Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Could someone please invent a better way to self land a kite in high wind.

Forum for kitesurfers
dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: Could someone please invent a better way to self land a kite in high wind.

Postby dylan* » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:45 pm

hm, i've never had a problem self landing in ~30 knots just by flagging a 4 line kite. maybe the bridle shape has a lot to do with how well it stays put without flying around too much.

it's kind of a shame there isn't any way to reel the lines in or out, like the oldschool reel bars. something like that would be so convenient for kiting, it's too bad there isn't a good way to do it.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:20 pm

I will usually flag out in the water if I can. Less chance of damaging the kite and it tends to stick to the water. As soon as you flag just start wrapping the flag line around your bar as fast as you can not worry about how messy it gets, you can sort it out later.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:23 pm
Presumably this has been seen by some? Don’t know the windspeed though.

https://youtu.be/K5XvVmf1pas

Good technique in light to moderate steady wind, but I would not be so confident in high wind. If the wind is to the point that you would have to put sand on your kite to keep it down, then you could not safely land like this.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Agreed.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:46 pm

dylan* wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:45 pm
hm, i've never had a problem self landing in ~30 knots just by flagging a 4 line kite. maybe the bridle shape has a lot to do with how well it stays put without flying around too much.
Then you haven't been out in enough wind! you get to a point of stupid overpowered when theres still too much pull with the kite flagged out on the safety. You cant walk the line.

In that instance I dump the kite to safety in the white wash on purpose. A wave rolls over it and holds it down long enough for me to run to it and secure it before it blows away.
This ususally happens 40 + knots. In these instances its good to have an obstruction to land the kite behind like a building, Use a teather is also a good option. And ultimately have a kite catching gimp handy.

The problem with stupid high wind sessions is that most of the time theres only a couple of hardened individuals out and no kite catching gimps around!

roninXpl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.

Postby roninXpl » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Good point with landing in the water and so true about it being hard to walk the lines in high wind.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Over 20 knots self launch and self land can be sketchy. On self launch a bit of sand on the leeward wingtip can help but at the end of the day the most important thing is to make sure that there's nobody/nothing downwind within two kite line lengths in case everything goes tits up and you have to flag out. Sorry to be technical. :-)

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:49 pm

plummet wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:46 pm
dylan* wrote:
Then you haven't been out in enough wind! you get to a point of stupid overpowered when theres still too much pull with the kite flagged out on the safety. You cant walk the line.

In that instance I dump the kite to safety in the white wash on purpose. A wave rolls over it and holds it down long enough for me to run to it and secure it before it blows away.
This ususally happens 40 + knots. In these instances its good to have an obstruction to land the kite behind like a building, Use a teather is also a good option. And ultimately have a kite catching gimp handy.

The problem with stupid high wind sessions is that most of the time theres only a couple of hardened individuals out and no kite catching gimps around!
to be fair, i wouldn't even consider kiting alone in 40 knots anyway. always have someone around in strong wind in case something goes wrong.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:35 am

dylan* wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:49 pm
plummet wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:46 pm
dylan* wrote:

to be fair, i wouldn't even consider kiting alone in 40 knots anyway. always have someone around in strong wind in case something goes wrong.
Then I guess this conversation is not for you.

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:50 am

I have used this technique for very long and never backfired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGunSQnLc3s

30+kts, pretty gusty sometimes. When you get used to the technique you can steer the kite easily from the frontlines if it bounces a bit by gusty wind.
Not recommended in stupidly overpowered winds though :D If there is still crazy pull when fully depowered, wouldnt try it.

Not familiar with 5th line, buth with 4 line would never do those "flip your kite by pulling 1 line" like the video someone posted. In strong wind. In lightwind those are good and easy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”