Rare Poster
Gear: Kitefactory Tool's
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Strapless kitesurfing cruising 100kg

Postby cruzekiter » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:31 am

Hi to all,

I am a 100kg/215lbs windsurfer who comes back to kitesurfing after 5-6 year break. I was really appealed to kitesurfing again when I seen those strapless youtube videos.
I like the idea of comfortly cruising on a surfboard in 10-20kts of wind. Above 20-25kts I still like to go on a windsurfer. I really like the idea to kitesurf on a surfboard.
I've seen guys on youtube on mini mal's, shortboards,fish boards and I'm not sure what to choose. Specialy the size. I do not have opportunity to test and try so I will have tochoose and live with it...Everyone here is on twin tips.

The surfboards that are availible in the shops near me(not so near,but ok) are NSP and BiC. I don't need some hi-tec board. Only need to comfortably ride,go easy upwind do a gybe ot two. NSP and Bic come cheap...

I've done some research and want to hear your opinion about few board that I can get cheap.

I looked at the Bic surf Fish 5'10, NSP fish 6'0, NSP Shorthboard 6'6 or maybe should I go bigger like Bic mini mal 7'3 or BIC EGG.

Bic EGG looks cool for 100kgs :),what about that one. or should I look for smaler boards like fish. Fish is flatter than shortboard so it wil plane earlier, but shortboard will be more comfortable when there is a little chop as far as I understand surfboards philosofy.

what do you think keeping in mind that I am a light 100kg 192cm/6'2 guy?

I hate my size/weight. I think that everything in surf/kite/windsurf industry is based around 75kg/180cm...

Also I have open C kites 9m&13m

Thanks for help

boardjockey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: MAUI
Style: all
Gear: Cabrinha, Naish, North, Ozone

Re: Strapless kitesurfing cruising 100kg

Postby boardjockey » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:48 pm

out of those i would go with the 5'10 Fish

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:38 pm

I agree. The bigger you go the more drag you get and excess board. Width is your friend. Dont get anything less than 19" wide. I highly suggest a 5'4"-5'8" firewire sweet potato in FST construction. I only paid $275 for mine. The width will allow you to jibe with ease and its the most durable construction available. After that you can expand to a vanguard or naish skater ! Dont make the mistakes i did by buying cheap pu boards that break easily and dont perform well for kiting. Rocker is also your enemy. Especially tail rocker. You want a flat wide tailed board in light wind ! As the wind picks up and youve already learned your jibe you can use a vanguard or naish skater type board

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Have a look at the 5'10" Secret Weapon from Cabrinha. It's made for bigger guys and rocks in small surf, flat water, and freestyle.

cruzekiter
Rare Poster

Postby cruzekiter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:52 am

Thanks for help. I can get Firewire Swpotato for 685 Euro. Unfortunatly it is out of my price range for a surfboars :( . Cabrinha too.

So the Bic will probably be the one i will get. Will it get me going in 12-20kts with my 13m and 100kgs?

What about NSP Fish 6'? On paper looks close to Bic only a kilo lighter

cruzekiter
Rare Poster

Postby cruzekiter » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:11 pm

The bic or circle one fish and pig shapes are the right idea. You have to be honest with yourself about durability. Either would be fun to learn the ropes with and will definitely tap into your windsurfing roots as far as riding feel goes, but denting, delaminating and buckling, crappy fins and fin boxes are probably the eventual problem. Once you get comfortable in light air and cruising, its natural to push it a bit and the forces involved with riding chop or little airs are more than either board is designed for. If they only accept flexy plastic fins, that is another key piece. Good stiff fins and the boxes to hold em are a pretty big contributor to keeping the feel light, quick and snappy.

You have an idea of what shape your looking for, so I would seriously consider searching the surf shops within reach for a more standard build used board. Find something cheap and add a couple layers of glass and maybe a traction pad to the deck so it holds up for a while.

There is a local here with an NSI that seems to be holding up, but hes a pretty small guy (150 ish) and isn't jumping it yet.

Return to “Kitesurfing”