Favorite Beaches: Los Roques, VZ
Style: free ride
Gear: Core XR-4s, North Evo, Axis Vanguard, AlpineFoil Access 5.0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North airport valve- malfunction & repair

Postby havasubob » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:41 pm

Hey all, I bought a newish 2014 NKB Evo in January this year and I wanted to report my problems with this Airport valve. It became a bit erratic holding air after the valve was rotated back to lock position, then ultimately failed entirely. There's not much published about this except for this invaluable post: http://goo.gl/gDk5lm. Looks like the glue failed on the internal flap valve and it became displaced in the LE bladder. I'll update this post after the "surgery"... Want another reason I'm not a fan of this valve, the nibs on the blue lock ring are nicking the rubber cap washer. Are you listening NKB???? :angryfire:

beachbum32
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish Pivot
Ozone Edge

Re: North airport valve- malfunction & repair

Postby beachbum32 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:04 am

I've had to replace 2 valves on my 2014 Evo's (9&11). After pumping both kites, twisting the blue ring, and air would still leak from it. I had the kiteshop downtown take them off to see if there was anything blocking the airlock and there wasn't any sand or obstructions.

Im now using the Ozone valves. I love the Evo's and dice, just not a fan of their Airport valve.

pecmajor
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Marie Curtis
Favorite Beaches: Coconut Bay St Lucia
Outer Banks NC USA
Long Beach Ontario
Oliphant Ontario
Style: Kite as much as I can
Gear: On sale

Postby pecmajor » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:05 am

I had the airport valve fail on my 2014 Rebel. Bought brand new. The stupid blue ring failed. Took it to the shop. They phoned north and were told the entire valve needed to be replaced. They felt it was my fault for turning the stupid ring too hard. They ordered the valve 2 months ago and it has not arrived. I have missed many sessions. I called fix my kite. They have one in stock and I ordered it. Should be here in 5 days and I will try and fix it my self. I was told this was the last valve in stock and they have replaced many of these valves. I assume North has trouble keeping the valves supplied and in stock due to many other like me having valves fail.
I knew from day one the design of the valve sucked and was sure it would fail. I guess I was right. Now north has the newer design airport 2 valves on the newer kites. Hopefully this will solve the problem.
It has been a very bad experience. I love the Rebel but hate the valve. I would not buy another north kite again due to the valve problem. I have owned new Ozones and Cabrinhas and have never had such a problem. I feel North Kites should admit to the problem with the airport valves and offer to replace them for free. Of course this is very unlikely to happen. Is anyone from North listening?

davedej
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zandvoort, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Table view Capetown
Canos de meca Spain
Style: freestyle
Gear: North Dice 2016 5/7/9/11 m
Ride clash 140 2.1
Brand Affiliation: We Test Kites

Postby davedej » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:22 am

known issue, which usually is solved with warranty. North does seem to have solved it in '16 onward. Basically it is a bit strange they choose for a moving/turning part in their valve while other brands show more simple systems work at least just as good (or better).
Could it be an pattent issue to use those instead?
Dave
We Test Kites

pecmajor
Medium Poster
Outer Banks NC USA
Long Beach Ontario
Oliphant Ontario

Postby pecmajor » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:16 pm

Hi davedej, so do you think my defective valve be covered under warranty? The dealer I took to for repair told me I would have to pay for the new valve replacement . My Rebel is a 2014 and the valve failed in 2016.
Thanks.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:32 pm

pecmajor wrote:Hi davedej, so do you think my defective valve be covered under warranty? The dealer I took to for repair told me I would have to pay for the new valve replacement . My Rebel is a 2014 and the valve failed in 2016.
Thanks.
Nope your warranty time frame is up dude.

Wonder how many people who have the problems with this go and open their dump valve before the main valve. There is a reason the tag says "open airport valve" before dump valve.

pecmajor
Medium Poster
Outer Banks NC USA
Long Beach Ontario
Oliphant Ontario

Postby pecmajor » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:45 pm

Okay. I take all the bad comments concerning North Kites service back and aplogize . I just spoke to the owner of our local North shop, Board Sports Toronto, and he told me the valve should be in in about a week due to some issues with shipments from the North America distributor. The good news for me is that the valve will be repaired under warranty even though the kite is 2 years old. I will try and be more gentle with the replacement valve and not " overturn " it. And I will have my spare coming from fix my kite in case the valve fails again.
I still don't like the design of the valve but I am in the minority.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:36 am

Yeh I think there were some random issues with the 2014 valve in that it was random bad luck if you got a dud one. We had ummm probably 12 north kites between 4 of us and yeh two valves were average. Haven't had one problem with the 2015/2016 kites. I to like the ozone inflate system but that wouldn't make me ditch the north wings I fly, that's an absurd reason to change kites. Just get it fixed. Not a big deal.

CharlyMTL
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Montreal
Gear: North Evo, Naish Monarch, Wooden alaia

Postby CharlyMTL » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:12 am

Just so you know, I just got the same issue with a 2015 North Dice. The little flap unglued itself and fell in the bladder. The blue cap is not air tight and the kite slowly deflates in 15 min.
Kite was bought second hand so I don't know yet what I'm going to do...

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:31 am

Buy a replacement valve, put it on...good start i'd say.

Return to “Kitesurfing”