Rare Poster
Style: Big Air/Wakestyle
Gear: 12-10-8 Naish Torch 2016
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Torch 2018

Postby LorenzoS » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:41 pm

It's very unfortunate bit I've to agree with what has been said on this thread.

I've also been riding the Torch for a decade now and the 2017/2018 models have been a big disappointment imo. Yes the low-end is improved by extending the 5th line but it's still not close to the 2016 model. The 2016 had a better low-end and frankly it's not our role to be playing with the 5th line setting and having one bar per kite.... I remember enjoying the Torch so much in 2016 that I thought to myself, "I hope they don't modify at all". Well guess what, they did it for the worst.

I've sold my 2017 kites and for now I'm riding the 2016s that I've left in my garage. The 9m was just my all time favorite kite.

I'll demo other kites and see what's up. I've tired the new Vegas but its handling isn't as crisp as the Torch. Anyone has tried the Dash or other freestyle kites?

-Lorenzo

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:01 pm

mago wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:41 pm
Kehler wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:56 pm
Hi I have tried 10cm on the 2017 10 meter, and it is a totaly different Kite in a good Way. Thanks
great. that's about right. maybe even a lil more.check that when flying at 12 (without pulling the bar), the 5th does not stay pulled but has some slack. :bye:
So it sounds like there is something with the 5th that is a bit off? Is it that one bar or for all bars? It would certainly explain a lot.

a.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:08 pm

LorenzoS wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:41 pm

I've also been riding the Torch for a decade now and the 2017/2018 models have been a big disappointment imo. Yes the low-end is improved by extending the 5th line but it's still not close to the 2016 model. The 2016 had a better low-end and frankly it's not our role to be playing with the 5th line setting and having one bar per kite.... I remember enjoying the Torch so much in 2016 that I thought to myself, "I hope they don't modify at all". Well guess what, they did it for the worst.

I've sold my 2017 kites and for now I'm riding the 2016s that I've left in my garage. The 9m was just my all time favorite kite.

I'll demo other kites and see what's up. I've tired the new Vegas but its handling isn't as crisp as the Torch. Anyone has tried the Dash or other freestyle kites?

-Lorenzo
So you haven't had a 2018 model right?
Is just the low end disappointed you or the overall feel?
L.

Kehler
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SYDVESTPYNTEN
Favorite Beaches: Strandparken
Style: TT
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Kehler » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:05 pm

So bad low end, good High end, the Wind range is the same? It “just” Needs more power, meaning you need to up in size? I like Big kites to go unhooked.

LorenzoS
Rare Poster
Style: Big Air/Wakestyle
Gear: 12-10-8 Naish Torch 2016

Postby LorenzoS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:15 am

I've not tried the 2018 model but the design doesn't seem to have changed unfortunately. The overall feel hasn't changed much but when ridden with the 5th line extended the kite's bar pressure increases and changes the handling of the kite to some extend. It's a shame because the quad-tex does increase overall responsiveness.

-Lorenzo
[/quote]

L.
[/quote]

mago
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius - Cape Town
Style: Wakestyle - wave
Gear: Naish - Brunotti

Postby mago » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:52 pm

tautologies wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:01 pm
mago wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:41 pm
Kehler wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:56 pm
Hi I have tried 10cm on the 2017 10 meter, and it is a totaly different Kite in a good Way. Thanks
great. that's about right. maybe even a lil more.check that when flying at 12 (without pulling the bar), the 5th does not stay pulled but has some slack. :bye:
So it sounds like there is something with the 5th that is a bit off? Is it that one bar or for all bars? It would certainly explain a lot.

a.
all bars have a 5th line too short. kites flies but is not performing as should be. once the 5th is set correctly, is the best Torch ever.
you just need to exted 14/13cm on the 14m and less for the other sizes.

mago
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius - Cape Town
Style: Wakestyle - wave
Gear: Naish - Brunotti

Postby mago » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:53 pm

LorenzoS wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:15 am
I've not tried the 2018 model but the design doesn't seem to have changed unfortunately. The overall feel hasn't changed much but when ridden with the 5th line extended the kite's bar pressure increases and changes the handling of the kite to some extend. It's a shame because the quad-tex does increase overall responsiveness.

-Lorenzo
L.
[/quote]
[/quote]
\with the right set up, the bar has way less pressure especially in passes. you shall check the 5th line settings.

Mike27
Frequent Poster
Gear: naish

Postby Mike27 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:03 pm

LorenzoS wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:41 pm

-Lorenzo
I am looking for another brand of kite like you but for differents reasons. I have 4 2015 Torch, and i love their flying qualities.....But these kites are pieces of shit, and Naish and their distributors are absolutely crapy when you have to deal with them for warranty claims ! totally dishonest (to be polite). If i had some time to lose maybe a will go to court against them.

I didn't like a lot the handling of vegas like you.....maybe airush razor ? Or switch legacy ?

duncan1981
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Bay Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Cruden Bay
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone C4

Postby duncan1981 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:29 pm

Ditto mike27!
There are better products out there you just need to try all the brands.

Does anyone bother with that ESP crap? Is there any point if the kite has no balls anyway?

Kehler
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SYDVESTPYNTEN
Favorite Beaches: Strandparken
Style: TT
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Kehler » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:51 am

Have I misunderstood something, but is it not just about sailing a size larger than the previous torch? When there is wind enough, it sits nicely like the previous torch, and IMO with more slack. Then throw the ESP bridles over the back.

Return to “Kitesurfing”