Forum for kitesurfers
airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Samsung Gear S3 for kiting?

Postby airsurfer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 am

I've read the posts about other surf watches but I already have the Gear S3 and like the fact that it works as a phone too. Anyone tried kiting with it yet? just wondering if it will hold up. Also I've had 2 Garmin GPS watches that only lasted about 6 months of kiting so I'm a little skeptical of waterproof claims of electronics.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Samsung Gear S3 for kiting?

Postby gmb13 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:17 am

Done it. It died. Not under warranty as it was in salt water.

Always pays to read the small print on the IP rating.

--
Gunnar

ianridesnowaves
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach
Favorite Beaches: Playa Copal, La Ventana, Kite Beach Maui, The Delta River.
Style: Wake
Gear: Naish
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ianridesnowaves » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:53 am

airsurfer wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 am
I've read the posts about other surf watches but I already have the Gear S3 and like the fact that it works as a phone too. Anyone tried kiting with it yet? just wondering if it will hold up. Also I've had 2 Garmin GPS watches that only lasted about 6 months of kiting so I'm a little skeptical of waterproof claims of electronics.
Any luck with trying this out while kiteboarding?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:42 am

Get a Suunto. They know how to make a waterproof product because they make serious dive watches. I have an Ambit 3 I've used a season, in Sweden, in Brazil, in the hot tub. No problems.

ble
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baltic sea
Gear: Cabrinha SB 10, 8

Postby ble » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Garmin fenix 3hr. 6 months of kitinig, wakeboarding, poolswiming, sauna, very happy

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:00 pm

I can’t comment on it for kitting, but maybe there’s a dive housing to protect it.

In general it was a few generations ahead before Apple’s watch came out with cellular, and Consumer Reports rated it slightly higher than Apple and recommended it for Android users.

A consideration has to also include the cell carrier cost for both. Also battery life, reception, etc.

There are probably a few tech forums you could search for user comments, or Amazon listing reviews.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:52 am

Airsurfer, I'm confused. How does it work as a phone? You still need a phone next to it, don't you? Or is it an independent phone, so to speak?

I'd definitely be interested if it were an independent phone!

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:55 am

^^It's not. Also not very waterproof. I was going to order one but the survivability factor is pretty crappy for what I do so orfered the Garmin Fenix 5x instead.

ianridesnowaves
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach
Favorite Beaches: Playa Copal, La Ventana, Kite Beach Maui, The Delta River.
Style: Wake
Gear: Naish

Postby ianridesnowaves » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:23 am

Well after doing a lot of research I narrowed down my options, for what I'm looking for out of a watch, to the Garmin Fenix 3 and the Samsung Gear S3. A friend of mine has been using the Fenix 3 for the last 2 years kiting with zero problems. The only thing stopping me from getting the Samsung Gear S3 is whether or not it's as durable as the Fenix 3. I want the Gear S3 because I love riding on the water listening to tunes and the features I want overlap with the Fenix 3 AND it has MP3 capability.

ble
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baltic sea
Gear: Cabrinha SB 10, 8

Postby ble » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:26 am

Bushflyr wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:55 am
^^It's not. Also not very waterproof. I was going to order one but the survivability factor is pretty crappy for what I do so orfered the Garmin Fenix 5x instead.
Friend got fenix 5X he somehow managed to break thing in back that measures heart rate (ceacked) even it is much smaller then on version 3
Another friend has apple watch not the newest one. He carries iphone in waterproof pouch, manages to answer calls while kiting :) whaterproof is OK, but screen scratches alot..
ianridesnowaves wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:23 am
Well after doing a lot of research I narrowed down my options, for what I'm looking for out of a watch, to the Garmin Fenix 3 and the Samsung Gear S3. A friend of mine has been using the Fenix 3 for the last 2 years kiting with zero problems. The only thing stopping me from getting the Samsung Gear S3 is whether or not it's as durable as the Fenix 3. I want the Gear S3 because I love riding on the water listening to tunes and the features I want overlap with the Fenix 3 AND it has MP3 capability.
I had this exact choice. Touch display is not so responsive when wet, waterproof is no good at all. No warranty when with saltwater damage. Also when had both in hand samsung was shinny toy, while garmin more like military style something little similar to what I like in Panerai wathes ( dont have one :D )..

Regarding music garmin got music control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRa3TTC8-8

but you have to carry phone with you. Personally I got phone with me most of the time I go downwide, call after session to collect me. Last summer local dealer offered me a waterpoof casing for phone with airphone jack out + waterproof earphones but I did not pay attention to it much.

Return to “Kitesurfing”