Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What's the dumbest thing you have seen a newbie do?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Re: What's the dumbest thing you have seen a newbie do?

Postby Jzh_perth » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:14 pm

ThickAir wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:53 pm
BWD, ah...no! That method works fine on a wide open beach, but some launches are damn tight. You really think you should be telling guys who have kited for many years where they need to stand to launch a kite? You gotta be F-ing kidding me...
That is such a pet peeve of mine - kiters telling their launcher where to stand ? (Ie Why would they put themselves knowingly in the wrong spot if they are “experienced”? ).

I’ve got 8 seasons under my belt (and an instructor qualification) and am really strict about this. I will happily launch noobs all day if they are polite and acknowledge I am being helpful. When being asked to assist someone’s launch, I stand exactly where their kite is positioned on the beach, and don’t move an inch. If they ask me to move I shake my head, if they try and launch in a stupid position I just shake my head and point which way they need to move. If they won’t move, I just put their kite back on the sand and walk away. Our beaches are usually very open sand so it’s nothing more than attitude / laziness on their part.

I am a firm believer that it’s the pilots responsibility to launch from the correct angle. Arrogant pilots making girlfriends/ other kiters / members of the public walk up and down the beach is so not acceptable in my mind.

Same for landing. Bring the kite to the assistant, be courteous not an ass.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:26 pm

Jzh_perth wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:14 pm
When being asked to assist someone’s launch, I stand exactly where their kite is positioned on the beach, and don’t move an inch. If they ask me to move I shake my head, if they try and launch in a stupid position I just shake my head and point which way they need to move. If they won’t move, I just put their kite back on the sand and walk away.
Well, that's just you being an ass. On many beaches there's only one hole in the trees for the kiter to stand in or the beach is too narrow to rig up at a proper angle and the only option is for the launcher to move. Guess you're just lucky to have a beach wide enough for you to be a dick.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:22 pm

That's some attitude there Jsh, does it come with being a Flysurfer dealer?

Launched about seven kites today at Dolphin beach in Cape Town, which is wide open, and moved around each time to make it easier for the launchee. Sometimes to avoid dried kelp from getting caught in the lines.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:47 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:22 pm
That's some attitude there Jsh, does it come with being a Flysurfer dealer?
He has got 8 :o seasons under his belt. Give the guy a break and show some :clap: :clap: respect.. He must be right after 8 seasons of experience...

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best
Has thanked: 0

Postby bjw » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:50 am

I had this in Maui. I launched a guy, he was standing at a bad angle, I tried to tell him to move up, (I was at the edge of the water and couldn't move), he got frustrated with me instructing him and told me to send it, so I did... The kite rolled back in mess (as expected), he swore at me and told me I was a look and didn't know how to kite..

Seawolf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wolfbeach
Gear: Elements 5

Postby Seawolf » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:05 pm

Standing on the beach, or internet forums complaining about dumb things newbies do...
Instead of helping or giving advice they being a dick about it

Seawolf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wolfbeach
Gear: Elements 5

Postby Seawolf » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:21 pm

Jzh_perth wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:14 pm
ThickAir wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:53 pm
BWD, ah...no! That method works fine on a wide open beach, but some launches are damn tight. You really think you should be telling guys who have kited for many years where they need to stand to launch a kite? You gotta be F-ing kidding me...
When being asked to assist someone’s launch, I stand exactly where their kite is positioned on the beach, and don’t move an inch.

Nice attitude! God forbid you have to move a few inches to help a fellow kite brother or sister out...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:39 pm

The pilot needs to move if there is enough space.
Don't expect that the HELPER is doing his job. He is helping! And his job is to secure the kite.
The pilot is responsible for the correct kite position.

Much easier for the pilot to move around than the helper.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:55 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:39 pm
The pilot needs to move if there is enough space.

Much easier for the pilot to move around than the helper.
Agree with the first line on open spacious spots.
The second line... I would say it really depends on the constraints of the kitespot.

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80
Local Beach: La Saline - Reunion Island
Favorite Beaches: La Prairie - Mauritius
Tarifa
Style: Freeride - Freestyle - Strapless - Foil
Gear: 2017 Naish Dash, 2019 Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Soul 12m
NHP SplitBoard Carbon(2016) , 50/Fifty
Nobile Infinity Split Foil 5'2
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:58 pm

My 2 cents:
as a helper, on a quite narrow launching area, the angle was not good, and so proceed to go upwind.
Got the thumbs up, and so let go off the kite, which does not go up, but down, because of a tangle in the bridle.
OK, should have checked that, though I believe it is still the responsability of the pilot to check his lines before signaling the launch.
Problem is: kite was on "safe" area of sand, and I went over a rocky area to get a better angle (as I was asked), so the kite ended up with a rip in its spi (and really lucky it was not on the leading edge).
So maybe another reason for the launcher not to move: the kite was obviously resting on a safe patch, so keep it there...
I have really no problem in moving a kite around to help others, but since then, I really prefer that the pilot moves, not the helper.

Return to “Kitesurfing”