Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wakeboarding Should be Taught First

Postby William Munney » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:45 pm

I realize that not all schools have the equipment to do this, but learning to kiteboard would be a lot safer and quicker if students learned how to get up on the board first behind a PWC or boat. With no boarding skills, students are "going over the handlebars" etc., looping, crashing the kites, taking a lot of unnecessary risks which could have been avoided. Not a new idea obviously, but I don't see much mention of this in safety discussions.

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Re: Wakeboarding Should be Taught First

Postby Carlos_C » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:59 pm

No - kiteboarding skills are about the kite - not the board - they should maybe learn to landboard first.
I did 2 -3 months landboarding before I took my first lesson - up and riding second dive of the kite. Upwind riding second or third time on the water - all due to skills learnt kiting on a mountain board.

jack_the_kiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ostia-Rome.Italy
Oostvorne.Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Playa mansa y brava.Punta del este.Uruguay
Style: Freeride
Gear: 09' Waroo 11m²
08' Waroo 7m²
.ar board 139 cm
Brand Affiliation: fan of bestkiteboarding.com & North Kites

Postby jack_the_kiter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:25 pm

wakeboarding and kitesurfing are complementary.
wakeboarding is mainly board skills, kitesurfing is mainly kite skills.

thats why a lot of the pros, wakeboard next to kiteboarding to improve specifically the boarding skills.

especially in preparation for the first start, power strokes on sand are necessary and part of the beginners course.

previous wakeboarding experience is not really necessary to start, but like any board sport it helps.

behindThePeak
Rare Poster

Postby behindThePeak » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:38 pm

they are complementary at the intermediate/advanced level, but contradictory at the beginning level. boardskills help, sure, but in WB the power source flows through your arms and in kiting it flows through your harness. an important difference when you're learning to water start. pull a bar like it's a tow handle and you'll be paying for kite repairs in a hurry.... an expensive habit to un-learn

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Jdizzle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:00 pm

Learning to Wakeboard first is the worst thing you can do in my experience! It seriously hindered me learning to water start!

I was quite good at wakeboarding before learning to kite...this led to some serious muscle memory problems!

Wakeboarding involves pulling yourself out of the water and always pulling/holding the handle tight! This led me to unintentionally pulling on the bar and over sheeting the kite when water starting. I did this over...and over and over before I finally kicked the habit!

Kiting involves sheeting out as soon as you get up and riding, and then a lot of delicate sheeting/kite control at first!

If you want board skills try skateboarding, surfing or snowboarding....OR JUST GET ON WITH IT...IT WILL COME QUICKLY ENOUGH!

Wakeboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Progreso, Yucatán, México
Favorite Beaches: EL yaque, Coche in Margarita and Progreso in México
Style: Wakestyle-Freestyle
Gear: Naish Torch10 2008

Postby Wakeboarder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:16 pm

Well i came from wakeboarding and it was so easy it just took me a couple of down winds to control the kite and then stay up wind,

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:48 pm

I agree with the Willy Munney 100%....I've seen it a thousand times.
"Hey I want to learn to kiteboard!"
Yet they've never done a board sport in their lives and fail miserably at a lesson. Sure they learn to fly the kite ok, but then they get on a board that goes sideways for the first time ever and it's a disaster.

Required? No. Helpful? Yes.
I've seen if for the last 10 years kiting. Someone that has come from a wakeboard background vs. non-wakeboard background, the experienced wakeboarders learn faster and become more competent kiters quicker. You're not fighting the basics of board riding, and you're more focused on learning the kite flying skills. Toeside turns, back rolls, jibes, transitions, butterslides, all inverts..........hands down wakeboarding gets you there much quicker.

If I had or ran a school I would advocate learning wakeboard basics before taking it to the kite.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:16 pm

some schools learn their students how to stand and ride a board as well. They have a bar where the student holds onto, so they learn the water start like this and then the feeling for the board.
That combined with learning to control a kite helps to advance quicker for sure.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:28 pm

I'd say wake boarding will help you with weighting the board correctly and thats about it. It won't help with water starts as they are very different.

Now combine wakeboarding and landboarding and you have the kite control, board weighting and diving the kite technique down its very easy to step into kitesurfing.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Kiteboarding would be a lot safer if students learned how to swim first.

Of course, wakeboarding experience, alongside water-skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, windsurfing, paragliding, body building, dancing, yodeling... you name it, helps learning faster.

Return to “Kitesurfing”