Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foils in KOTA?

Forum for kitesurfers
ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Re: Foils in KOTA?

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:28 pm

What about a chrono v2 or speed 5 with a twin tip off a 3m kicker in 20 to 30 knots?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:44 pm

Sure. Without a handle pass or decent loop they'd be out in the first round regardless of height they get.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:12 am

For sure though I remember a few years back, a young bloke on a 8m ? flysurfer i think - doing big loops in Perth.

Looked interesting...

luke11
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Been thanked: 0

Postby luke11 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:16 am

In Hood River there is strong wind with sizeable swell that makes for good ramps. At last year's HuckFest the foils were going higher and bigger than twintips during most of the event. So, hydo-foils go as high or higher in strong winds.

Recently on foils I watched: 16 year old Fred sticking backroll kiteloops; Adam was sticking some sort of 720 with a board-off 360 that had a very high level of "extreme" with the foil spinning below him like helicopter blades, all at 50' above the water; and Damien throwing handle passes. So, the level of technical difficulty with hydro-foils is definitely rising fast.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:48 am

What about choppy conditions, are pros completely immune to chop? (As a mediocre sailor I f**k my jump loading quite often in messy chop, so any tips are welcome)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:53 am

ShaveTheWhales wrote:What about a chrono v2 or speed 5 with a twin tip off a 3m kicker in 20 to 30 knots?
Well I can compare my 12m chrono to my 13m and 10m edges. in 20 ish knots.

what I can say is the chrono kicks arse boosting from flat and glide ratio. But I can go higher off a ramp on the edges. Particularly the 10 edge. I can get the 10 edge higher than the 13 edge or the 12 chrono off a ramp around 22 knots.

Why? its easier to perfectly to time your send with the ramp. Plus there's more depower at the bar so haul faster depower more and send it more precisely.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:21 am

Unfortunately many on Woo leaderboard do not differentiate equipment.. I know there are now foils on the leaderboards...

Local socal riders are jumping and performing rolls on their foils so seems anything is possible...

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:50 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:What about choppy conditions, are pros completely immune to chop? (As a mediocre sailor I f**k my jump loading quite often in messy chop, so any tips are welcome)
There isn't much you can do about it, the wrong kind of chop will totally kill your speed when you're trying to line up a big boost. The only real solution is to find a stretch of flatter water, or just riding overpowered enough that you can pick up enough speed between hitting chop and the spot you want to boost.

The reason it isn't really a big deal for these competitions is that they are pretty decent wave spots -- there are big swells and it is relatively flat in between. So you can pick up a ton of speed before you get to the wave to jump off of.

Return to “Kitesurfing”