Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Retiring in or near Hatteras, NC- Outer Beach

Postby William Munney » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:52 am

Looking to retire in about 5 years- spend maybe 3-400K (or less) on a house accessible to OBX- bay side fine- any suggestions, places to explore? Currently on Long Island, NY. Thanks.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Re: Retiring in or near Hatteras, NC- Outer Beach

Postby rtz » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:01 am

This site has a good map to browse the houses for sale: http://www.zillow.com/

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:21 am

Try to avoid living anywhere near a guy called Dimitri M.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:43 pm

au contraire, he's in a great spot.

ErikFromEstonia
Rare Poster
Style: Freestyle, big air
Gear: 2015 12m2 liquid force solo
2015 8m2 liquid force nrg
2014 liquid force focus 134cm
Custom fiberglass skimboard

Postby ErikFromEstonia » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:09 am

But Dimitri is just the right kiter neighbour.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster

Postby William Munney » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:18 am

I would love to meet Dimitri. From the looks of his house in the video,I probably won't be in the same neighborhood.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:52 pm

You could be across the street though or a block in. If I were you I'd go for a house on one of the canals in that area -with a small skiff you could have the run of the sound up there and access spots for more wind directions.
Or live on hatteras if you don't mind the road going out fairly often, and are immune to island fever. I love hatteras but admit for year round living nags head has some advantages. But too much commercial crap as well. 8)
But when there are nice waves and the sun is out, these are just details!

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:18 pm

All the villages on the Outer Banks have a distinctive character. North of Oregon Inlet, you'll find lots of commercial congestion, as noted in earlier post. Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk are heavily congested and, while you'll find nice homes (like Dimitri's) on the sound or oceanside off the main road, you'll inevitably have to deal with traffic congestion to go any where. IMO, Collington Harbor is a nice quiet area off the beaten path in the KDH area - worth a look.

Further north, Duck, Corolla and Southern Shores are also very congested and heavily geared to the tourist trade, but at a more exclusive higher end (more expensive) level than Nags Head.

Personally, if I were to live north of Oregon Inlet, I'd look at Manteo and Mann's Harbor. They have less tourist congestion (although Manteo can get a ton of traffic at times) and tend to attract more permanent residents than other villages on the beach side.

Hatteras Island (i.e., south of Oregon Inlet) is mostly National Seashore. I prefer it. The best kiting is there. Most of the major kiteboarding activity (shops, etc.) is there. Tri-Villages (Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo) is nice, but doesn't have as many restaurants and activities as Avon. Avon is the largest village with lots of activity (including lots of rental houses). Buxton, Frisco and Hatteras Village cater more to permanent residents than does Avon.

If you are looking at Hatteras Island, study flood maps and elevation charts and pay attention to the width of the island at various locations (Buxton is at the widest point on the island). Flooding and wind damage are very real risks everywhere on the Outer Banks, but especially on Hatteras Island. For the next several years, there will be construction en route to Hatteras Island (Bonner Bridge will be replaced, Hwy 12 will be re-routed and improved). In the end, it will be better, but for the next few years, we will have to deal with ongoing construction. As noted in earlier post, you should count on losing access to/from Hatteras Island during major weather events....just part of life on a sandbar.

Best way to get to know the area is visit and rent in various locations. There really is a lot of difference from one village to the next. In the end, it's all about your lifestyle preferences. Hope this helps in some way.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster

Postby William Munney » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:28 pm

FlandOBX, Thank you for the very well thought out response. I plan to use some vacation time to check out the different neighborhoods over the next few years.

kooshball
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Emerald Isle
Gear: TBD

Postby kooshball » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:37 pm

I would consider building something sound side on Hatteras Island. Plenty of lots available so you can be selective with regard to your flood planning and most importantly you can design and engineer the structure to be outside of harms way when it comes to flood insurance (if you plan to hold a mortgage). You basically are going to pay the same amount of money whether you buy something that's 25 years old and needs a ton of maintenance vs new constitution. In addition to the flood insurance rates being lower your wind and hail and your liability will be much lower for a structure that is less than 20 years old.

Return to “Kitesurfing”