Help - Gripping bar in cold weather

Forum for kitesurfers
turfAndsurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Diego
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Help - Gripping bar in cold weather

Postby turfAndsurf » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:07 am

Besides using the 2mm pair of gloves the other thing that may help with the cold hands is to use a hood, since you lose a certain amount of heat through your head. When your body starts to get cold it tries to keep your core warm while your extremities get less blood flow so it becomes harder to grip and colder.

Gnarfskt
Medium Poster
Style: Jumping
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Gnarfskt » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:12 am

turfAndsurf wrote:Besides using the 2mm pair of gloves the other thing that may help with the cold hands is to use a hood, since you lose a certain amount of heat through your head. When your body starts to get cold it tries to keep your core warm while your extremities get less blood flow so it becomes harder to grip and colder.
I use a wet cap under the hood, helps keeping your head warm. Another thing is of course thermal underwears, preferable double layers. I also use prolimits heater west which is quite nice, though I think thermal underwear is the best and absolutely cheapest solution to keep your body warm.

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Postby Miltsface » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:30 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
edt wrote: I don't think the 2mm mystic glove, even if it is precurved, is going to help me out on the *really* cold days.

The mystic glove is a "dry" glove, so the 2mm works great as long as your hands stay dry. I've found that they work great with a dry suit (no leakage at all), but with a wet suit i do get some leakage from water running down my arm inside the suit, which ends up in the glove. it doesn't flush thru, but once your hands are damp, they're not nearly as warm.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:41 am

Miltsface wrote: The mystic glove is a "dry" glove, so the 2mm works great as long as your hands stay dry. I've found that they work great with a dry suit (no leakage at all), but with a wet suit i do get some leakage from water running down my arm inside the suit, which ends up in the glove. it doesn't flush thru, but once your hands are damp, they're not nearly as warm.
Thanks.
How is that practical, though, as your hands naturally get wet if you take the gloves off to adjust a strap, line or whatever? I have never put my gloves on and left them on an entire session...for one reason or another, I'm peeling them off for something and then putting wet hands back into them...

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjelleren » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:45 pm

I find the dakine open palm mitts to be the best. You can peel the mitt back to expose your fingers, if need be. You can also use your warm breath to restore numb fingers. No problem holding the bar. Warmer than my closed palm mitts and gloves.

laroyboards
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mission beach san diego
Favorite Beaches: San Quintin Baja Mexico
Style: freeride
Gear: Wainman kites Best Kahona kites and my boards

Postby laroyboards » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:43 pm

just experienced this problem in Mexico my opinion is 2 mil max and go just a shade large on the gloves. to tight and u cant keep a grip on the bar. and the gloves should be made of smothy material only. thats all i know .

Return to “Kitesurfing”