Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Heavier Pro Riders?

Postby dracop » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me put together a list of heavier pro kiteboarders who are 200+ lbs. I am looking through video footage of riders doing tricks I am trying to learn but have grown exhausted of watching lightweights as the techniques are not always the same. I frequently find myself having to adapt techniques to account for slower/larger kiters due to higher weight and was looking for video footage of pros in my weight class (225 lbs) to see how they do some of these tricks.

As an example, I was attempting to follow the Progression series lesson on aerial kiteloops. For the life of me I cannot get anything past a simple heliloop if I wait until I begin my descent from my jump, the way the video says. Kite is just not fast enough. But if I start right before the apex of my jump I can get almost any kiteloop off before I land, on kites from 11m-17m, including going wider on the loop. I know the instructor on Progression is in my weight class but that lesson would work better with a light rider/small kite (my friends can pull off a wider loop after descent begins, but I am using 11s and 12s vs their 8s/9s).

So far, only rider I have come across is Ian McKeown, a LF Team rider, at 220 lbs. Anyone else you guys can think of? In particular, any heavyweight throwing a real megaloop (horizontal/slack lines) would be impressive.

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heavier Pro Riders?

Postby jens » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:51 pm

i cant help you with the heavier pro rider search but I do weigh in at 210 and well above that when suited up. I am confused about what your trying to do with your kiteloop. I have not watched the progression lesson.

If you are trying to do a mega loop you are not going to achieve it on anything bigger than a 9\10 and have it on shorter lines (17m) .

Getting a controlled but explosive release from the water is necessary, that includes being on the higher end of the kites comfortable power range. I personally get the most yank when I throw the loop as the kite is reaching the apex (12). IMO initiating a fast loop at that point generates the most pull due to how deep in the window the kite stays throughout most of the loop.

good luck on your loop, depending on how often you get to ride the conditions required for mega loops you should feel overpowered when you huck it.

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com
Been thanked: 0

Postby IanNJ » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:33 pm

Isnt jason sleazack (spelling is wrong) a bigger guy?

But sorry guys i think your class is small. My big rump is ciming in at 190 so i definitally understand where you are coming from. I think age is a big factor also.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:37 pm

The problem isn't your weight, it's the size of the kite. You can kiteloop an 11 if it's something that makes tight pivotal turns (I used to do loops on my 12m envy) but be prepared to get dropped when the kite stalls out halfway through the turn, or if you send the kite too high and get too much air. Really need a 9m, but you might need to move out of FL if you want to ride a kite that size.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:55 am

I'm confused about what you're asking.... About looping? or about how hard the kite pulls in a loop? The type of kite greatly determines the yank factor. What do you fly?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:57 am

Linus Erdmann from Germany is a pretty heavy guy, but not as heavy as you mentioned.

Jerrie von de Koop is a pretty tall guy, that is also different from the smaller guys.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:05 am

dyyylan wrote:The problem isn't your weight, it's the size of the kite. You can kiteloop an 11 if it's something that makes tight pivotal turns (I used to do loops on my 12m envy) but be prepared to get dropped when the kite stalls out halfway through the turn, or if you send the kite too high and get too much air. Really need a 9m, but you might need to move out of FL if you want to ride a kite that size.
I can loop all of my kites in nice aerial kiteloops - 11m 2014 SS RPM, 12m 2014 LF NRG, 16m 2013 LF NRG (toughest one to loop), and the v3 17m Blade Fat Lady (very easy to loop).

All kites on 23m lines, tuned to the shortest knot on wingtip with attachment at wingtip with steering lines on lowest knot on the bar. I trim it to make sure I dont overdo it and it doesnt backstall. Backstall can still hit me in lulls although technique and the trim setting solve it 100% of the time (unless it lulls below 12 mph). You do have to be more aggressive with the timing of when to start the loop. I am not referring to megaloops, but forward yank kiteloops. The 11m RPM and the 12m NRG yank hard laterally. I am currently moving past the decorative aspect of kitelooping and incorporating the forward pull into my tricks - eg, having a kiteloop pull me through a rotation or having it power me through an aerial transition.

The reason I posted that example is that that technique works well for lighter riders using smaller kites but does not work well for a heavier rider reliant on larger kites.

I routinely have to modify techniques I watch online to make them work for me and the number one issue is always timing - I find my kites less reactive than 8m kites and have to adjust for slower response times, both with learning dedicated videos like Progression and when watching other riders tricks. It would be nice to watch something cool and work on replicating it without having to analyze, slice, and dice every component to figure out how to adjust it for myself. So I asked the forum for a list of heavier riders cause I have no idea who/if there are heavy riders that are pro, cranking out vids that would be useful for me to watch.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:07 am

Do-it wrote:I'm confused about what you're asking.... About looping? or about how hard the kite pulls in a loop? The type of kite greatly determines the yank factor. What do you fly?
This area is just one example as I am currently working on it. The actual topic of the post is asking for a list of heavier riders. I used the kitelooping issue as an example since I wish to know how far it can be taken on larger kites.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:15 am

The only actually progressive rider I can think of that's bigger is Eric Rienstra. He puts a 5th line on his fuels and doesn't leash suicide because of how hard he falls. So every fall unhooked = kite flags out.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TheJoe » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:44 am

dyyylan wrote:The only actually progressive rider I can think of that's bigger is Eric Rienstra. He puts a 5th line on his fuels and doesn't leash suicide because of how hard he falls. So every fall unhooked = kite flags out.
I would agree but I doubt he weighs more than 190. He is definitely a taller pro than most.

Return to “Kitesurfing”