Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Camrig Line mount mishap

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:51 pm

I have been riding a bunch with a line mount and tend to get a snag from one steering line at least once a session. No biggie, I can shake it out immediately while sometimes it may take a minute. While this occurs, I can make the the adjustment to fly the kite and keeping it from flying all crazy on me or turning into a looping nightmare.

I just wanted to provide some cautionary information to anyone who uses the line mounts since I had gone out a few days ago and my tangle was more significant and made me think that given the right conditions or scenario, it could really be a much bigger issue in which flagging the kite or completely ditching the kite all together might be the most viable option to prevent injury.

Basically a single steering line might get caught if I land powered and head downwind fast or any scenario in which I provide slack in my lines. In this particular instance, I think I headed downwind pretty far trying to just regain some balance from a powered landing and both steering lines got hung up on the camrig. I had been doing a few front rolls in the same direction, so I'm not sure if my swivel was jammed and that added to the difficulty of trying to undo the snag or not. Normally, it seems the camrig helps my swivel work more effectively. Anyway, I couldn't get a good idea of where the lines were caught. It was slightly gusty and the control was reduced and the lines were slow to slide along each other and the rig. I quickly started thinking perhaps the lines criss crossed under and maybe back again over the rig plus the twist from my front roll in play. I don't think any kind of shaking could have freed them.

I made the call to head back to my tether since if what I pictured in my mind I don't think flagging would have been safe and I still had enough control to fly it. When I tethered the kite and untangled the issue, I took off the camrig too. I can't remember exactly but I think my twist from my front roll was below the camrig, and both steering lines were on one side of the mount. I honestly can't remember, I was just glad nothing got out of control since all the lines were pretty taught.

I just want everyone using this mount to know that potential hazards can come about, not just depending on your flagging system, but from intense line slack. I can't even remember whether I unspun the bar because it seemed like as soon as I landed, a gust hit and the slacked lines pulled tight and then it was uncomfortable to fly. This put me on high alert and I had to make the quick decision to go in and manage the problem.

I hope you guys can picture this in your head and use it to your advantage in the future should you have something similar happen. Like I said, I don't think my tangle was as bad as it could get, but after this I can picture how crazy the tangle (snag) can get and potentially cause severe kite looping, or dragging event.

Happy Holidays all

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Re: Camrig Line mount mishap

Postby irwe » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Were you land kiting? What type of bar?
Thanks for the heads up!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:55 pm

It also happens if you loop the kite...which is a problem.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Been thanked: 0

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:39 pm

I was on the water, conditions were about 12-25 mph maybe some slightly higher gusts. Theres a bit of windshadow down in the slicks were I was but overall it wasn't that gusty. I was using my RRD global bar, V4 I think with a high Y. Also it is trimmed to the middle knot by the swivel so there is a flag end that hangs out that doesn't get in the way but snags on occasion.

I have looped it a bunch without problems but I think any situation where the lines slack could present a problem.

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80
Local Beach: La Saline - Reunion Island
Favorite Beaches: La Prairie - Mauritius
Tarifa
Style: Freeride - Freestyle - Strapless - Foil
Gear: 2017 Naish Dash, 2019 Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Soul 12m
NHP SplitBoard Carbon(2016) , 50/Fifty
Nobile Infinity Split Foil 5'2
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Another mishap

Postby Sgallian » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:12 pm

Well, it happened to me this WE as well:

(You can hear the line grinding against the case).

Naish Park 2012, 12m, luckily, onshore wind not too strong: 12-14 knots and I was far away from the beach, so had time to sort it out.
This was with the Camrig Universal Mount, on which I mount a GoPro Hero 3+. I had a Drift Ghost before, and had no such problem with it, so the form-factor of the GoPro makes it prone to this kind of mishap (and I understand now why they make GoPro specific mounts instead of promoting the same mount for every camera).
I stopped reccording, but I was not completely "out of the woods" after that: the kite was not balanced anymore: one of the front line got twisted around the mount, but I could go back to shore. The mount was warped, and the line got out of one of the green plugs, but I could reshape it.

This convinces me that I could put the mount higher up the lines: it is designed to bend and not break, though it would mean that I should shorten the back lines in order to get the same depower range and I am not sure how the kite would behave...
But while putting it higher up would lessen the probability of one of the back line getting stuck, it would mean that in case it does, it would be much more difficult to get to it...

What do you think?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:20 am

Hmm, good to know it can happen. I've accidentally put my line mount RIGHT where the lines cross when you twist them, and I've never been able to get them caught, they always pop right out even after doing 2-3 rotations in the same direction with the kite fully powered up.

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80
Local Beach: La Saline - Reunion Island
Favorite Beaches: La Prairie - Mauritius
Tarifa
Style: Freeride - Freestyle - Strapless - Foil
Gear: 2017 Naish Dash, 2019 Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Soul 12m
NHP SplitBoard Carbon(2016) , 50/Fifty
Nobile Infinity Split Foil 5'2
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:48 am

@dyyylan: and you're using this mount: http://camrig.com/line-mount/universal- ... e-mount-v1 ?
As PVITfrumBYRAM said, if you get some slack in your lines, it seems pretty easy to have your lines stuck between the mount and the GoPro: what you see in the video happened in the very 1st session when I started using this set-up, after 30 minutes... But then, as you could see, I am just starting rotations, so maybe someone more experienced would never let his lines go slack...
But what you wrote made me think that maybe I should put the mount closer to the swivel: in case of slack lines, they would be further apart due to the length of the bar...
So for me, it comes to either put them higher up, to use width of the kite, or right next to the swivel, to use the length of the bar, but in any case avoid to put it right where the lines cross.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:21 pm

Nice recovery Sgallian...damn scary having the fingers in the lines. :baby:

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:04 pm

I use a line mount on rrd bars quite a bit and slide the line mount about 3 m above the y-junction so it is well above the point where the lines twist. I have no problems with back lines catching on the camera during kite loops with line twists in this position. It also keeps the camera a bit further away from the rider to get more of the background in. It does pinch the front lines in a bit but easy to compensate for the ~ 1" length difference with the depower, and the line mount seems plenty strong enough to handle the outward tension from the pinched lines. I used both a contour mount and a gopro3 line mount in this location. The only time I have had line caught on the camera is on initial launch but that easy to see and fix. It has been fine on the water with multiple twists and normal amount of line slack during loops/downloops etc

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:03 pm

Sgallian wrote:@dyyylan: and you're using this mount: http://camrig.com/line-mount/universal- ... e-mount-v1 ?
As PVITfrumBYRAM said, if you get some slack in your lines, it seems pretty easy to have your lines stuck between the mount and the GoPro: what you see in the video happened in the very 1st session when I started using this set-up, after 30 minutes... But then, as you could see, I am just starting rotations, so maybe someone more experienced would never let his lines go slack...
But what you wrote made me think that maybe I should put the mount closer to the swivel: in case of slack lines, they would be further apart due to the length of the bar...
So for me, it comes to either put them higher up, to use width of the kite, or right next to the swivel, to use the length of the bar, but in any case avoid to put it right where the lines cross.
I am using the v2 line mount (which doesn't fit the gopro 3 very well but it works), and yeah i've gotten totally slacked lines with the kite in the water, wrapped up at least 3 times all tangled around the mount. I've gotten it tangled a few times like that and I've never had any problems just untwisting my bar.

It's possible I have the mount in exactly the right spot (right where the lines cross when you spin the bar) so if it was an inch higher or lower maybe it would have gotten stuck, who knows. Obviously it's possible for it to tangle because there are videos of it happening ;)

Just a quick picture to illustrate where my mount is:

Return to “Kitesurfing”