Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Waist and seat harness in the same session?

Forum for kitesurfers
gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Waist and seat harness in the same session?

Postby gator1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:10 am

I find the waist harness good for freestyle but prefer a seat harness for overpowered conditions and airtime.

The guy at the kiteshop told be to take both with me down to the beach and swap them during the session. Does anyone do this as well?

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Waist and seat harness in the same session?

Postby Wind Runner » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:45 am

Yes. I'm not good enough to use the word "style" to describe my riding (i.e. freestyle), but I do go back and forth between the two. I do it mostly to try and see which one I like better with the intention of sticking with just one, but in the end there are things I like about both. Sometimes I'll ride just one for the entire session, but eventually switch back and forth again. The last time I did that I used the seat harness after a day with the waist harness because my core muscles were worn out. The seat harness just requires less effort to use IMHO, and is less hassle (doesn't ride up or twist around when riding toe side).

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:25 pm

gator1 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:10 am
I find the waist harness good for freestyle but prefer a seat harness for overpowered conditions and airtime.
I have a buddy that has the same opinion and used to use both. Now he uses Mystic's hybrid harness. He's also really liking the seat option when riding his hydrofoil.
https://www.mysticboarding.com/products ... lor_000000

I've been having some slippage issues lately with my waist harness when powered or on some tricks and have considered trying Mystic's hybrid harness. I might instead try Mystic's Strappies and see how they perform since I like my current waist harness.
https://www.mysticboarding.com/products ... lor_000000

Ocean Rodeo's Session harness is another option for an all-in-one design.
https://oceanrodeo.com/product/session3/

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:05 pm

Yep, if I've not kited in a while, then go on a kite trip, I may take both harnesses as my abs will ache with just a waist harness.(I know I should keep in shape, do exercise blah, blah, I'm fat and lazy!)
Switching it around really helps.
Doing what feels good helps.

Seat is also good for, if its howling and flat!

IBaKiteboarder wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:45 am
Yes. I'm not good enough to use the word "style" to describe my riding (i.e. freestyle), but I do go back and forth between the two. I do it mostly to try and see which one I like better with the intention of sticking with just one, but in the end there are things I like about both. Sometimes I'll ride just one for the entire session, but eventually switch back and forth again. The last time I did that I used the seat harness after a day with the waist harness because my core muscles were worn out. The seat harness just requires less effort to use IMHO, and is less hassle (doesn't ride up or twist around when riding toe side).

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Yeah I use both and sometimes in the same session.
Much prefer waist harness for Wave riding and the seat for loops and old school.
Sometimes I will old school in a waste too, it does work different muscles.

I am also of the opinion that shifting the stress on the body is good to avoid injuries. ( I do have a broken rib cartilage from a loop gone wrong with a waist harness)

All in all, whatever keeps me riding :)

Ced

Return to “Kitesurfing”