Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Tack and Winkowska Sweep Nitro City Kite and Cable Challenge

Postby Toby » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:15 am

PKRA News:

Tack and Winkowska Sweep Nitro City Kite and Cable Challenge

tkick.jpg
tkick.jpg (46.33 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
The final day of the Kiteboard World Cup Panama wrapped up with Christophe Tack and Karolina Winkowska earning the top spots in the Nitro City Kite and Cable Challenge, sweeping both the first and second disciplines.

With all the pressure from the main event freestyle contest behind them, the riders seized the opportunity to participate in a fun competition format that combined two of the many sports on offer here in Nitro City - kiteboarding and cable wakeboarding.

Today’s Cable contest had the top eight men and four women finishers from yesterday’s kiteboarding Best Trick contest doing battle for the top spot by showcasing their skills behind the cable. Taking place a mere 150 meters from the beach, the stage was set with the Red Bull mobile DJ unit spinning tunes and American kite pro Erik Reinstra commentating the action.

With six passes through the two-obstacle course, riders were judged half on their tricks on the kicker and the other half on their slider maneuvers. The sum of their score from today and yesterday’s kiteboarding best trick contest was then added together to decide the winner.

Taking to the water first were the ladies, who were clearly having fun as the amped crowd cheered them on. With some solid passes and spectacular crashes, the ladies put forth a valiant effort. In the end, it was Karolina Winkowska’s Frontside 360 off the kicker and nice ollie on slider hits that led her to the win with both the highest kite and cable score.

For the men it was Aaron Hadlow and Christophe Tack that shined the brightest, as they demonstrated solid execution of a variety of tricks on both the slider and kicker.

Hadlow styled out the first big hit of the day with a Toeside Backside 540 off the kicker as well as a smooth Nose Press to Blind on the slider. Tack also went big and almost landed a Heel Frontside 900 after stomping a consecutive Backside 540 and Frontside 270.

In the end, Hadlow’s cable scores totaled 0.1 point higher than Tack’s, however after combining the cable and kite scores, Tack came out on top, giving him the victory by a mere 1.1 point spread.

With the winners of the Nitro City Kite and Cable Challenge decided, the Kiteboard World Cup Panama officially came to a close with a spectacular award ceremony crowning the event champions and awarding the Sportsman Award to Eudazio DaSilva, and the Best Newcomer Award to Analous Lammerts.

A surprising, suspense filled, and fantastic event now sets a high bar for the next event to come in Morocco.
Attachments
KITE_AND_CABLE_CONTEST_RANKING.jpg
KITE_AND_CABLE_CONTEST_RANKING.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 1374 times

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle

Re: Tack and Winkowska Sweep Nitro City Kite and Cable Chall

Postby Toby » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:43 pm

madmax7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nitro City Kite

Postby madmax7 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:54 pm

I am thinking to visit this place for kiteboarding,

Can anyone advice on winds and stingray situation?

Want to go in January, it looks like mostly 12 M winds and dies off from 10 am to 3

Also where did you stay, I hear Nitro is expensive and noisy

Any input would help, are stingrays on shore or also in water? Since looks like kiting is close to shore

Thanks Max

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Nitro City Kite

Postby TheJoe » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:08 pm

madmax7 wrote:I am thinking to visit this place for kiteboarding,

Can anyone advice on winds and stingray situation?

Want to go in January, it looks like mostly 12 M winds and dies off from 10 am to 3

Also where did you stay, I hear Nitro is expensive and noisy

Any input would help, are stingrays on shore or also in water? Since looks like kiting is close to shore

Thanks Max
I went last year and stayed at Nitro. It is expensive but I think there are some other condos or hotels down there where you can stay. There is nothing down there the only place to eat or drink is at Nitro. It is a very chill place if there is no crowd down there. Rode everyday I was there on a 13m and did not get hit by a stingray but I wear boots. Watch out for jellies though they were every where.

I'm looking to go back there at some point it is pretty amazing there.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle

Re: Tack and Winkowska Sweep Nitro City Kite and Cable Chall

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:19 am

Are the jellies there the whole year or only a certain period?

Return to “Kitesurfing”