Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Oyster foot protection

Postby tautologies » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:00 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 pm

I saw that story come up today (which is bullsh*t worldnews clickbait not worth your time) and the opening picture cracked me up.
Someone searched the internet until they found a picture with a vag looking clam. :lol:
LOL. Yeah I figured, but I thought it was funny. Imagine what goes through the mind of someone who invents shit like that.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:05 am

From 2016, see below. They have saved me from even bad cuts since that time. They don't last forever and will wear eventually. Still, for a near barefoot feeling with some major slice protection the FYF socks offer some strong advantages.
RickI wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:10 pm
I am a big fan of the Dyneema FYF socks. I have been spared serious laceration at least three times with them. Once I fell off an SUP board 1 1/2 ft. with my full weight on to some oyster shells sticking straight up. The socks weren't cut much less myself. I understand oysters can cut through leather boots? I have been spared cuts kiting a few times in rocks while wearing them. Once I climbed out of a bad situation on a vertical rock face in waves without cuts on my feet, hands weren't so fortunate. Just last weekend we were taking the family out paddling and I put the socks on as an after thought. I ended up carrying both boards through some oysters to place them on land, along with two kids. I wouldn't have been able to do that without some bad cuts with bare feet and even some neoprene booties. They lack the padding of shoes (same with bare feet), but they are highly cut resistant. Just saw your comment, they aren't suggested for use below 60 F.

I just came across a Daily Mail article on them at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... steel.html
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2392338

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:03 pm

RickI wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:05 am
...They have saved me from even bad cuts since that time. They don't last forever and will wear eventually. Still, for a near barefoot feeling with some major slice protection the FYF socks offer some strong advantages...
Rick how are they with regard to putting on and off, at the beach? Do you have issues with either excessive sand getting inside them while walking in shore break, or even minimal sand that cause abrasion issues?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Getting your toes into new socks can be slow but it speeds up with use. Wetting them down first helps. I put them on in the car or on paving to avoid sand inside them. I haven't had trouble with excess sand getting into them once on however. I don't recall having sand abrasion problems with them. They won't stop all sea urchin spines but seem to stop some of them. They go right through neoprene booties. You may need to take them off to remove spines trapped in the weave. They aren't perfect but they have saved me from several serious foot lacerations, some likely going to surgeries and more than once.
CaptainArgh wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:03 pm
RickI wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:05 am
...They have saved me from even bad cuts since that time. They don't last forever and will wear eventually. Still, for a near barefoot feeling with some major slice protection the FYF socks offer some strong advantages...
Rick how are they with regard to putting on and off, at the beach? Do you have issues with either excessive sand getting inside them while walking in shore break, or even minimal sand that cause abrasion issues?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:35 pm

If folks are interested in buying some Dyneema FYF protective socks, you can find them at https://www.getfyf.com

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:05 am

is there a competing product to swiss socks?

Return to “Kitesurfing”