Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

woo2 vs. Woo3 and why I've recommended upgrading for higher jumps

Forum for kitesurfers
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: woo2 vs. Woo3 and why I've recommended upgrading for higher jumps

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:03 pm

joriws wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:20 am
Kitemenn wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:25 am
To make a point, there is NO better device atm to compare your jumping results atm! It might not be the holy grail but I think many of us enjoy boosting it an trying to take their skills to the next level! Just enjoy it
Why there is no better device? PIQ does "boosting and trick scoring" at the same time AFAIK. Woo does only one of those (either boost or trick). Developing your own skill your own relative performance is important and if PIQ is consistent enough between jumps and sessions it does exactly the same as woo - how *I* am progressing with my skill. Problem is that on Woo3 we know that it reports set's highest "jump" when on video there is no jump. Then you upload your leaderboard to Woo site and it was not even a jump.

Following test has very limited jumps to make a conclusion. But PIQ looks similar to Woo on results.
https://www.wetestkites.com/2016/07/31/ ... me-part-1/
I'd say that the main advantage of PIQ based on your criteria above is that you can see a live display of recorded height which flick on after a jump is recorded. Possibly gives you a better idea of whether a jump was recorded spuriously?

In reality as a PIQ user I'd say they are roughly equivalent as devices. I'm more likely to think that a jump height looks a little lower than I expected than the reverse but occasionally I will look down and think that the number looks higher than I expected.

Technology wise - I thought Xensr was onto a winner with the 3d Air. The 3d tracking of the board was really good (jumps even had an 'inverted' flag if you kicked the board above your head) and the GPS trace was good as you could tie up where you jumped from memory with all the jumps on the map in the same area. Its a shame they couldn't get the quality control right as it was a good ambitious attempt. I can't see them getting market traction in the future though as I think too many people have been burned by the quality. I know when I bought mine and did a review on the forum, a few people were wishing me good luck as previous products they had released hadn't proven reliable.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:21 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:03 pm
joriws wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:20 am
Kitemenn wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:25 am
To make a point, there is NO better device atm to compare your jumping results atm! It might not be the holy grail but I think many of us enjoy boosting it an trying to take their skills to the next level! Just enjoy it
Why there is no better device? PIQ does "boosting and trick scoring" at the same time AFAIK. Woo does only one of those (either boost or trick). Developing your own skill your own relative performance is important and if PIQ is consistent enough between jumps and sessions it does exactly the same as woo - how *I* am progressing with my skill. Problem is that on Woo3 we know that it reports set's highest "jump" when on video there is no jump. Then you upload your leaderboard to Woo site and it was not even a jump.

Following test has very limited jumps to make a conclusion. But PIQ looks similar to Woo on results.
https://www.wetestkites.com/2016/07/31/ ... me-part-1/
I'd say that the main advantage of PIQ based on your criteria above is that you can see a live display of recorded height which flick on after a jump is recorded. Possibly gives you a better idea of whether a jump was recorded spuriously?

In reality as a PIQ user I'd say they are roughly equivalent as devices. I'm more likely to think that a jump height looks a little lower than I expected than the reverse but occasionally I will look down and think that the number looks higher than I expected.

Technology wise - I thought Xensr was onto a winner with the 3d Air. The 3d tracking of the board was really good (jumps even had an 'inverted' flag if you kicked the board above your head) and the GPS trace was good as you could tie up where you jumped from memory with all the jumps on the map in the same area. Its a shame they couldn't get the quality control right as it was a good ambitious attempt. I can't see them getting market traction in the future though as I think too many people have been burned by the quality. I know when I bought mine and did a review on the forum, a few people were wishing me good luck as previous products they had released hadn't proven reliable.
I once read that it is almost impossible for the Piq to read that small display after a jump, is that right?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:20 am

It depends on the conditions. In the usually overcast conditions in the UK its easily readable. In a sunny spot I found I needed to move my body position to generate a little bit of shade over the sensor to read it easily. Its plenty big enough for clarity. Its the reflection/refraction of the sunlight on the case that makes the difference to how easy it is to read.

I haven't tried the woo watch app but the old Xensr one worked well. But then thats a load of extra custom hardware you need. I was happy enough to use my sony SW3 in the water but I ended up building a modification to disable the touchscreen so that the water splashes didn't close the app whilst I was riding. You will probably have this problem with a lot of touchscreen watches. With that version of Android Wear you could lock the screen but doing that put it into energy saving mode and turned off the back light so you still ended up with a screen that was difficult to read in sunlight.

I fancy a go with the Garmin watch app one day to see how that goes. I have a friend with the right hardware but he doesn't make it down this way often so we are still waiting to get a good test with it.

At the end of the day nothing is perfect. I have stuck with PIQ on the basis that my social group uses it. I haven't seen problems with massive outliers and so far it has been reliable enough. I don't jump that high so a 5-10% error here and there isn't going to make that much difference to me in all reality.

andyjiggs
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast england
Favorite Beaches: south coast england
Style: freeride
Gear: naish

Postby andyjiggs » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:31 pm

Lost me as a customer when one version reads different to the latest..........marketing ploy.I like the idea but with all the inaccuracies who knows what anyone's jumping.
Big respect to anyone who's going out jumping and enjoying themselves.Don't get me wrong I like the idea,just no faith in the product.

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:55 pm

I once read that it is almost impossible for the Piq to read that small display after a jump, is that right?
I have one and yes it is hard to read but not impossible. Usually, if I jump high I stop after landing and press the button for a look. If it is only a medium jump I won't even look down.

I have a watch compatible with the woo 3 but don't have a woo. I would be interested to try it on the water as I feel that it would be easier to see but it will probably just be another distraction. The PIQ is a simple device with a simple screen layout it is a pity that they don't have the same user base as the woo for the leaderboards.

kiter4fun123
Medium Poster
Style: TT and hydrofoil in light wind
Gear: flysurfer, naish, nobile
Has thanked: 0

Postby kiter4fun123 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi,

Anybody knows how much difference in height between woo 1 and woo 3?

maffhieu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Les Aresquiers
Gear: North Dice 12m 2016
North Dice 9m 2017
North Dice 7m 2018
North Team Series 2015
Ride Engine Silver Elite 2017
WOO 1.0
WOO 3.0

Postby maffhieu » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:55 am

kiter4fun123 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 pm
Hi,

Hey,

I kited a few times with Woo 1 and Woo 3 (optimal placements on the board for both of them) and biggest difference i had was 0,5m higher on Woo 1 :lol:
I have to say, usually 0,1-0,2m appart from each other...

In conclusions, i get very similar results with both 8)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:04 am

maffhieu wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:55 am

Hey,

I kited a few times with Woo 1 and Woo 3 (optimal placements on the board for both of them) and biggest difference i had was 0,5m higher on Woo 1 :lol:

That sounds pretty good. I feel kind of bad now. I didn't mean anything about this whole thread. Woo seems like a fun gadget.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 am

maffhieu wrote:
kiter4fun123 wrote:
Hi,

Hey,

I got lots of 2 m differences, v3 recorded more jumps too, especially the higher ones.

maffhieu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Les Aresquiers
Gear: North Dice 12m 2016
North Dice 9m 2017
North Dice 7m 2018
North Team Series 2015
Ride Engine Silver Elite 2017
WOO 1.0
WOO 3.0

Postby maffhieu » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:28 pm

Faxie wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 am
maffhieu wrote:
kiter4fun123 wrote:
Hi,

Hey,

I got lots of 2 m differences, v3 recorded more jumps too, especially the higher ones.

Lucky you :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, how are they mounted ? placement is very important for consistency...

Return to “Kitesurfing”