Style: Free ride
Gear: Slingshot rally 9,12 turbo 17
Placebo 140x43
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anyone use waterskis?

Postby Onthewater860 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:11 pm

I'm interested in anyone using waterskis. I'm a professional ski patroller and spend over 80 days of a year on skis. Switching to riding a board is good but I know I'd be more comfortable on skis. I see hard boot waterski set up and wonder if they would give you the control needed.
Idea 2 is use some old bindings on waterskis and a set of boots.

Thoughts, ideas, stories....

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Anyone use waterskis?

Postby edt » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:19 pm

during the very beginning of the sport water skiis were used this is around 1994. What happened is everyone went straight downwind. Then I guess in the usa cory roeseler in the usa and of course the legaignoux brothers in france, anyway one or both of them and others decided what if we mount the board wakestyle and put our feet with the heels on the heelside edge instead of facing front like water skiis. That is the birth of the sport and the first time that kiteboarders were able to go upwind instead of doing downwind runs and walking back up the beach. this is why nobody uses water skiis. yes it's possible go ahead and do it but nobody else bothers because it is so much more difficult to go upwind. I think straps is fine whatever you want to use the problem is the body position.

go out there and try it, shoot some viddies too thanks, it will be cool to see someone going all retro with skiis.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Don't do it, TT is easy to learn and makes much more sense than skis. Changing direction, body dragging, chop, getting into straps and more will all be easier on a TT. Not to mention you will look like a total KOOK.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:44 pm

matth wrote:Don't do it, TT is easy to learn and makes much more sense than skis. Changing direction, body dragging, chop, getting into straps and more will all be easier on a TT. Not to mention you will look like a total KOOK.
Dood you just buzzkilled my next dog beach session! I was totally gonna shred on O'Neil water skis.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:46 pm

It's a great idea, but think about how much surface area the skis will cover vs a twin tip board. You would really need to be lit to make it plane out. Think about how you would need to twist the upper half of your body so that you can control the kite, unless you do it with 1 arm. And when you transition and go the other way, you are going to have to ski backwards unless you get some kind of special harness. Lets face it man, being on a board outnumbers skis in so many ways, especially the style. If this sport required skis, I probably would have never got into it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:57 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:you are going to have to ski backwards unless you get some kind of special harness.
you dont ski backwards lol. plenty of people snow kite with skis in fact I would say about 50% around here use skiis. Unlike water kiting snow kiting it's very easy to go upwind, anyway you just do a tack or jibe and point the other way you don't go backwards.

Any normal sized water ski will work, you don't need special water skiis don't need special straps, and it's certainly possible and in fact should be fun. Go for it!

But like I said before expect going upwind to be more difficult due to your body position.

oh yeah one more thing. when you buy your skis my suggestion is get whatever kind you would most enjoy behind a ski boat or at the wake park, because I have a feeling that is where your skis are going to end up having the most use. It's great being able to break out the water skis on a no wind day, little change of pace from the wake board.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:43 pm

I've thought about using a slalom for downwinders, but haven't tried it yet. I agree that going upwind would be a problem on water skis, but a downwinder (with sufficient power) could be fun with lots of carving on a short, wide, bump 'n jump style slalom. I've got the ski. Your post has got me thinking again. :naughty:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:02 pm

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:31 am

was a guy ripping on skis on mui a few years ago. A whole trick bag no problem. Didnt seem to be going down wind! I have been on skis - i did go downwind - but on tried it a few times - it so would work ... the most amazing thing is much much you can load up teh rails by lifting the leward ski out the water!

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:59 pm

Didn't look good for him, at first ; then the guy Dialed-in to the point where
he looked to be having a BLAST , (he even stayed , kinda up-wind) !! :thumb:

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”