Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

choosing twin tip size you give more importance to your weight or how much you are overpowered or underpowered?

Forum for kitesurfers
Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

choosing twin tip size you give more importance to your weight or how much you are overpowered or underpowered?

Postby Archer77 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:01 pm

hey all!

I mean choosing twin tip size you considered primarily your weight or the power condition in which you will use them?
Last edited by Archer77 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: choosing twin tip size you give more importance to your weight or how much you are overpowered or underpowered?

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Neither. The primary question you need to ask is what is you riding style? choose a board to suit that style. Then what features do you want? what water conditions do you have? what wind conditions do you have?
Once you assemble these questions you can then begin to consider what type of board you want.

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Re: choosing twin tip size you give more importance to your weight or how much you are overpowered or underpowered?

Postby Archer77 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:34 pm

plummet wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm
Neither. The primary question you need to ask is what is you riding style? choose a board to suit that style. Then what features do you want? what water conditions do you have? what wind conditions do you have?
Once you assemble these questions you can then begin to consider what type of board you want.
hi plummet, I mean sure, but speaking only about the size for freeriding, probably an expert would give priority to the conditions powered/under, and the beginner too the weight

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: choosing twin tip SIZE you give more importance to your weight or how much you are overpowered or underpowered?

Postby edt » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:41 pm

What plummet said. Stiffness, soft, light, heavy, rocker, surfy, pop, lightwind, hand landings, soft landings, price, all of those attributes require sacrifices in one direction or another. I personally think the North Jaime is the best board out there. Others swear by the Shinn Monk or Bronq that's more of a European board, I never demo-ed one of those. If you don't know what kind of style you have, then you can't figure out which kind of board you need to ride. I will ride my Jaime from 12 knots up to 40 knots. Below 12 knots I'm on the hyrdofoil. If there are decent waves, I will sometimes switch to a surfboard. I don't think you want 2 different twintips for different conditions any more. It used to be you had one twintip for light wind one for big wind, but now when there's light wind it's time to break out the hydrofoil and ride the magic carpet. The days where you had a quiver of multiple twintips for different conditions I think are gone now that we have access to cheap hydrofoils. A modern quiver is 3 boards: twintip, surfboard and hydrofoil.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: choosing twin tip SIZE you give more importance to your weight or how much you are overpowered or underpowered?

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:43 pm

You are asking how a watch works. Most of your responses are going to simply be "how to tell time".

And here is my explanation of how to tell time.

If the wind is very steady, use a smaller board with an overpowered kite.

If the wind is gusty/shifty/updrafty, use a smaller kite with a bigger board.

Your conditions dictate. Be safe and remember even the ocean can have big gusts so don't go too overpowered with a kite, even in steady winds.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:46 pm

No. Size is a function of the board specifications. You cant purchase on size Or weight alone. You need to consider the style and type of board. The features than you want.

Do you have choppy or flat water? do you like riding in waves? to you want upwind performance? do you want smooth through chop? do you want nice carving? do you want a sharp load and pop? do you want max jump height?
All these questions lead you to the type of board you should buy. As an example a stiff, low rocker board with rectangular outline will give you max upwind, max load and pop but will be terrible in waves and chop and will ne very harsh on landings. A high rockered ellipse shaped board will carve better, be smoother in chop and ride waves well, it wont pop as well, it will harne worse upwind but it will have smooth landings,,,,,,,,

We haven't even discussed size or weight yet!

Ask the style/condition questions first. Then you can answer the board size and weight questions once you have a design in mind.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:04 pm

And this is going to sounds stupid but
Also the size of your feet has to match the width of the board to some degree
You need to have your heels and toes the right distance from the edges to make the board work the way it was designed

Let the foot size jokes begin...

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 pm

Board is by weight. Kite boarders have this really screwed up in the thought process. The only way I would recommend a smaller board vs your weight is if you like doing board offs. In this instance your probably riding a larger kite for longer hang time and it's easier to toss the board around. A lot of people get boards that are too small and have to struggle with lighter wind. I ride a 143 and it does not matter if the wind is cranking or light but that is the size for my weight.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:32 pm

also like thejoe's answer.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jbrook » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:44 pm

I find it better to have 2 twin tip`s one for lighter wind and one for when nuking, too hard to find the right ride for all wind ranges in just one tt.

Return to “Kitesurfing”