Tue May 16, 2017 12:35 pm
Ive tried sheeting in and it didnt help much
That's the opposite of what everyone is suggesting :thumb:

hahaha yeah sorry i meant trimming in

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: slingshot turbine Help

Postby SENDIT! » Tue May 16, 2017 6:43 pm

ragzilla wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 9:09 am
lastly..... stop riding your 136 twinny.... and go get yourself a big 150x46 twinny, or a mini directional.
let us know how you go!
***Disclaimer-I sell Litewave and many others...

ragzilla hit this right on the head. You never said how much you weigh or what winds you're flying this in, but that little 138 probably isn't going to be enough to get you going upwind if it's light enough to be flying a 17 in the first place. No one wants to fly the biggest kite and ride the biggest board possible, but the conditions dictate the tools. If you're primarily wanting to practice some wakestyle tricks in light wind, you'll need a board with some pop and rocker to get it done. That's a tall order for a light wind board. I'd recommend a Litewave Wing 155, unless you're as heavy as I am (230 pies), in which case I'd get (and I did) the 165.
https://www.xlkites.com/boards/248-lite ... 5-165.html

Good luck and hope that helps!

SENDIT!

Lloyd107
Rare Poster
Gear: kitesurfing gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lloyd107 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:57 pm

Im about 100kg and i didn't really buy the turbine to be pushing light wind. I just wanted something that would get me out there and riding when the wind isn't enough for my twelve.

And it does the job pretty well, i can still throw a lot of my stuff and enjoy the cleaner waves you get in those conditions for kickers

having though about it i guess i can't expect to get the same sort of upwind drive of light wind kite. but I'm gong to try keeping it a little higher next time and see if that helps a bit

cheers for the help

ripper tom
Medium Poster

Postby ripper tom » Thu May 18, 2017 4:21 pm

flying the kite higher and you can go better upwind ! it`s a little turbine trick ;-)

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri May 19, 2017 2:49 am

You have a board and kite mismatch...it's all about balance between the two
At 100 kg 12sqm kite and 138x42 makes sense in the wind you like to use it
Definitely need a much wider board to track upwind with more ease ...but it does not have to be too long for doing your tricks
5 to 8 cm wider with flatter rocker would help

ragzilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy

Postby ragzilla » Fri May 19, 2017 5:28 pm

138x44!!!!!!!

sounds like youre on a high rocker & stiff wakestyle board!!
f*@# that off real quick!!

*tip*
you might think you look cool because you ride a wakestyle board..... but nothing is uncooler than riding wakestyle gear when you cant ride wakestyle.
I should know.... i ride a Tona and rarely unhook!!

the wrong equipment will hold you back drastically!
go borrow a friends bigger board and have a crack!

you still owe me a beer!!

Lloyd107
Rare Poster
Gear: kitesurfing gear

Postby Lloyd107 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:56 pm

hahaha no the 138 is not a wake style board. its a xenon laluz. really nice board

i think the turbine works really well with a regular twin. it unhooks nicely and gives a constant pull, doesn't slack so well

obviously won't get the same low end on a small board but I'm not interested in riding in those low end winds.

My twelve takes a lot of wind to get me going and the turbine fills in a nice gap. Ive never ridden a light wind kite before so I've realised there is a bit of a learning to it

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri May 19, 2017 9:36 pm

Lloyd107 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 7:21 pm
Im struggling with getting upwind on my turbine despite feeling pretty powered. It just seems to want to go downwind. I found I i can go upwind if i edge really hard but even then its not great. I've tried sheeting in but that does not do much either. I find it really hard to get the kite to fly forward in the window.

Anyone know what i could do differently?
Answer: keep the 42cm wide TT to go with the 12sqm. Buy a 5- 8cm wider board to go with 17 sqm. You are 100kg. There is nothing different you can do.
42 is too narrow..even when you edge hard you are really going sideways...keeping the 17 locked in the power zone...a wider board will send the kite forward
You will have more fun...you won't have to work at it

ragzilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy

Postby ragzilla » Sat May 20, 2017 4:28 am

The Xenon Laluz is a nice board.
i used to ride my buddys until i snapped it.
i enjoyed it while it lasted though.

im a little heavier than you (anywhere from 110kg-120kg depending on yesterdays sh**).... and i wouldnt bother riding anything less than 141.
i have in the past bought 138's but i just get better performance out of a bigger board.

I also find that as a heavier rider, i get better perfomance out of a stiffer board. Remember that a stiff board to a 70kg rider, is just regular flex to a heavy rider.
Sure.... i can ride a 128 if i need to.... but i swear dude.... once you get the right board for you, after the first run you will say "holy sh**, this is what a proper board is supposed to feel like".... and your riding will be so much easier and enjoyable.
You will - edge less - point higher - jump higher - land smoother - ride faster - and progress

When i started, i bought a tiny 138x43 deck.... and i knew it was a little small than recommended but figured i would figure it out and know none the wiser.
( for the record, i also used to go out without a leash until some local came up and asked me where my leash was .... "what's a leash??")
That whole season i struggled to get any further than 50m on my natural foot. then id loose the board and body drag back to shore to find my board.
An entire season F***ing aroung with the wrong equipment.
Then a local put me on his big old 150+ board....... and i was instantly off and riding. swapped him my 2014 Naish dub for this old 150+ and by the end of the day i was riding toeside , transitioning easy, and load & popping.

I say this over and over......
get the right tool for the job.

light wind riding is an art..... i know heaps of local shredder who can rip big in the 25kn.... but they cant backroll in 12kn.
Dont bitch about your kite..... just go get a nice big 150+ board with no rocker.

you still owe me a beer

Return to “Kitesurfing”