Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

would you consider this line stretch a warranty issue?

Forum for kitesurfers
acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

would you consider this line stretch a warranty issue?

Postby acctx » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:20 pm

I bought a kite last august. The lines have stretched in a very strange way. The steering lines are off from each other by about 6 inches so that they can no longer be adjusted to be the same length. One of the steering lines is about half an inch longer than the other. If I recall they started off about 3 inches off but I was able to adjust them to be the same length.

Would you consider this to be a warranty issue? If so would you consider extra pigtails to adjust the lines to be the right length a sufficient fix?

Is this a symptom of something bad about to happen?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: would you consider this line stretch a warranty issue?

Postby Hawaiis » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:39 am

My front lines stretch about 1 inch per month. but they were pretty even. the back lines were used less than the front lines, and they are pretty even too.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:53 am

Definitely a warranty issue if your lines cannot be stretched right again. Having said this last august is a bit limit timewise.
Some brands did have faulty productions issues but the ones I know of have offered replacement lines without fuss.
Nico

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:52 am

Wow that sounds excessive. I wonder what is going on...are they not testing li es? Ive had my lines for a season and I doubt they stretched much at all

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:57 am

Nico wrote:Definitely a warranty issue if your lines cannot be stretched right again. Having said this last august is a bit limit timewise.
Some brands did have faulty productions issues but the ones I know of have offered replacement lines without fuss.
Nico
These are the replacement 2011 cabrinha lines

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:52 am

You mean your lines have been replaced to the single colour ones ?
If yes, I have never had any uneven stretching issue with these, and I do use lots of cabrinha gear (school and private).
YOur problem sounds more like the issue they had beofre replacing the lines (the multicolor ones).
It does sometimes hapen that a line gets elongated compared to another one (if you constantly loop in one direction for exemple), but here you should be able to stretch the other one to the same length.
Nico

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Just wondering, but do you jump or loop more agressively on one tack compared to the other? Do you always loop your kite the same way?

Years ago when I was really only out there to huck big airs, my rear lines would get out of whack because I would repetitively pull so much harder on my strong jumping side. I just switched my rear lines once it got really noticable at the bar and it would even out soon enough. The front lines would eventually get out of trim for the same reason, but to a much lesser extent. I would eventually switch those and it would also even out. I think (but not sure) the opposite front and rear lines stretch from agressive repetitive jumping looping in one direction.

Now that lines are color coded I can see the hesitation to swap em but it really is a simple fix.

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:11 pm

been on the same bar and lines for almost 2 years. Outlasted 3 kites. Never had one cm stretch. And I ride hard. bridal snapped and pulled way off center etc, no stretching. Even had a knot in one line for 1.5 years.. nothing wrong with them.
It's a SS bar/lines (2010/11)
Came with Octane (dead), rode with old eclipse (dead) now with new Evo. Lines even, as new.

No idea how you stretch your lines that much.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:29 pm

FabsPH wrote:been on the same bar and lines for almost 2 years. Outlasted 3 kites. Never had one cm stretch. And I ride hard. bridal snapped and pulled way off center etc, no stretching. Even had a knot in one line for 1.5 years.. nothing wrong with them.
It's a SS bar/lines (2010/11)
Came with Octane (dead), rode with old eclipse (dead) now with new Evo. Lines even, as new.

No idea how you stretch your lines that much.

My slingshot lines never stretched either. I've had 2012 switchblades about. 3 months and I've already adjusted the center lines twice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”