What is it about Foilers?

Forum for kitesurfers
kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

What is it about Foilers?

Postby kitegirls » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:10 pm

What is it about foilers that make them lose all respect for everyone around them and every kiting rule ever? You know at some point they spent some time on a twintip for a while so wtf?

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Re: What is it about Foilers?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:38 pm

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:39 pm

You must live in a weird spot. I'd say virtually all foilers here forfeit right of way to other kiters almost every time. Upwind is just too easy for us to even care. I can see its hard for others to comprehend sometimes on the water when say, Im on port and hold my line, but those are the times when I reach the point our trajectories intersect about 100m before they do. If its gonna come anywhere near a line length, I just give it to them, even if I'm starboard tack. Gets strange as our lines of travel and usually speeds are just so different. I was very conscious of never riding near others when learning as I just didn't know when it would all go sideways at speed, but at this point, we can high five whenever you want.

I can imagine there are plenty of foilers who take a degree of joy in outpointing everyone else and like to rub it in at any given opportunity. Those guys were dicks on twin tips too.

Most other non kite craft are really sketched out by foilers and I have seen all manner of boat change coarse way way way prematurely to avoid. Usually by the time they even approach the area the were concerned about I'm a km away.

Cabarete_Dom
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Cabarete_Dom » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:00 pm

Yeah I'm not sure who your foiling around, but everyone near me is respectful and has been kiting long enough that they are experienced enough to foil and respect everything and everyone.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:51 am

I sense the troll is strong with this one....

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:53 am

Pretty much we all give way to twin tips since it's so easy to go upwind.

kitegirls
Medium Poster

Postby kitegirls » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:56 am

90%+ of the foilers in my area sit between 40 feet and 80 feet from the water line in the launch/landing zone. Most of them are doing 360s 75% of the time they are on the water 50 feet from shore sending their kites both ways constantly without looking. 75% of the time I am overtaking a foiler or passing on opposite tacks they fight me on my twintip for upwind ground. 80% of the time they are clumsy coming in and drop their kites everywhere especially on kites and lines of people 30 to 90 seconds from launching. several of them yell at you if your feet are in the water coming off the beach and they are coming in. Apparently foilers have the right-of-way in all cases, especially coming into the beach. Its nothing personal. Its just my experience every single day. Any suggestions for what I can say or do. I'm kinda getting scarred. They tend to yell a lot...

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:20 am

Man sounds like your spot sucks :(

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:21 am

kitegirls wrote: Any suggestions for what I can say or do. I'm kinda getting scarred. They tend to yell a lot...
What you could do is ride somewhere else because this is not normal behavior for respectable foilers...all those misfits causing you stress ...are major kooks showing off

What sounds like yelling to you...it's just guys speaking loud....don't be scared

Remember girls wear pink hearing aids and guys wear blue ones
The same thing has different meaning

Girl says....i have nothing to wear.... means she has nothing new to wear
Guy says....i have nothing to wear.... means he has nothing clean to wear

kitegirls
Medium Poster

Postby kitegirls » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:40 am

PullStrings wrote:
kitegirls wrote: Any suggestions for what I can say or do. I'm kinda getting scarred. They tend to yell a lot...
What you could do is ride somewhere else because this is not normal behavior for respectable foilers...all those misfits causing you stress ...are major kooks showing off

What sounds like yelling to you...it's just guys speaking loud....don't be scared

Remember girls wear pink hearing aids and guys wear blue ones
The same thing has different meaning

Girl says....i have nothing to wear.... means she has nothing new to wear
Guy says....i have nothing to wear.... means he has nothing clean to wear
Nah brah, guys like "I'm comin' in, get the f*** out of the way!" & "f***! You made me fall!" etc
I noticed that you only quoted the most minor part of the above offenses. Must have somin against women kiters? Maybe you just like to play with boys? :movingbutt:
Last edited by kitegirls on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”