raztec
Rare Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How critical is line length?

Postby raztec » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm looking to get a bar to use with multiple kites and I've come across one with 19m line length. From my understanding this is good for small kites 5-8m, but not for larger ones.

My main kites will be 8, 9.5, and 12m.

A couple questions:

1.Am I ok to use this bar with 19m lines with my multiple kites, or am I better off with one with 23 or 24m line length?
2. How reliable and hassle free are line extensions?

Thanks
A

El_Norte_Adventures
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island
Style: Hydrofoil and directionals
Gear: LP Foil with low aspect wing, Ocean Rodeo Jester, OR Prodigys and Flite
Brand Affiliation: elnorteadventures.com, Ocean Rodeo, LP Foils, Slingshot, Ride Engine, Xcel
Been thanked: 0

Re: How critical is line length?

Postby El_Norte_Adventures » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:18 pm

19m is on the shorter side but not overly so. You will have a slightly more responsive kite and a bit less time during your power stroke. I would pick up a set of 4 or 5m extensions to improve your low end on the 12m, however the 12 will fly fine without them. Maybe someone else here as a different opinion though?

I have never had a reliability issue with extensions. As far as hassle free I find if you go much over 5m threading them through becomes a bit of a pain unless you can use a larks head to attach them. Keep something in your bag to neatly wind them up with after use - prevents sorting out a tangly mess when you need them!

Length of the bar itself has an effect on steering as well, sometimes the bars with shorter lines are also shorter in length.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Re: How critical is line length?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:24 am

22-24 is what the majority of people and riding gets done on. Extensions are painless and handy to have for sure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”