Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2 Broken Kite Lines - 1 session?

Forum for kitesurfers
Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2 Broken Kite Lines - 1 session?

Postby Ludmil » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:43 pm

Thiese are my lines after 1y of use. I have only one bar for my 3 kites quiver so it's been in use all the time.
As I recall Naish's front lines are black since 2012 and were gray before that time. Strange...
L.
Attachments
IMG_20151025_233137.jpg

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:56 pm

Like this...
Attachments
IMG_20151025_235417.jpg

njrider
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby njrider » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:59 pm

On the back lines I just larks head onto a knot on the bridle on the kite. Pretty straight forward. I did not pre-stretch these lines, but I'm not sure that would have prevented the excessive wear on the sleeve.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:15 pm

Front lines are supposed to be connected w/ the bridle, or I'm wrong?

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:38 am

Lud, you are right. I meant connected to wing tip lines. Interested in your comment about line colors - do my line colors look like those that are supposed to come with the Naish Universal bar? Maybe somehow my lines were changed by the reseller? That could explain a lot.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:08 am

Did you buy the bar and lines brand new? It had the orange labels and little warning thingies stuck to the bar?
In the video the red back-lines looks like there is significant wear as the color is uneven on the lines themselves. I only have the one bars I've used for way over a year and I have still never seen anything like your backline. Could that have been there when you got the bar?

You bought these in a store? And brand new? I do not think they sent you a brand new bar.

If you look closely on the lines, do they seem frazzled? Naish lines are very tight when new. Like you seen in Lud's lines after a year of use, they still look pretty much new.
The same thing goes for the lines that are attached to the CL. It has significant frazzle on it, and does not at all look like a bar after just a few sessions.

Maybe you got an old bar lines by a mistake?

Edit: tad bigger resolution: http://i.imgur.com/g9aJEbh.jpg
Attachments
backlinecolor.png

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:00 pm

Capture.JPG

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Lets back up a second. From the pic with your legs wrapped in lines its clear you went through a kite mare. As it looks on the table in component parts, all lines appear to have noticeable wear. Lets assume that could come from a serious kite mare. Gear can get shredded in a single incident. It happens. Understandably emotions run high and you are into making youtube videos, so you made one. From that point on, assumptions of quality are based on faulty methods. Your testing isn't accurate. Your previously trusted liquid force lines don't achieve an acceptable breaking strength either. To point out any other point of wear is speculative when there is plenty of wear that appears to have happened during your incident.

Why not get a bit more objective, go back and test the lines properly? See if they really are problematic. If they measure significantly lower than other lines on a proper rig, you have plenty to complain about. Might give some clarity, remove some emotional bias and lend credibility to additional claims.

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:13 pm

I have no dog in this fight....My lines are being replaced and I'm selling this bar ASAP. That's all. Feel free to take any of my testing for face value BUT I believe that they reveal a very series issue within the kiting industry....who knows it may lead to better equipment for all of us.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:43 pm

njrider wrote:I have no dog in this fight....
How does that even make sense when its your thread, your video, and your follow up video, both up on youtube!

Aren't you the only dog in the fight? Well maybe Taut, but he can't help it, it's Naish!

I was actually hoping you would want to set your rig up so the scale could work as designed and see just how close your initial tests are to the true values. Wouldn't be very hard, you have all the stuff and it looks kinda like you enjoy making youtube videos. Aren't you interested to see how accurate your testing is?

I realize my tone is usually flip, but I have edited as much of that out as possible to keep it to the basics of test accuracy. It's a noble goal to provide feedback that could lead to safer gear from manufacturers, but the quality of your data seems pretty important. I'm sure as hell interested to see if your method was accurate! You don't have to see this as a fight, it can simply be an experiment. Your a reviewer.... why reject the opportunity to simply and accurately verify your findings?
Last edited by Starsky on Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”