Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any way to make below the bar trim easier?

Forum for kitesurfers
dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Any way to make below the bar trim easier?

Postby dyyylan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:19 pm

I've had 2 different brands that have below the bar depower and it's pretty difficult to trim the kite. You have to take the load off the lines either by riding at the kite, or sitting down in the water and pushing the bar all the way out and trimming before the kite falls. If you're overpowered it's very very difficult to pull the damn line out.

Are there any mods I can do to make this not a pain in the ass? Or any special technique? I would like to keep it below the bar because I attach my leash to the depower line, which is nice for riding unhooked.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Re: Any way to make below the bar trim easier?

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:12 pm

I know what you mean dyylan, the Naish and Slingy can be a pain to trim. However, I have a 2011 Slingshot bar that has a little plastic piece of tubing(< 1in.) around the end of the rope. It's butted up against the knob that you pull to trim. The plastic piece does help the rope from getting stuck(a little), but, still not as easy as the above the bar unfortunately :(
I believe they're making improvements on this however on either the new slingshot or LF(can't remember).
Wish they all were built like the North bar, which IMHO, is the best bar on the market.
Last edited by TommyDuotone on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unbob
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby unbob » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:24 pm

iblocalsurfer wrote:Wish they all were built like the North bar, which IMHO, is the best bar on the market.
I know this doesn't address the OP's question, but I have to agree the NKB bar is the best. Trimming with the NKB bar is super easy and a simple design (always the best). I had a 2008 Naish bar with below the bar trim and it was awful - I had the same problems you described.

laroyboards
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mission beach san diego
Favorite Beaches: San Quintin Baja Mexico
Style: freeride
Gear: Wainman kites Best Kahona kites and my boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby laroyboards » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:35 pm

in San Diego we have been dealing with that problem for a long time all u have to do to any below the bar system is to put a pully on the other end of the rope. the rope just is not designed to wrap around a ring and pull easily.

s29feb
Frequent Poster

Postby s29feb » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:48 pm

Put it above the bar? :rollgrin:

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Better form (waist harness & a straight back helps).
Strength.
Right size kite.
Set up to run at the kite for a sec if you are overpowered, so the pressure is less....

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:18 pm

rbdc.jpg
rbdc.jpg (20.4 KiB) Viewed 1621 times

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:20 am

BWD wrote:Better form (waist harness & a straight back helps).
Strength.
Right size kite.
Set up to run at the kite for a sec if you are overpowered, so the pressure is less....

it has nothing to do with right kite size, sometimes the wind fluctuates a bit and you need to trim so you're not oversheeted when you unhook. currently i either just sit in the water and sheet out to trim, or ride straight at the kite, but then you lose ground and it's annoying. is it hard to just mod it to be above the bar? you can depower Switch kites very easily even while you're riding, also with the best bar.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:43 am

s29feb wrote:Put it above the bar? :rollgrin:
agreed!

geopeck
Frequent Poster

Postby geopeck » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:41 am

I think that you might want to refine the riding at the kite part. I used to point downwind for a bit if I had to wrestle with it, but now I might be giving up a foot or two, and not even going downwind, more switching from upwind to 90. If you start with the trim in your hand ready to pull, edge upwind, and lean back to load the kite with the bar in, then let let it pull you up over the board and push the bar while you depower you aren't giving up much ground. Essentially you're just bouncing against it like you do when you throw yourself some slack to unhook, and you only need a second's slack because the whole motion is harder to initiate than to continue.

Also if your pulley gets oiled once in a while and your stopper ball isn't in the vicinity of the pulley it's a lot easier. You probably already know that though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”