Favorite Beaches: Avon
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 2008 Best Waroo 11m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Upgrading after 8 years

Postby Soccer Du25 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:26 pm

Heading to hatteras/avon for the week on saturday. Looks like some pretty bad wind conditions, hopefully it can get a bit higher.

Any way I currently ride on a 142m misfit and a 2008 Waroo 11m. I weigh 155~ Learned on it a while ago and looking to purchase new this year. Spoke with the reps at real kiteboarding and they said I can demo as many kites as I would like and then just use the $100 towards the cost of the kite.

I plan to get a new kite, harness, and maybe a surf board. I've never used the surf board but it could be fun. I'm trying to decide what size kite to go with though. I notice the wind ranges are better on these newer kites. I was wanting a kite that would be able to get me up in that 10mph range but also hold up in the 18-20mph. Rarely do I find myself above 20+. I kite in myrtle beach for a week and OBX for a week. Figure worst comes to worst I'll just buy a 2011+ used for maybe $200 on craigslist that is smaller for the higher wind conditions.

What kites should I take a look at and what should I think to demo? What about harnesses, anything special out there? Same for surf boards/sizes.

Much appreciation in advance guys.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: Upgrading after 8 years

Postby SENDIT! » Thu May 26, 2016 7:46 pm

*Disclaimer* I sell kites and such for a living.

That wind range you're looking to try and fill with one kite is a *bit* wide. At my weight (225) and experience, I can hold down a 17m to around 25, but it isn't any fun at all. I personally think you're really looking for 2 kites, like a 17 and your 11. BUT, if you insist on only 1 kite, you should consider the Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5. It's pretty powerful for a 14.5, yet nimble for a kite that size. You'll have to check with Kittyhawk Kites there (ask for Nick) since Real doesn't carry them. I'd also investigate the Cabrinha Contra 15 while you're there. Good power with some pretty good high end. Hope that helps and good luck on your trip! :)

SENDIT!

EDIT: I forgot to add that after so many years of flying the same kite and an old one at that, EVERYTHING else new that you fly is going to seem AMAZING! Enjoy! :D

Soccer Du25
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Litchfield

Postby Soccer Du25 » Fri May 27, 2016 1:19 am

Hey SENDIT,

I appreciate the response. I will look in to those. what about the LF solo 12m vs 15.5?

kassak
Medium Poster

Postby kassak » Fri May 27, 2016 2:55 am

Kitty hawk kites does free demos one day of the week, don't remember which one. Definitely worth checking out.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri May 27, 2016 3:03 am

try a bunch at Real and come back and ask again when you have a better idea of what you want and what new kites do.

Soccer Du25
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Litchfield

Postby Soccer Du25 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:23 am

Knotwindy,

I plan to try a bunch, just wasn't sure what would be worth trying.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri May 27, 2016 3:27 am

these days, everything. There really s not a bad kite out there. Some are just better at doing certain things but they wll all do almost everything good enough for most riders.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Fri May 27, 2016 5:04 am

First, the purchase that will have the biggest effect on the number of days you can ride, and the type of wind you can enjoy, is a surfboard. It doesn't have to be fancy, it doesn't even have to be made for kitesurfing (but that helps).

Second, I really think you should have at least two kites. The one-kite-quiver is a myth. At your weight, if you don't go much over 20 knots, 13/9 or 12/9 would opens up a lot of good days. Pretty much any kite from the last few years is good, so if funds are limited, buy used, or Switch, or sale rack kites- you'll probably spend less on two kites then you would on one new 2016 kite. Having the right size is going to be far more important than having the exact right kite. Decide if you want a free-ride kite or a more aggressive kite, and pick any brand that is affordable and convenient.

Finally, I weigh about the same as you- 150 lbs. I have too many kites, and not a single one is as big as 14.5, it is too big for smaller people unless you are really committed to light-wind. If i could only keep one kite, it would be a 9 or 10 with a twin-tip and a surfboard. A case could be made for a 12m instead, but not a 14, not at your weight.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri May 27, 2016 7:18 am

thats 68kg right? So you gonna use your SB only or still use a TT. sounds like both. So something in the all round category. Pick a main kite, your workhorse that you will be on 70-80 percent of the time. Build a quiver around that. You are better off being 80 percent of the time in the sweet spot of your main kite than being in no mans land 80 percent of the time over two kites trying to cover a bigger wind range. That can be a lt of money in the sky (or sitting in your shed) doing little to f*** all. 142 for 68kg, that's pretty big..I'd get a smaller TT and your main kite would be between 8-10, depending on how much you'll spend on your SB or your TT. more on the TT a bigger kite in that range. TT's have also evolved, what year is it? I'd say 9-12 as per most would be a good start, then as someone said add a cheaper smaller kite. Mine only gets used 4 or 5 times a year, so I don't spend much on it. My workhorse though needs upgrading most years.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri May 27, 2016 10:02 am

10mph is pretty low. Just throwing an idea out there, but have you considered one of the convertible foil platforms? You could look at something like the cabrinha double agent/ liquid force fish (plenty of others but not sold at Real) as a first surf board with the option of buying the foil at a later date?

You would end up with a worse surf board but possibly a better (in the long run) directional board?

Return to “Kitesurfing”