Forum for kitesurfers
ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: North Rebel Evo or Naish Pivot

Postby ichabod » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:02 pm

I have not flown a Pivot but have flown Evos, Rebels and Dice (all in the 9 to 12m sizes) extensively. I would go for an Evo over a Rebel any time. I may get flamed for this but here goes.. To me the Rebel feels really cumbersome and lifeless. I find it is awkward to loop and has a poor steering feel. It does have good hang time for big floaty jumps if thats your thing but personally I find the Evo better for jumping.

I don't mind using 5 line kites, but the real downside is that it ties you into using the North 5 line bar. This prevents you easily mixing and matching other kite brands in your quiver without buying more bars (and carrying them all with you on trips). If you are away from home and your bar/lines break then not as much chance of borrowing a replacement.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:35 pm

The Evo and Core GTS are about the only two kites on the market that could lure me away from my quiver of Pivots. The Pivots have yet to let me down. I've tomahawked them hard learning tricks, rolled them up in decent waves and have booney style drift launched them in places that kites don't belong for almost two years. They have served me well. I can't complain about it's boosting ability, I do think a Nitro or Switchblade could out jump it, but that's about the only +1 I can give another brand that I've flown. I think any higher aspect ratio kite is going to be better in the boost and hang category, but I don't want to live with the other attributes those style of kites typically bring. (IE: terrible drift, fly too far forward in the window, high bar pressure, shitty relaunch, 5 struts, etc.) But it all really depends so much on the individual and what's important - going upwind at insane angles, boosting to the moon, autopilot drifting, unhooking.........there are specialty kites that will work better. However in my (NON-affiliated) opinion, the Pivots are great jack-of-all trades kites that can do a few things really well. I would be fully confident putting a beginner on one too.

A big thumbs up to Naish for putting out a great kite.

(Now don't go and change it.........except the bag. The bag sucks! LOL)

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:15 pm

POACHER wrote:The Evo and Core GTS are about the only two kites on the market that could lure me away from my quiver of Pivots. The Pivots have yet to let me down. I've tomahawked them hard learning tricks, rolled them up in decent waves and have booney style drift launched them in places that kites don't belong for almost two years. They have served me well. I can't complain about it's boosting ability, I do think a Nitro or Switchblade could out jump it, but that's about the only +1 I can give another brand that I've flown. I think any higher aspect ratio kite is going to be better in the boost and hang category, but I don't want to live with the other attributes those style of kites typically bring. (IE: terrible drift, fly too far forward in the window, high bar pressure, shitty relaunch, 5 struts, etc.) But it all really depends so much on the individual and what's important - going upwind at insane angles, boosting to the moon, autopilot drifting, unhooking.........there are specialty kites that will work better. However in my (NON-affiliated) opinion, the Pivots are great jack-of-all trades kites that can do a few things really well. I would be fully confident putting a beginner on one too.

A big thumbs up to Naish for putting out a great kite.

(Now don't go and change it.........except the bag. The bag sucks! LOL)

Looking at the Pivots they look similar to the EVO to me....

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:32 pm

matth wrote: Looking at the Pivots they look similar to the EVO to me....
Definitely not any kind of similar to the EVO I had...but that was an earlier one. I have not tried them in about two seasons or so...but the one I tried is not too similar.

Personally, I find it hard to compare just by looks. :-)

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:32 am

The evo changed in 2014 and has now 3 generations on the new platform. Not like the old ones at all.

The new evo will put jump the pivot. It will hold itself together when super nuked. It loops much better.

The pivot will drift better in the surf.

Simple really. Depends on what you are looking for and the 'feel' you like.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 pm

These users thanked the author PAFF for the post:
Mou1981 (Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:51 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

JamesB
Rare Poster
Gear: North and Ion
Brand Affiliation: North
Been thanked: 0

Postby JamesB » Fri May 19, 2017 11:47 pm

I'm a fan of both the Rebels and Evos. I recently switched my 9m and 12m 2016 Rebels out for the same size 2017 Evos. The main reason for switching was based on the more well-rounded aspect of the Evo for jumping, unhooking and waves.

Here's a bit of a tangent about 4 versus 5-line kites:

I like the simplicity of the 4-line but I've been flying 5-line kites for most of my days under a kite and don't find that one more line makes any difference in complexity. Although it can wrap if the kite tumbles. We have used them starting back in the early 2000's when we added 5th lines to our inflatable kites by attaching them to the trailing edge for reverse launching on the snow. It saved a lot of wear and tear on the leading edge, especially when the snow was icy. Then we started connecting them to the center of the leading edge so that we could pull on the 5th line to get the kite to roll onto its back for easy relaunch in light wind conditions on water.

The dedicated 5th line of the Rebels adds both that easy water relaunch as well as the immediate kill of power when you release the kite. You can also use them as an option on a bridled 4-line like the Rebel but only get the benefit of the relaunch, not the immediate kill of power. Personally, I like that option of easy relaunch so I bought the 5-line adapter kit for my 4-line Click bars. It was super easy to install and can be removed easily too. I figure that I'll use it on my 18m Juice for obviously light wind conditions, and may as well throw it on my Evo bars as well.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sun May 21, 2017 3:16 am

PAFF wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 pm
Hrmmm..
https://vimeo.com/193575269
Great kiteloop but it seems to me like the kite is stalling a bit at 9 seconds? Double Hrmmmmmmm....

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.
Been thanked: 0

Postby hudstur » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Go with an Ocean Rodeo Prodigy or Flite. Fingers get pinched on the Naish bar middle thru lines.

Return to “Kitesurfing”