
Brand Affiliation: I use Starkites in my school and rode for Starkites in 2008 BKSA grand prix.

Postby gazxtreme » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:42 pm

I will be following this from a distance and it would be good to be able to see a daily update/blog.
Luderitz sounds nearly as good as my local speed spot :wink: but I did't have to dig a big trench, it's 2.5km of natural shallow water that can be used in all wind directions.
foulney by gazxtreme, on Flickr
good luck with the wind guys it's not cheap to hang about for weeks on end out there I bet.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:25 pm

I got the impression the reason they do it at that spot has more to do with the wind then the water. Some kind of bad ass desert wind funnel of speedy wind goodness. :)

k12urf
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby k12urf » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:40 pm

gazxtreme wrote:I will be following this from a distance and it would be good to be able to see a daily update/blog.
Luderitz sounds nearly as good as my local speed spot :wink: but I did't have to dig a big trench, it's 2.5km of natural shallow water that can be used in all wind directions.
foulney by gazxtreme, on Flickr
good luck with the wind guys it's not cheap to hang about for weeks on end out there I bet.
ba

If it's so good why havnt you broken the 40knot barrier yet then Gaz. Its time to man up before Weymouth

gazxtreme
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Walney Island, Lake District, UK
Favorite Beaches: Sotovento Fuerte.
Sanbar at Hurghada Egypt.
Style: Old school, progressing to wake style
Gear: Starkites Sbow 08.
Starkites Sprint 134.
Brand Affiliation: I use Starkites in my school and rode for Starkites in 2008 BKSA grand prix.

Postby gazxtreme » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:39 pm

Ha :D I know it's not the location, I reckon mike's fitted a limiter on the board. I'm going to try few different fins on my next session and Mike's suggested some form of added weight to my impact vest to help me use bigger kites. I'm sure the board is not the problem and I think my angle of attack has improved so going bigger on kites has to be the answer. WIth Weymouth being an annual thing and at the end of the year you will see me man up for the week as I can afford to carry an injury for a few months. I am creeping up the rankings slowly, 16 places up in the last 2 sessions, I'm 77th now.

Return to “Kitesurfing”