Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surpassing Plateaus: Your First Lessons and Riding Upwind

Forum for kitesurfers
El_Norte_Adventures
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island
Style: Hydrofoil and directionals
Gear: LP Foil with low aspect wing, Ocean Rodeo Jester, OR Prodigys and Flite
Brand Affiliation: elnorteadventures.com, Ocean Rodeo, LP Foils, Slingshot, Ride Engine, Xcel
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Surpassing Plateaus: Your First Lessons and Riding Upwind

Postby El_Norte_Adventures » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Had a first crack at blogging and wrote two long winded posts on learning to kitesurf and going upwind. The posts detail reasons why kitesurfers often plateau and provides insight into what both riders and instructors can do to mitigate this.

If you have time to read I would love to get feedback from riders and instructors:

http://www.elnorteadventures.com/blog/

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surpassing Plateaus: Your First Lessons and Riding Upwind

Postby jeromeL » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:01 pm

El_Norte_Adventures wrote: Had a first crack at blogging and wrote two long winded posts on learning to kitesurf and going upwind. The posts detail reasons why kitesurfers often plateau and provides insight into what both riders and instructors can do to mitigate this.

If you have time to read I would love to get feedback from riders and instructors:

http://www.elnorteadventures.com/blog/
Thanks for this, I am a rider, not instructor except for casually teaching wife lol.
I went upwind pretty fast, i remember that once you learn to lean back in harness it gets quite easy.
I remember asking my instructor how to slow down first time I experience picking up speed on gusts it was quite hard to slow down, pushing back feet didn't do anything until I learned to leaned back in harness.
Once you can control "breaking" by edging it's pretty easy to find the balance point to go upwind (not too far but enough).
Good steady condition, right board and kite makes it easier too. a few knots can be key.

I also learned on smallish kite 10m ...

I think your advice of telling student to progressively edge further upwind until they come to a spot is basically same thing as learning to slow down and come to a stop. Once you can do that with enough wind then it's quite easy to go upwind.

Learning board control to edge is hard until they learn to lean in harness a bit, finding balance point to lean in harness requires a bit of muscle memory on bar and feet... So I guess some exercise to develop that muscle memory would be good and smaller kite is not bad idea!

El_Norte_Adventures
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island
Style: Hydrofoil and directionals
Gear: LP Foil with low aspect wing, Ocean Rodeo Jester, OR Prodigys and Flite
Brand Affiliation: elnorteadventures.com, Ocean Rodeo, LP Foils, Slingshot, Ride Engine, Xcel
Been thanked: 0

Re: Surpassing Plateaus: Your First Lessons and Riding Upwind

Postby El_Norte_Adventures » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:03 pm

If you have taught your wife and are still married you are definitely an expert!

Good point in leaning back into the harness and edge control. I often have students hook in to the bar and tether off the centre lines so they can get used to the proper riding position and moving the control bar while leaning back into the harness. I’ll take some pictures of this over the summer and add them in.

Return to “Kitesurfing”