2 Broken Kite Lines - 1 session?

Forum for kitesurfers
njrider
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2 Broken Kite Lines - 1 session?

Postby njrider » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Rotten...I know this test would never hold up to scientific scrutiny. The Naish lines just broke when I'm certain that they shouldn't have (based on 10 years of riding) and convinced me that it was worth taking a stab at building a testing rig. I also should add that it's not just the breaking of the lines, I got beat up a bit and almost lost my kite. I will never take chances with inferior gear again.

So here is the results from my rig

Naish Universal Bar Lines - New- maxed out at around 130lbs and had some break as low as 70 lbs
Liquid Force CPR - 3 years old - maxed out at around 190, lowest breatk at 130lbs

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:05 am

njrider wrote:Rotten...I know this test would never hold up to scientific scrutiny. The Naish lines just broke when I'm certain that they shouldn't have (based on 10 years of riding) and convinced me that it was worth taking a stab at building a testing rig. I also should add that it's not just the breaking of the lines, I got beat up a bit and almost lost my kite. I will never take chances with inferior gear again.

So here is the results from my rig

Naish Universal Bar Lines - New- maxed out at around 130lbs and had some break as low as 70 lbs
Liquid Force CPR - 3 years old - maxed out at around 190, lowest breatk at 130lbs
Your description of it being inferior gear while recognizing that your tests aren't exactly scientific is causing some friction in my mind especially since I have used the same gear for long times and never had any problems with line breaks.

If you follow cglazier's advice you might get closer, but your sample size seems somewhat small to come up with a result that is a bit more scientific.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:21 am

I'm with you man lines breaking sucks worst type of failure especially if it's the front line where the safety is connected one of the reasons I still fly 5 line kites

I've gotten pretty anal about lines I likely replace things way too early but don't wanna find out the hard way

Which is one of the reasons why I want a test rig. If in doubt I replace but afterwards I'd like a reliable test to see if I made the right call.

I use q power it's no stronger but resists wear significantly better as the load bearing line is shielded by an outer sheath with 5 lines I don't have to worry about fitting through single line safety mechanisms

I'm really surprised by the low breaking load though. After I make a line set I tie each line off individually to something secure and haul ass on it with everything I've got to stretch it and weed out any weaknesses definitely hitting it with at least 180 lbs of gym refined meat head pulling and jerking.....never had one fail

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:40 am

Taut your open naish affiliation and criticism of his testing is creating alot of friction in my mind

Nj did you test just the broken line or the others. It is possible you got some dyneema made from a shit batch.

It's highly improbable that different colours emerged from the same shit batch. So the other lines should be better As that's just not how they're made or distributed.

Try testing the other naish lines on the bar if you don't mind breaking more shit.....as stated you don't trust them anymore anyways

That stated they could have been overloaded in prestretching so maybe not a terribly useful test

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:00 am

Johnny Rotten wrote: Try testing the other naish lines on the bar if you don't mind breaking more shit.....as stated you don't trust them anymore anyways

That stated they could have been overloaded in prestretching so maybe not a terribly useful test
Might be a good idea. Also testing against other brands that use same type of lines since none of the brands make their own lines.

Or even with the new lines he's getting. Like you said maybe there are multiple ones that went bad. I think something weird happened in the treatment of these specific lines then I guess that could happen.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:55 am

i dont get the criticisms. this sort of test is in the best style of Mythbusters. science is not about sitting on your butt and making criticisms science is about getting your hands dirty and if the experiment isn't perfect that's fine too you always learn something. im shipping lines with spliced loops so he can take off the clamps let's see what happens, some 600's 800's and q-power.
Last edited by edt on Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:49 pm

I did test multiple lines from the 2 manufacturers and the results were all in the same ranges. I would like to sleeve a few test lines to remove the connection from the equation. I have been shopping around for options - any suggestions?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:10 pm

There could be issues with your lines, but that's not an accurate test of line strength!

Your trying to measure load, but your variable is length and dynema has virtually no stretch. Load will eventually go up really sharply in the space of very tiny movement at the ratchet and your using the wrong tool to catch the value as it shoots up to a peak and then immediately drops to zero. I'm not sure your getting any more accuracy than trying to get your weight by bouncing on a bathroom scale.

Just use the scale the way it was designed. Reset your rig vertically and ratchet a starting weight of 200 lbs a few inches off the ground. After it comes to rest add weight incrementally until failure.

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:03 pm

More issues with the 2014 Naish Universal Kiteboarding bar. I think this was the worst $250 I ever spent. Has anyone else had these sort of problems with this bar?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:58 pm

How do you attach the back lines?

I've used bares with the same lines for multiple season with no line failures.

There is no reason at all that kind of damage on your back lines as there is barely any pressure on the back lines.

Did you try to "pre-stretch" your lines before taking the bar out for the first time? Maybe attach them to a nail?

Return to “Kitesurfing”