JDMsquirrel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Southampton, UK
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rank these kites

Postby JDMsquirrel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi. I want to buy a 12-13m freeride and occasional wave kite for an intermediate level (with bar). Easy relaunch, decent upwind, good in gusts, decent low end, and some fun wanted. My options are endless and i'm so confused. Please help me by ranking the following kites without any comments. Only latest models.

If you haven't tried the kite please don't rank it.

North Dice
Ozone catalyst
Switch Nitro
Ikon Peak
Slingshot RPM
Cabrinah Switchblade
Naish Park
Core Riot XR3

Thanks for your opinions!

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Re: Rank these kites

Postby Macisback » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:23 pm

Your post is somehow not easy to answer :-)

I rode only:

Cabrinha Switchblade
Core Riot XR3

I personally ride the Naish Draft (and as Robby Naish himself rides the Draft in Waves too, I plan on doing the same).

The Core XR3 is a nice kite and really easy to fly and jump. I dont know how it behaves in big waves, but for a downwinder on small waves it behaved really nice. Less boost then the Cabrinha, but a bit easier to fly.

Rest of the kites I havent flown.

Like always: Try to get yoour hands on demo kites and try by yourself!
Tastes are different obviously!

JDMsquirrel
Rare Poster

Postby JDMsquirrel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks. Yes i know everyone likes different things. I guess its a mini survey to see the most popular kite (popular in terms of liking it, not most bought or rented). If loads of people highly rank the Dice, for example, then surely i can't be too unhappy with my purchase unless i was wanting a specific attribute - which is why ive narrowed the above list to kites i think would suit me. Maybe they're all the same at my level. I don't have time to demo them all!

JDMsquirrel
Rare Poster

Postby JDMsquirrel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks. Yes i know everyone likes different things. I guess its a mini survey to see the most popular kite (popular in terms of liking it, not most bought or rented). If loads of people highly rank the Dice, for example, then surely i can't be too unhappy with my purchase unless i was wanting a specific attribute - which is why ive narrowed the above list to kites i think would suit me. Maybe they're all the same at my level. I don't have time to demo them all!

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:32 pm

I have ridden the Dice and Switchblade from your list. I would also think that specifying the year or generation of kite you're interested in would help. Switchblades for example have changed in feel and pull in recent years.

I have ridden 2012 SB's a lot and find them to have big pull, big bar pressure and great lofty hang time. I have been told by an experienced SB rider that the 2104 is reminiscent of the 2012 but with a bit less bar pressure and a bit more fast turning.

There's tons of info out there on the Dice. I would rank at as my number one favorite kite of all time. I'm not a freestyle guy but more a wave guy who likes to jump now and then. The Dice does waves better than the SB because it drifts better and the bar pressure is less. Kite just plain feels lighter. Low end is not as pronounced. I don't think the Dice has a as much hang time as the SB but the acceleration up is great and the hang time is pretty good.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:19 pm

Park

The no comment part is hard. Park is my preference but it's the only kite I've spent enough time on to actually say much about. 12 park is great.

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:32 pm

+1 the Park!
The 2014 is really a awesome kite!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:14 pm

whichever one you like the most

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:20 pm

dyyylan wrote:whichever one you like the most

+1

you gotta go demo and see what works for you.

Opinions on here are meaningless. people have always pimped the gear they currently ride (myself included).

whats right for someone else might not work at all for you.

Mark

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:06 pm

Sorry just reread - you said latest models so disregard any Switchblade comments I made.

I disagree that this info wouldn't help you. I've made most of my purchases (Zephyr, Mako King, North Whip, Surftech Xanadu Wave Rocket, Dynabar, Slingshot Rev) from firsthand feedback from other folks who have ridden or used the gear. I can rarely demo stuff so I rely heavily on this feedback.

I will say your wording is tough - to "rank" a kite. The Dice is my most dynamic and exciting kite. I got some of my greatest hang time on a Rally and a Switchblade. They are hard to rank...

Return to “Kitesurfing”