WTF

Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: WTF

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:47 am

ThickAir wrote:...By the way, for the OP, I would have kited over to you if I were out. If I were on the beach and it was off-shore winds, no way would I kite out to you. Next thing you know, there may be 2 kiters facing a long swim in.
Ahh, that's a good point. If the winds were offshore than another kiter going out would just add to the risk.
Should have called for help, though, if this was a location where boats/skis could be found.

So that raises a question...what if you're out there, swimming in, but clearly far out. Your friends see you in trouble and hire a jet ski to go out and get you. Are you going to pay the $100 for the ski when they get you or will you be saying, "I'm not paying for that, I was swimming in just fine on my own!"
Ahhh, the questions to consider...

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:37 am

CaptainArgh wrote:
ThickAir wrote:...By the way, for the OP, I would have kited over to you if I were out. If I were on the beach and it was off-shore winds, no way would I kite out to you. Next thing you know, there may be 2 kiters facing a long swim in.
Ahh, that's a good point. If the winds were offshore than another kiter going out would just add to the risk.
Should have called for help, though, if this was a location where boats/skis could be found.

So that raises a question...what if you're out there, swimming in, but clearly far out. Your friends see you in trouble and hire a jet ski to go out and get you. Are you going to pay the $100 for the ski when they get you or will you be saying, "I'm not paying for that, I was swimming in just fine on my own!"
Ahhh, the questions to consider...
That all depends if you had bothered to give the "I'm okay signal". If you had then no one would/should call for help. If you did not then its your fault for not letting those watching you know you are okay.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Robsw6 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:31 am

Very depressing....

You are your Brother's keeper

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:24 am

another WTF:

at a hotel at a kite spot in Cumbuco.
I am talking to some friends, and see in my eyes corner a kite looping at the beach, wrapping around a powerline...I immediately start to run to help...luckily all good and the guys recovered his kite himself.
So I walk back...and see all those guys right in front of the beach watching the scene...no one got up to help...I had to run from further back...

Honestly, you guys SUCK ! Take up another sport! :angryfire:

uncle sammy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby uncle sammy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Toby did you tell them off ?
You should have.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:11 pm

I was close to it...but would have yelled...so better not..

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby 20 m or bust » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:29 am

We kite in lakes so no chance if being lost at sea, but you can spend a lot of time in the water and walking back to the launch when something goes wrong. I have towed in people at least a dozen times and been towed in a couple times myself. To me it's the least we can do. A big part of the fun and draw of kiteboarding is the community. IMHO anyway. Had I been there, I would have dragged out to you and towed you back in.

Return to “Kitesurfing”