Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wind speed for Foiling, Kite dropping out of sky?

Forum for kitesurfers
plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: WInd speed for Foiling, Kite dropping out of sky?

Postby plummet » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:20 am

I can foil from 6 knots with NY chrono. But below 8 is dodgy because of kite falling out of sky potential and in my location than means a long swim and or wrecked gear on barnacle encrusted boulders. So its not worth the risk.

In truth I can't be fucked until 12+ knots.

Then like all kiting the windier it gets the more fun it gets for me.

PS. Learning to foil is difficult and frustrating. If you are an impatient learner foiling is not for you! Mentally prepare yourself for months of feeling like a newbie splashing around in the ocean.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind speed for Foiling, Kite dropping out of sky?

Postby coleman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:09 pm

jonysan wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:03 pm
What wind speed do most people Foil in ? was out the other day the wind speed was around 20 knots, a Foil rider came past , and I'm thinking " that's look interesting, and brave" . so it can be done in high -ish winds. e.g. Racing.
just to give you an idea, i have a 9m sonic2 race kite that i recently got. i can keep it in the air in about 5kts of wind....with a larger front wing i can get planing in prob 7-9kts, once planing the kite generates more and more power as you gain speed. its an amazing kite. i've also had that kite out in 15-20+ kts and its no problem. then i use a smaller front wing and the speeds are high. jumps are lofty and big.

in 25+ kts and up to 30+ i'll use a 6m ozone reo and still on the hydrofoil. in high wind the kites drift really well and you can have alot of fun looping and carving around. prob around 30kts i'd be happier on a 4m but i dont have one of those yet.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:16 pm

Mr Plummet, Mr Coleman,

Thanks for the insight into Foiling, I realise it will take some time, bashed shins , a fair bit of swearing, but the idea of eventually foiling in medium to higher winds certainly appeals.
It's interesting to hear about Foiling from you guys that have been doing it for a while.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi jonysan - I believe you havent seen the hydrofoil forum ?

It is on the top left, link is here: viewforum.php?f=196

Loads of topics about your very questions, you could start with a search :naughty:

You are right, your normal kites dont work at all below 10 knots, nope.

But if you learn in 11-12 knots and up, it is easier and faster to learn anyways - so start using your current kites in a bit more wind, when learning.
Add some 5-7 meter line extensions when you get better, and you dont need new kites, as long as it is 10 knots and up.

When you get better, you can use even bigger kites, or much smaller kites - your own preference :thumb:

The hydrofoils got a huge windrange, compared to anything else.

Strutless or onestrut or light LEI kites are way better in sub 10 knots, actually the only thing used, besides foilkites that some prefer, ups and down of both, but they work from 5 knots and up.

You WILL end up getting a light kite (LEI of foil) when you have learned foiling and discovered the AMAZING feel and options you got now, and you will simply love going out on 6-8 knots warm summerdays with turquoise water, it is simply a blast noone can resist :D

8) Peter

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:27 pm

You WILL end up getting a light kite (LEI of foil) when you have learned foiling and discovered the AMAZING feel and options you got now, and you will simply love going out on 6-8 knots warm summerdays with turquoise water, it is simply a blast noone can resist :D

8) Peter
I can resist it! 6-8 knot foiling is boring as hell and for me too freaken risky for along swim and or damaged gear.

I'll do it every now and then if i'm really desperate. But in reality I have more fun things to do sub 12 knots.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:51 pm

Thanks Peter,
Yet to find turquoise water in England, possibly some around the Scottish islands, and Cornwall. !!!

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:38 am

I switched out my 12m switch nitro to a LF envy and that helped with the low end. I can comfortably ride in about 10 knots with lulls of 9, and I can survive with lulls of 8 as long as I'm riding and don't miss a gybe on my way back to the beach. Usually ride my foil as high out of the water as possible, dive off of it into shallow water as my kite drops like a rock out of the sky onto the beach. Don't worry, it's very elegant.

I've tried a 15m contra and was able to more or less get going in 8 knots but the kite felt almost as unstable as my 12, and once I got up and moving on the foil I almost had too much power. So for me at 65kg a 12m or 13m in ~9-10 knots is my absolute low end with a "regular" lightweight LEI. I could definitely see getting a 13-14m foil kite and getting more low end out of that. Not really interested in single/no strut kites so I haven't looked at those.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:17 pm

jonysan wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:51 pm
Thanks Peter,
Yet to find turquoise water in England, possibly some around the Scottish islands, and Cornwall. !!!

Well, you can find both green and turquoise water in England at many spots, probably even where you usually ride :rollgrin:

The thing is, you have never ridden in 7-8 knots on a summerday and seen it all from above - it works magic, the water and colours :naughty:

Here at my local beach, when the sun was right, some time ago on my first foil, out with a 13 m2 LEI in almost no wind at my local beach, with my friend in the background - look how the colours are from above !
The picture is not enhanced after the kitecam shot - it came out like this, and got lots of other pictures like this, some more turquoise than green also - eventhough this one is maybe the most extreme I have experienced - an awesome summerday in shorts

BY1.jpg

And these are common pictures when out on summerdays in this light wind, at sandy beaches with sun, and our coasts in Denmark are pretty often a lot like yours in UK and as such not exotic in any way.

When you have a sandy bottom you can ride safely over 2 feet of water, when you have learned, and here the colours are amazing.

Many, in fact most I believe, thrive on these 7-9 knot days.

It is where you find the true meaning of totally silence, zen, and balance - and still have fun and enjoying and practicing the finer art of hydrofoiling, where you progress and learn difficult things, or just enjoy everything !

A few (not many though) dont bother in these winds, but most really love these conditions and this is why I predict you WILL get a lighter kite, when you have learned hydrofoiling :rollgrin:

You can look forward to a totally new era in your kitesurf history from now on, but remember it is REALLY difficult at first, and many thinks it cant be right - but it is just uphill when starting, dont worry you will get there, like everybody else, quite fast - eventhough it might seem impossible at first steps :wink:

8) Peter

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:59 am

Very well said Peter.
Some of the very best days of my 18 years kiteboarding have been on my foilboard in about 9 or 10 knots of wind. It is steady, smooth, fast and just beautiful.

My 13m foil kite (Chrono) is awesome or my one strut 12m (Boxer) is also a great way to get out in these conditions.
And I don't just go straight in these conditions; I throw jumps, backrolls, kiteloops and transitions all the time. The hydrofoil is very much fun :D

:wink: CG
Last edited by cglazier on Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rakky
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rakky » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:26 am

How difficult is it to get started in such low winds with a larger LEI or foil kite? meaning, do you loop it or aggressive maneuvers?
and downwind - looping, to prevent it dropping?

Return to “Kitesurfing”