tr3v
Frequent Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha 2015

Postby tr3v » Mon May 26, 2014 9:09 pm

I think 2014 was a good Cabrinha year. I cannot understand why there is still no protection for the seams on the leading edge though. Cabrinha pride themselves on being durable yet the first point of failure for me has been the leading edge seams since the 2011 models were introduced.

The only other (minor) problem I have had is that the 2014 centre lines stretched a lot (15cm or 6") relative to rear lines.

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Mon May 26, 2014 11:06 pm

ronnie wrote:
Cab Driver wrote:
Dave_5280 wrote:I wonder if they will come out with a split board, and maybe another improvement in reassembling the IDS, refine the adjustable bar from the first year? More light wind kite improvements are always a target. Faster turning, more low end grunt, more durability, better lines, graphics for kites...
Hi Dave_5280, have you had a chance to review and try 2014 kites yet?

1/ IDS was discontinued after 2013. Maybe you are referring to the Quicklink Loop? This is the only system in the market that has 100% fully spinning lines and leash. Plus the hook was added on the QR and it's not hard to reset anymore. 2012 was hard to reset.

2/ I'm not sure what more we could improve on the lightwind kites. The Velocity 18 is the benchmark kite for lightwind. Nothing can touch the low end. The Contra has received only rave reviews for it's turning speed, easy relaunch, light bar, etc. Contra is a "fun" lightwind kite, while Velocity is the mac daddy of power. Plus Switchblade is by far the best overall wind range with great low end and the fastest turning edition we have ever made.

3/ Durability: I'm not aware of any other kite in the market that has the durability features that we use such as two plys of material on the struts, 2DR double ripstop canopy material, thicker double ripstop on the trailing edge and wingtips, etc. I'm pretty sure that Cabrinha is know to have extremely durable kites. 10 years ago, things we different.

4/ The flying lines we use are amazing. Check out a bar that has been used in a school for one year, see what, if any, stretching there has been in those lines and how they feel in your hands. These lines are excellent quality and performance and the media agrees with us if you check out the reviews on flying lines.

Sorry if I sound a little defensive, but I just want you to know what features and performance we do currently have in 2014. 2015 will just get better!
I'm sorry to see the IDS withdrawn as I cannot see anything on the market that is as suitable for drift launching. I have a couple of 2009 IDS Crossbows which I will use until they wear out, and bought a 2013 Switchblade because the IDS was being withdrawn.

It so happens that drift launching suits where I want to do most of my kiting. Self launching and landing is very safe using the IDS Crossbows for drift launching and they are very simple and safe to pack down by reversing the drift launch.

I can understand that the LE shape needed to make the IDS work properly limited designs and Cabrinha deciding to abandon two front line flagging completely to keep everything compatable, but I think the IDS LW Crossbow or something similar deserves to survive, as it would be my recommendation for any of my windsurf friends that want to take up kiting in the same area as I think suits drift launching (which is also where they mostly windsurf).

It could be a Contra, Crossbow or Switchblade in about 17m, but because in light winds they would often be kiting alone and would want one kite and one board to kite in light wind and windsurf when it was windier, such a kite would solve my problem of what to advise them to get. The kite would have to drop completely onto it's back by itself every time when flagged in deep water without swimming toward it to qualify as a fully functioning IDS kite.

I agree that flagging to one front line in a real emergency is a bit safer, but because of the extra safety when drift launching with a fully functioning IDS kite, I consider overall I am safer with the IDS and it is more convenient.
Ronnie,

could you elaborate on how the IDS helps with drift launching? I guess you mean you enter the water with the front lines rolled a couple of meters before the backlines and then unroll the lines on the water? Just curious about the technique you use, as I somehow also have to drift launch but am not so sure about the best way to do it.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon May 26, 2014 11:42 pm

lobodomar wrote:
Ronnie,

could you elaborate on how the IDS helps with drift launching? I guess you mean you enter the water with the front lines rolled a couple of meters before the backlines and then unroll the lines on the water? Just curious about the technique you use, as I somehow also have to drift launch but am not so sure about the best way to do it.
My pack down and drift launch method for light wind with the Xbows is:-

Set the kite at 2 o'clock and quickly pull down the centre lines until I get to the bottom of the V of the front lines. The kite will land at the side of the window and flip over into the parked position and drift to directly downwind.
Hold the bottom of the front lines at the centre of the bar and fold the right rear line over to the centre of the bar and hold it there too. Wind the doubled up centre lines around the right side of the bar. Wind all 4 lines on figure 8 style as normal and when I reach the bridle, do a couple of half-hitches.
From then on I make sure the bar never passes through the bridle/lines.

For drift launch I reverse the process keeping the bar low to the water while close to the kite and making sure I let out all 4 lines evenly. Then I unwind the doubled up centreline until I get to just having the V of the front lines held at the centre of the bar with the unwound powerline/centreline hanging down and both rear lines free. Then pull in one rear line to turn the kite, making sure the other rear line goes under the kite. Once there is only tension on the rear line, release the front lines and finish turning and launching the kite.

I can stop and reverse that process at any time up until I release the front lines.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:55 pm

IDS does nothing for drift launch... I drift launch 75% of the time. Best way:

1) attach your leash to the pump loop on the TE
2) fly the kite on it's back holding the TE/leash, as you wish
3) you can let go of the kite and let it fly on it's back at the end of the leash
4) walk across the wind as you in wind your lines
5) once unwinded, flip the kite over on the LE, the lines are behind it in a big loop, some twisting but no loops or tangles.
6) undo your leash,hold the kite,
7) lift each side of the LE so you see the whole bridle on each side, all the way, there should be no twisting or anything, this is life and death importance.
8) once ready, send the kite by turning the LE downwind, the wind will keep half of the canopy down and it will push the other wingtip.. . You can help it by walking in the wind to shorten the drift.. You can pull a rear line to pull the kite so it sits deep in the window.
9) do a standard launch.

Some folks put water on the canopy but it gets blown away and sometimes the kite tilts back and shoots up. ALWAYS attach your leash so the kite will flag out if QR is activated and be ready to ditch the kite... Just in case.

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Tue May 27, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks Ronnie,

your method sounds a bit more complicated than what I'm used to with but must be really reliable once it's dialed in.

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Tue May 27, 2014 12:24 am

Flipper, thanks. I also use a method similar to yours when drift launching kites that flag to a front line.
flipper231 wrote:IDS does nothing for drift launch...
IDS is the reason why Ronnie doesn't need to worry about leashing his kite (you said on the pump loop on the TE, but I guess you really mean LE?), and can stop and reverse the process at any time up until the complete release of the front lines. With non-IDS kites, once there's tension on the lines, you cannot reverse the process anymore.

But I agree, drift launching non-IDS kites is pretty much doable too.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:58 am

Yup Ronnie was writing as the same time as me so I did not read his last post. If you have a large space to unwind your lines prior to going in the water, you can always drift the kite by holding a front line and letting it go slowly. I prefer to send it and control it with the rear lines once I get tension. This can also be reversed by pulling the upwind rear line or the upwind front line but this one is impossible to identify clearly.

The method is not that important, as long as you practice in light winds and move towards stronger conditions. 25 knots is my max. In more than that I find someone... I have done it in 30 but then the chop is really strong and hard to deal with.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue May 27, 2014 8:05 am

For me, the main difference is the amount of loose line in the water.

With the IDS the only loose line when packing down is the doubled over centreline, which is 1.5m when doubled. Similar for drift launching.

Where I drift launch there are some small barnacle covered rocks on the bottom, and broken shells in the sand, so I want to avoid lines snagging on them.

bpchilds
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha/DaKine

Postby bpchilds » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Updated Cab bar... no recoil.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:50 pm

bpchilds wrote:Updated Cab bar... no recoil.
Nice find!

Return to “Kitesurfing”