Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Extreme Kitesurf Accidents

Postby RickI » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:37 am

I looked into this. Going from memory, there was a military training operation underway over several days. Military helicopters were flying all over. In this case a larger chopper was flying fairly low and the kiter was on the beach with his kite up. Reading between the lines, I suspect his kite was caught by the turbulent outflow from the powerful downdraft and badly yarded. His kite wasn't sucked into the blades nor did he seem to come very close to it but he was hurt.
SENDIT! wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:49 pm
PusherII wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:04 pm
https://www.ilmessaggero.it/roma/cronac ... 14859.html

this happenes like 2 weeks ago at mu home spot. An army elicopter flew too low and it sucked a kite for like 20-25 m
lucky to be alive, now kiter is better, but wtf!!!
My Italian is not nearly as passable as it was 25 years ago, so I had to rely on the auto translate function in google chrome. I'm pretty sure something is being lost in translation... ;)

"Kitesurfer sucked by a "pirate" military helicopter under his wife's eyes: it's serious"

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Extreme Kitesurf Accidents

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:40 am

This reminded me of a "near miss" with a powered paraglider several years ago. He was coming up behind me about 15' off the water just as I was about to make a transition. I could not hear his engine as it was idling. Must have swooped down unpowered. Fortunately I saw him out of the corner of my eye. If I had made the transition I would have hit him. I think he would have gotten the worst of it with the weight of the engine strapped to his back. He left the area right after that. I returned to the beach to find the police and fire rescue there. Someone had called them in anticipation of an accident as he and two other paragliders were buzzing kiters and people on the beach. Just goes to show that we have to be alert to anything in the air, on the water or in the water.

Return to “Kitesurfing”