Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Will spleene ever make the zone board again?

Forum for kitesurfers
usa
Medium Poster

Re: Will spleene ever make the zone board again?

Postby usa » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:17 pm

the board has not much rocker, but it has so much flex that you can choose your own rocker with pressure on the back foot. I also have the Slingshot T-Rex 5.4, which is a very good waveboard, but not good for early planning. The Spleene does both very well.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:14 am

I wonder what the rocker line looks like on the Zone 5.3 compared to the Shinn Shinnster?
I wonder about a lot of things in comparison between the two.
They are the same length at 160cm but the Zone is 49.5cm wide while the Shinnster is 46cm wide.
The outline of the Zone is more surfboard shaped with the fish tail and the nose looking like a fish surfboard, where that Shinnster has the rear end that is straight across like a race board or the Paipo and the nose is a wide arc and has no point to speak of.
I'm guessing the Shinnster is more flexible, but Spleene describes the Zone as having good flex.
The 5.3 Zone has four fairly large fins in a normal quad arrangement, while the Shinnster has just two 57mm fins from a twintip with no toe in or camber to them.
Anybody have anything to contribute to this conversation I'm having with myself, please feel free to chime in. :)

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:59 am

Oldnbroken wrote:The length is 160 cm / 5' 3" ....pretty short for a surfboard.
The width is 49.5 cm / 19.5 inches ....so not really super wide either.
Does the board take as much power (or more or less) to plane and go upwind as an average 5' 8" kite surfboard?
Like a Slingshot Celeritas 5' 8' or Naish Skater 5' 9" or whatever.

I have the older 6' Zone I picked up on the forum here. It's definitely a different board but it's no surfboard. It's super flexy which is GREAT in the chop and you can get tons of speed with it but it's basically a twintip and needs power. A surfboard with volume will get you going a little earlier, ride through the luls better and let you ride the wave without sinking. If you're powered up the Zone's a little better going upwind as you can dig the rail as well as use the fins. Overall a fun board and you can jump it without worrying about landing perfectly. I wouldn't say it's a sufrboard replacement though.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:40 am

So, we have one fellow in Denmark who bought a Zone 5.3 and has provided feedback, which is great and helpful.
But really, nobody else here has bought one?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:23 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:So, we have one fellow in Denmark who bought a Zone 5.3 and has provided feedback, which is great and helpful.
But really, nobody else here has bought one?
The Oase thread on the Zone.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... rev=search
Last edited by ronnie on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

usa
Medium Poster

Postby usa » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:15 pm

we have a few guys here around using it (germany, not denmark), but not everybody is posting it on Kiteforum. Germans use OASE.com mostly...

windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby windyway » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:58 pm

norcom wrote:
Does the board take as much power (or more or less) to plane and go upwind as an average 5' 8" kite surfboard?
I have the older 6' Zone I picked up on the forum here. It's definitely a different board but it's no surfboard. It's super flexy which is GREAT in the chop and you can get tons of speed with it but it's basically a twintip and needs power. A surfboard with volume will get you going a little earlier, ride through the luls better and let you ride the wave without sinking. If you're powered up the Zone's a little better going upwind as you can dig the rail as well as use the fins. Overall a fun board and you can jump it without worrying about landing perfectly. I wouldn't say it's a sufrboard replacement though.

Rainer- Can you make one more size please.

174 x 49cm 5-8x19.25 inches.
This is the perfect surfboard size for kiting.

More length = Wave catching, steep drops and deep bottom turns.
More length = More waterline tracks better going upwind
More width = For lighter wind, whitewater float, and stable for easier jibes.

This size is for real surfers and a gives more surfboard feel.
This size is for bigger guys.
This size will have big wave control and be light wind friendly.

When can I send you my order?????

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:38 pm

So I've been falling in love more and more with my older model 6' Zone. It seems to be the board I keep grabbing, unless it's just SUPER light. The thing rocks in chop, junk waves and landing bad jumps :lol: It just doesn't have the super low end I sometimes need.

I keep checking out the new Zone with the foil mounts and according to the Spleene site the foil mount holes are 75x120 where as my LF foil is 90x120. It seems the 90x120 is more common though?

Any thoughts of an adapter? Anyone using the new Zone with a foil, what make foil? The foil inserts SEEM a lot less secure than the bolts that go all the way through the FoilFish. I do hate riding the FoilFish when the mount holes spray water all over you; among other things. I'm usually too lazy to cover them up.

I haven't measured how much space there's on the foil to drill new holes in it. I've seen the pictures of a guy who drilled the holes through his Zone to mount the foil with the reinforcement plates. I'm just not ready to drill holes in any of my gear, yet. :D

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mallorca Beaches
Style: Riding nice waves & Hydrofoil
Gear: Maverick Kites
Pintxo Bar
Brand Affiliation: Kauper XT

Postby Rainer Kauper » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:00 pm

windyway wrote:
norcom wrote:

Rainer- Can you make one more size please.

174 x 49cm 5-8x19.25 inches.
This is the perfect surfboard size for kiting.

More length = Wave catching, steep drops and deep bottom turns.
More length = More waterline tracks better going upwind
More width = For lighter wind, whitewater float, and stable for easier jibes.

This size is for real surfers and a gives more surfboard feel.
This size is for bigger guys.
This size will have big wave control and be light wind friendly.

When can I send you my order?????
Hi,

we are working on some new things for wave kitesurfing.

Please stay tuned with Spleene.

We will present everything at the Kitesurfing World Cup in Germany from 20th to 30th of August.

I am sure Toby will take a lot of pictures and post them in the forum here.

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
-------------------
www.spleene.com

kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kruzlifix » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:46 pm

norcom wrote:So I've been falling in love more and more with my older model 6' Zone. It seems to be the board I keep grabbing, unless it's just SUPER light. The thing rocks in chop, junk waves and landing bad jumps :lol: It just doesn't have the super low end I sometimes need.

I keep checking out the new Zone with the foil mounts and according to the Spleene site the foil mount holes are 75x120 where as my LF foil is 90x120. It seems the 90x120 is more common though?

Any thoughts of an adapter? Anyone using the new Zone with a foil, what make foil? The foil inserts SEEM a lot less secure than the bolts that go all the way through the FoilFish. I do hate riding the FoilFish when the mount holes spray water all over you; among other things. I'm usually too lazy to cover them up.

I haven't measured how much space there's on the foil to drill new holes in it. I've seen the pictures of a guy who drilled the holes through his Zone to mount the foil with the reinforcement

plates. I'm just not ready to drill holes in any of my gear, yet. :D

For me the spleene zone 5.3 and the Levitaz foil is the best combo I can imagine. I am an overaged and overweight foiling beginner who prefers strapless, after a few days using "the mushroom= flipflop technolgy).
The position of the spleene screw inserts are certainly special, but I simply drilled the new holes into the levitaz footplate. As easy as previously when I was drilling wholes in my old Spleene board.
The new Zone foil inserts are certainly not very strong but the weakest point when hiting a rock on a foil is definately not the mast but the front Wing, see the foto....
Thanks to the low volume of the spleene, waterstarting is a piece of cake and the length of the board allows you easy planing in low wind ( remember the door).
After a few weeks of use I must say I am very satisfied with the spleene zone as a foiling board, I did change however their ugly and somewhat slippery footpading...
Andreas
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”