Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Another casualty in Italy

Forum for kitesurfers
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Another casualty in Italy

Postby pmaggie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:51 pm

More sad news today. For what I know an italian kiter Mario was his name, died today near Cattolica hitting the harbour rocks in very strong wind. As soon as I have more infos I will keep you informed. Condolences to his family and friends.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Re: Another casualty in Italy

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:12 am

So sad to hear.

As I posted in a thread about being "lofted horizontally". we were kiting in strong wind yesterday, but without any obstacles to run into. This sort of story reminds me of the at least two deaths of kitesurfers that happened on the rocks at the Milnerton Lagoon in Cape Town, which is a very narrow area and ever since then I've avoided kiting there and worry when I see young hotshots doing tricks there on the strong and gusty NW winds we get there in the winter.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:19 am

Sorry to hear and condolences to his family.

I've started thinking if tragic accidents are indirectly because of certain jump game with measuring device. I mean ppl go out in crazy weather with crazy big kites on crazy locations.

I don't know about this tragic case but I'm mentioning it for awareness and decision making whether to go out "in a very strong wind" with places next to obstacles.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:58 am

I am sorry to hear it pmaggie and wish his family and friends strength in getting through this harsh time.

Please do share what other information you learn about this terrible accident. I did some rapid searching in Italian but was unable to come up with anything which is unusual.

Thanks and take care

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:10 am

What I found on the web in Italian says that he was 63 years old, expert kitesurfer, lofted while returning to shore and collided against the breakwater wall
There's a video of the location here:https://www.newsrimini.it/2018/10/incid ... kite-surf/

Condolences to the victim's family and a reminder to wear a helmet! It's no guarantee but increases your chances of survival.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13

Postby pmaggie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:57 am

https://www.chiamamicitta.it/cattolica- ... -kitesurf/

Exactly Sarc. It seems once he was in the water eh understood he was overpowered and he tried to reach the shore but he was lofted.
Very sad.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:52 am

This is a Darwin Award, Italy is currently being devastated by storms, schools are closed, a port has been devastated, trees are falling, flooding a everywhere.

You just don’t go out in these conditions.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:59 am

My condolences to family and friends.
Sad to hear about this.

I wonder about those loftings...it must be a combination of lofting and steering. Because just lofting is controllable...don’t you do it too jumpingboknthe beach sometimes to test the power? But, if you then get into panic, and steer the kite you get accelerated with forward speed and then loose control and hit an obstacle or crash hard on land.

That’s why I always say, avoid strong winds...it happens so fast. 30+ is simply dangerous.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pmaggie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:15 am

vannibombonato wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:52 am
This is a Darwin Award, Italy is currently being devastated by storms, schools are closed, a port has been devastated, trees are falling, flooding a everywhere.

You just don’t go out in these conditions.

I agree and I don't agree. I agree here in my office with the sad news in my mind and the reasonableness of a working day. I don't know if I agree when I'm on the beach. It's stupid, I know, and it kills but I think sometimes the non-reasonable side is part of the game, especially in higly adrenalinic sports. But it repeat, it kills.

Toby: my informations are that you're probably right, it seems that Mario steered his kite over the rock builder (wave breakers) that are placed a few hundred meters from the shore.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:43 pm

I turn 63 in two months, that's especially sad, he obviously was active and had a lot to live for. In circumstances like that the obvious thing is to release the kite to leash, but I can imagine the thought process of "I've got this under control, just have to get back", and then a particularly strong gust rips you up, you lose control of the kite, and it all happens very quickly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”