Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Postby plummet » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:31 pm

Note i'd also need to get the safety line through the swivel too.

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby FabsPH » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:32 am

So, I know from experience , in an emergency or other , I had to grab an hold on to the chicken loop to either safe myself or safe/catch my kite. How are you going to hold on to a ball? Remember the SS depower? Nobody could grab it .

Just saying . Me no like

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:30 am

plummet wrote:Note i'd also need to get the safety line through the swivel too.
The Nobile inox swivel can do that job - if you can get one, because they are no longer produced. It has a 4mm hole.
2014-04-05 15.05.56.jpg
2014-04-05 15.05.56.jpg
Last edited by ronnie on Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:11 am

Be careful that is not a wichard. It is an unbranded knockoff & I would not in a million years use it where you are counting on it functioning properly.

cemdev
Rare Poster
Gear: a kite :p

Postby cemdev » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:59 am

Without reading all of this - I see no advantage in moving from a standard CL UNLESS you can redesign the harness so the load is distributed more evenly and less likely to pull up - more comfortable harnesses due to better load spread. I don't really see how that's possible - but that's probably the only benefit that would have me move from a standard CL to something different.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:39 am

cemdev wrote:Without reading all of this - I see no advantage in moving from a standard CL UNLESS you can redesign the harness so the load is distributed more evenly and less likely to pull up - more comfortable harnesses due to better load spread. I don't really see how that's possible - but that's probably the only benefit that would have me move from a standard CL to something different.

Well, that's because you're a fncking idiot for posting on a thread you didn't even bother to read. Go back, read the thread, resolve your craniorectal inversion, and maybe have something intelligent to say. :roll:

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:10 am

Bushflyr wrote:
cemdev wrote:Without reading all of this - I see no advantage in moving from a standard CL UNLESS you can redesign the harness so the load is distributed more evenly and less likely to pull up - more comfortable harnesses due to better load spread. I don't really see how that's possible - but that's probably the only benefit that would have me move from a standard CL to something different.

Well, that's because you're a fncking idiot for posting on a thread you didn't even bother to read. Go back, read the thread, resolve your craniorectal inversion, and maybe have something intelligent to say. :roll:

:thumb:

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:20 pm

tomatkins wrote:INCORRECT%20size%20ring.jpgBushflyr,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the 2 different types of Cabrinha “pelican levers”. The original pelican lever that Cabrinha used when they first made the “mushroom” release is an example of refined engineering, but it does have a potential problem for those of us “tinkerers”, who want to substitute a ring or some other shaped piece of hardware, for the receptive piece that the pelican lever latches onto. Cabrinha designed the “receptive piece” so that it would safely and precisely mate with the pelican lever, using the 2 little stub “arms” to orient and secure the lever in a position, where it would always cleanly release from the “receptive piece”. I discuss this potential safety “hang-up”, on page 13 and 14 of this thread. Here is a picture from that discussion.

The newer pelican lever on the short leashes looks like a cheaper substitute for the original lever, but since it lacks the little stub “arms”, maybe it is actually a safer development in design.
How easy is the "mushroom" to open up and change out to a new main sheeting line? Is there a need for splicing?

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:42 pm

Super easy. 3/16" Amsteel Blue will just fit through the hole. You do need to splice, but that's SUPER easy. I use a 6" piece of coat hanger wire for a fid and just tape the end of the line to it. It takes literally less than a minute to do the splice. I ran the tail all the way up to my stopper ball and tapered it down to 3 strands so there's no hard edge, and the area where the bar slides is double thickness the whole way.

Just flip the mushroom backwards, do the splice making sure to tighten the loop as much as possible so the bungie stays snug, then feed the line up through the mushroom afterwards.

When you do the splice the standing end goes all the way through the buried end first and pulled tight. Then you move up ~1 diameter and run the buried end all the way through the standing end. Move up ~1 more diameter and bury the rest of the working end.

Also, since I use a screw down type stopper ball I slipped a 1" long piece of 1/4" PEX over the Amsteel line. It covers the tapered end and keeps the screw from abrading the line while providing a crush surface to really lock in the tail. Overkill, since the splice definitely isn't going to slip, but I had it lying around.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:28 pm

Thanks, what type of splice is that called?

Return to “Kitesurfing”