Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Could someone please invent a better way to self land a kite in high wind.

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Could someone please invent a better way to self land a kite in high wind.

Postby edt » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:55 pm

tomtom wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:19 pm
thats releasing not landing :)
Exactly. Using the Quick Release is the single best way to land your kite. It is safe, it is reliable, and best of all it helps train your quick release muscle memory. Even if you have other techniques like a tethered land or a front line technique, you should always use the QR from time to time. It is my number one technique in nuking wind as it is the safest way to land your kite.

There are way too many kiters who have not used their Quick Release in years or even decades. Then when the shit goes down and they get a death loop, there's this 1 or 2 second pause. Using the quick release on a regular basis builds muscle memory and allows you to release the QR instantly when you really need it. Like anything else practice is required. You don't think that you can just pick up a guitar and play it after not using it for ten years, why do you think you can use the quick release quickly without ever practicing it. Yes you will eventually use the QR, but only after you get lofted 10 feet in the air. That 1 second delay can be critical.

Use the QR to land. It's good!

Oh and when it's nuking, I always activate the QR while I am still in the water for an additional layer of safety.

Where I ride there's often low lying clouds so you can't see a squall coming in. So everyone is out on the water completely overcast but no dark clouds, we can't see shit, it looks safe but then BAM, it bumps up to 40+ knots and there's that shelf cloud. Everyone is racing to the launch, and standing with their kites in the air, so dangerous. In cases like this releasing your QR on the water is safe and effective, but unless you think about it ahead of time, it's hard to do, you race up to the launch and then it's too late to activate the QR on the water.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Could someone please invent a better way to self land a kite in high wind.

Postby matth » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:13 pm

edt wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:55 pm
tomtom wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:19 pm
thats releasing not landing :)
Exactly. Using the Quick Release is the single best way to land your kite. It is safe, it is reliable, and best of all it helps train your quick release muscle memory. Even if you have other techniques like a tethered land or a front line technique, you should always use the QR from time to time. It is my number one technique in nuking wind as it is the safest way to land your kite.

There are way too many kiters who have not used their Quick Release in years or even decades. Then when the shit goes down and they get a death loop, there's this 1 or 2 second pause. Using the quick release on a regular basis builds muscle memory and allows you to release the QR instantly when you really need it. Like anything else practice is required. You don't think that you can just pick up a guitar and play it after not using it for ten years, why do you think you can use the quick release quickly without ever practicing it. Yes you will eventually use the QR, but only after you get lofted 10 feet in the air. That 1 second delay can be critical.

Use the QR to land. It's good!

Oh and when it's nuking, I always activate the QR while I am still in the water for an additional layer of safety.

Where I ride there's often low lying clouds so you can't see a squall coming in. So everyone is out on the water completely overcast but no dark clouds, we can't see shit, it looks safe but then BAM, it bumps up to 40+ knots and there's that shelf cloud. Everyone is racing to the launch, and standing with their kites in the air, so dangerous. In cases like this releasing your QR on the water is safe and effective, but unless you think about it ahead of time, it's hard to do, you race up to the launch and then it's too late to activate the QR on the water.

Agree 1000%. I hit my QR1 AND QR2 before every sesh....

Return to “Kitesurfing”