Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Backrolls vs jump spins

Forum for kitesurfers
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Backrolls vs jump spins

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:00 am

I'm approaching a year in and I'm jumping good and now wanting to nail down the fundamental backroll....I'm hitting about 1 out of every 10 I try but I'm doing it in chop and will get it eventually.

I'm hesitant to send the kite up for a jump and do a backroll spin just because I like to tip toe into shit :D Is there anything to worry about or focus on when I go for a 360 spin from a jump? Gonna try it out tomorrow :thumb:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Backrolls vs jump spins

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:59 am

I wouldn't add the kite to the mix until you can back roll and use the kite to complete the trick. If you send the kite and aim to spin under it like a mad man, you need pretty good situational awareness to control the kite . . .

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby dksurfer » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:08 am

Start in light wind. Remember which one is your front hand (look at it so you know). Pull on your front hand immediately after sending the kite. The back roll is really more like a 180, by the time you edge upwind and then land downwind.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:29 pm

lovethepirk wrote:I'm approaching a year in and I'm jumping good and now wanting to nail down the fundamental backroll....I'm hitting about 1 out of every 10 I try but I'm doing it in chop and will get it eventually.

I'm hesitant to send the kite up for a jump and do a backroll spin just because I like to tip toe into shit :D Is there anything to worry about or focus on when I go for a 360 spin from a jump? Gonna try it out tomorrow :thumb:
Go for it, it's really easy. Main advice is hands in middle of bar and let go of back hand or at least focus on not pulling back hand while you rotate else you will land a backroll kiteloop which I did on my first try haha.

I would start with backroll jump transition, it's easier and no pain if you fail. It will get you comfortable with rotation.
Just go for a normal sliding transition, so go slow send kite to 12 slowly and edge hard.
Instead of sliding, just keep edging as if you wanted to go straight upwind. At that point you all your speed should be going upwind / no more crosswind speed. Then you sheet in slightly and pop. You just need to rotate a little more and you pull on back hand which is now new front hand to ride the other way.
Make sure to send kite to 12 slowly else during rotation the kite will be way back and you will stall on landing. You are going only a few feet up... if you have trouble with stalling because kite is too far back: as you pop you can send kite back forward slightly and send it back as you spot landing. make sure to redirect kite really hard.

for backroll, it's actually easier without sending kite else you will most likely rotate too much and send kite too far back while rotating...

When you go for back roll you can keep fairly high and aim for a piece of chop turning into it and poping toward kite. as you turn into the piece of chop the kite is then behind you so you kind of pop backward. You don't want to try to rotate like crazy, just turn slowly upwind and pop, that's plenty of rotation. As you get better keep kite lower and pop a little harder.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:21 pm

One thing I think is missing is that all rotations should be controlled by your head (Its not like you carve and use your board to control the rotation). Once you do that doing higher rotations should be easier. Definitely keep your arms together and make a note of which arm is forward. Once you "get" that it is your head that controls it, you can throw a lot of variations on your rotations.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:20 am

spot on tauts, body follows the head. Especially when you start turning the spins into more vertical rolls.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:51 am

Do it in lighter winds with a bigger kite.
Way less risk to get hurt. You will see how easy it is.

Once you are at it, do it front and back. See what goes easier for you.

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:59 pm

As others have implied, the natural tendency when you really boost your first backrolls will be to pull with the back hand. This will cause you untold pain and a hesitancy to try again. I'd advise to put the back hand super close to the centerline, even thread the centerline between your fingers.

You will also feel the need to spin too quickly at first. All you really need is a 180. Redirecting the kite will bring you around nicely. Also, I think a big, boosted backroll with a long stall at 180 (looking backwards) is way cooler than spastically spinning 2 or 3 times around.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:22 pm

ThickAir wrote:All you really need is a 180. Redirecting the kite will bring you around nicely. Also, I think a big, boosted backroll with a long stall at 180 (looking backwards) is way cooler than spastically spinning 2 or 3 times around.
This.

This is why you have to have your situational awareness and kite skills at least co-ordinated--flying the kite while backwards.

And then you can spin several times but feel less spastic :D

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:03 pm

Good tips thanks. I typically try all this stuff with the bigger kite and low winds.

I think I'm decent on the kite awareness and front hand...It took me a while before after a crash I didn't pull a hand thinking the kite was going to go back up and find I just pulled the kite smack into the water. When I landed backwards was when I really got confused as your front hand is not back. I like the tip on starting with the transitions as that slows your forward movement, I may try those first, then hit the spastical spins lol.

Return to “Kitesurfing”