Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 2011
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

below the bar trim

Postby tmbt » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi guys,
as subject says i've a question about below the bar depower trim.

My bar is a slingshot 2013 who has depower trim below the bar.
Yestarday i started a session using a 12m kite but after 20 minutes i was hit by some very gusty wind and my 12m kite was reaaally too much. I tried to depower it using the trim but i wasn't able to.
The slingshot instruction says that while you pull the trim handle you should push the bar as if you want to depower it. Doing this you'll be able to pull the trim.
My problem yesterday was that i was completely out of control of the kite.. The bar was totally depower already and i wasn't able to pull the depower handle... i was getting speed and unable to go upwind because the kite was pulling too much ...

The best thing i was able to do was to jump down the board, body drag near the beach and as soon as i was near enough pull the safety and land the kite on the beach.

I continued the session using a 7m kite just to give you an idea ..
My question is : having an over the bar depower trim would have changed the situation ?

I understand that in that condition even the depower trim would know be enough to control the situation but i didn't like the fact that my trim handle is useless if i cannot depower the bar pushing it far from me.

Thanks
Mattia

P.S. Which bar with depower trim over the bar would you suggest me ?

async3
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Calima Lake, Colombia
Gear: Slingshot Fuel 2009 9m
Slingshot RPM 2012 8m
Cogua Custom Board
GoPro Hero 3
Brand Affiliation: TheKitesurfNinja.com

Re: below the bar trim

Postby async3 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi Mattia!

I understand your situation, as I have a Slingshot bar 2009, which comes with the depower below the bar also. I decided to change the original depower system to above the bar for the same reason, sometimes it got stuck and it wasn't easy to depower. Also, the original system causes the rope to deteriorate a lot faster.

In conclusion, I would look into the possibility of changing the depower system altogether.

Cheers!

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot

Postby bri7 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:37 pm

You can only trim the slingy bar in so much, once it's in about 12 or so inches it doesn't go any further. If you're going down from a 12 to a 7m in 10 minutes then it's not unusual to be completely overpowered on the 12. I've had similar situations on my 12M RPM, the things pulls like a truck. :-)

new depower ropes are about $20, there's a tutorial online on how to switch it out

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Change The trim. ..below the bar was a past mistake...nobody will do it again...its useless and dangerous

we
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Huguenot, Atlantic Beach Jax
Favorite Beaches: Vieux Fort, St. Lucia

Postby we » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:11 pm

kiterocky wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:47 pm
Change The trim. ..below the bar was a past mistake...nobody will do it again...its useless and dangerous
Why do you say that? I think they are far superior to above the bar trims. Main reason is you get twice the "depower". I've kited with them for years and have had no problems.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:24 pm

we wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:11 pm
kiterocky wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:47 pm
Why do you say that? I think they are far superior to above the bar trims. Main reason is you get twice the "depower". I've kited with them for years and have had no problems.
:thumb: Love below the bar trim. Really like the new Naish design with the BTB trim and swivel. Hope Slingshot does something similar.

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly

Postby seaplus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:38 pm

I also use Naish's BTB trim and agree it is very hard to pull the trim rope when the kite is powered. Yet I've found the easiest way to trim the kite
is during turns..that slight bit of downwind puts a small window of slack in the line to pull the rope.

Tim

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:00 pm

In 7m weather any 12m is going to fly like a bag of shit and be a complete bastard to get back to the beach in one piece,

bazzamac
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2020 Slingshot Rally GT 12m
2017 Slingshot Turbine 17m
2017 Slingshot Turbine 19m
2016 Slingshot Rally 8m, 10m & 14m
2020 Crazyfly Raptor LTD 143x43
2019 Liquid Force Libre 160x60
2019 Slingshot Alien Air 4'8"
2020 Slingshot F Kite Foil
2017 Brokite 138x43 Custom Carbon Hybrid
2017 Liquid Force Overdrive 148x45
2015 Shinn King Gee 150x50
2015 Slingshot Dialer 5' 10"

Postby bazzamac » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 pm

I've got both Slingshot bars, above the bar and a below the bar trim, both work just great. The above the bar I use on my smaller kites and the below the bar on my larger kites as I can get more trim on it. Both function pretty much the same in that your better off being de-powered to trim the kite. Sounds like you just got super over powered and a bit of trim might not have helped you out that much. Definitely done the right thing in body dragging in and pulling the safety. Most of us have been in similar situations.

bc-sf
Medium Poster
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas

Postby bc-sf » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:31 pm

Go downwind to take some tension off. If you're so overpowered that you can't hold an edge, sit down and put the kite to the water at the edge of the window. If you still can't pull the trim then yeah, problems.
My issue with above the bar trim is that I can't easily reach it, or it's gotten wrapped around the lines. It's all well and fun to show off how easy any system is when you're in light winds. Rarely do you see safety video demonstrations in 30+ winds.

Return to “Kitesurfing”