Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How can you afford to start kiteboarding?

Forum for kitesurfers
KingKoopa
Rare Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How can you afford to start kiteboarding?

Postby KingKoopa » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:22 pm

I've always wanted to do kitesurfing but lessons are way too expensive. Minimum 250 dollars for 2 hours. That's just basic lesson. Then if you want to know more that's another 250 dollars. I want to know how is it even possible to start this sport? There's no way I can speed that much money on such a small lesson. I would be willing to pay that ammount of money for a 4 day lesson but just 2 hours is asking for too much.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: How can you afford to start kiteboarding?

Postby plummet » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:54 pm

4 days for $250? is that a reasonable expectation? How would a kitesurf instructor live if he only charged $250 for 4 days work?

Personally I think $250 for 2 hours is steep. So look around for a deal.

Also if you want to save $$ on lessons. Go out and buy a small 1.5m trainer kite maybe ebay yourself up a shitter and spend a few weeks or month or so learning to fly the kite. When you can fly it without crashing it with your eyes closes... your ready for the next step

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:07 pm

KingKoopa wrote:I've always wanted to do kitesurfing but lessons are way too expensive. Minimum 250 dollars for 2 hours. That's just basic lesson. Then if you want to know more that's another 250 dollars. I want to know how is it even possible to start this sport? There's no way I can speed that much money on such a small lesson. I would be willing to pay that ammount of money for a 4 day lesson but just 2 hours is asking for too much.
kiteboarding is expensive no way around it.

skateboarding is a lot cheaper. snowboarding if you find a place with a cheap one day pass. wakeboarding if you only want to try it out and find someone who has a boat. climbing you can get into pretty cheap if you only climb indoors.

so yeah, you probably want to get around $2,000 to get started.

there's more expensive sports for sure. anything involving owning a boat can bankrupt you pretty quick. car racing that gets very pricy.

Running is dirt cheap just buy some shoes.

kiteboarding might not be the sport for you if you can't come up with the startup cost.

and i'm not sure if you know this but the costs keep on coming. once you have your lessons, and all your gear dont expect a kite to last more than 2 years if you ride it every week. Then there's the costs for kiteboarding trips, gasoline money driving to and from the launch fees for all the parks, parking fees, a new wetsuit every two years.

The steepest cost tho is the startup cost. it's a pretty big barrier and why the sport isn't more popular.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:40 pm

Work for a kite company....or offer them a trade in service. You never know. Or talk to a shop and ask how you can maybe work it off, or trade hours....or help them with demos...all sorts of opportunities...and it's fun.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:50 pm

Inheritance is the fastest way

terier
Rare Poster
Gear: Lithium 9&12

Postby terier » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:04 am

You compromise, like with everything in life.

Paid around 400€ for my first lessons in Canaries, withouth even getting in water ( wrong-dangerous wind direction). Had two year break (bunch of other hobbies too), then spend another 400€ for lessons in Corfu.
Yeah, not cheap, but would you put your self in a car withouth basic knowledge? Possibly kiling few bystanders/yourself and wrecking car? Just as easy cutting a throat of too curious watcher with lines or lifting and diving head first on some rocks. Those 250$ will be the best spend money in your kiting career.

Ps. Inheritance +1

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:35 am

School loan money/ credit card. It was the best decision i ever made.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:40 am

the ones meant to kiteboard..........find a way!

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:44 am

Save your money man. All you need is 1 basic lesson for safety, maybe 2 if you want to learn how to stand.

And on craigslist you can buy a used set up now for under 1000, almost a fraction of what you would pay brand new. Buy yourself a set up and use it and abuse it and learn from it. Then you can buy a new set up with the knowlege you have of kiteboarding :thumb:

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:57 am

Im an iko instructor in san diego. The price youre talking about sounds out of control. My classes are performance based for the first 2 lessons. Theyre $150 each and last between 2-3hrs depending on the student. I recomend at least taking the first 2 lessons equallying $300. The first lesson takes you from trainer kite to being ready to enter the water with a real kite. The second one takes you up to boards starts. After that its $75 per hour because of everyones different learning speeds. After the second lesson most people branch off on their own. You can find a good used kite like a 12m naish ride for as low as $350 and a good used bar for $150. Decent board for $300 but dont ever buy anything without consulting your instructor or here on kiteforum. Despite us all talking smack on here, we're are pretty tightly knit group. Most of us help each other and go out of our way to help begginers. Its not competetive like surfing. Eventually youll need at least 2-3 kites and 2 boards but getting the primary gear suited for your area should come first. Youll never stop kiting once you start and it will change you forever. I only took the first lesson then learned the rest on my own with help from others. I again do recomend at least the first 2 lessons though

Return to “Kitesurfing”