Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Cymatic (Tomo MPH) in kiteconstruction?

Postby xray » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:15 pm

Looking for a new waveboard. The new Cymatic from FireWire looks a mighty interesting board to me, LFT is too week however. Great outline, straight enough for going upwind, nice round for turning. I’m wondering how to get a 5.2 in kiteconstruction

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Cymatic (Tomo MPH) in kiteconstruction?

Postby BWD » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Just buy one and have someone add additional glass, or diy. Expensive, I know...

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:31 pm

BWD wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:44 pm
Just buy one and have someone add additional glass, or diy. Expensive, I know...
Yes, I suppose that's the right way to do it. I am currently buying an LFT construction board, will add footstrap inserts and a layer of carbon on the top, should be strong an light.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:55 pm

I would go with Kevlar instead of Carbon. Yes, if you do it yourself, you should bury it under a layer of s-glass so sanding is possible. But carbon stiffens too much if you want to retain some of the flex characteristics of the original board. A board done either way will feel different. But the Kevlar makes a much tougher board. And if you intend to use the straps for most riding, weight really does not matter as much strapped as opposed to strapless (when you try to simulate prone surfing with a kite).

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:15 pm

or just use S glass, or use carbon laid on bias 45/45, etc...
but like he says, kevlar under glass on deck would probably be good, tough.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:31 am

In regards to Firewires: I would advise not use LFT or Rapid Fire technology for kite surfing (been there done that). The fin boxes did not hold for me, same for my friend. The kite-construction is very strong, but also pretty heavy(been there done that too). I've always used and prefer the FST stock surfboards with an extra 6 oz cloth added to the deck plus an additional 6 oz. patch for the front foot. I think s-cloth would be a bonus. The board is much lighter than the kite-construction and holds up fine. The bottom and fin boxes of the FST's don't need any additional reinforcement. I have never had any issues with the fin boxes or any welts on the bottom in the last 9 years of kiting with the FST's. My current quiver still consists of all modified FST stock surfboards. I'm lucky to live in San Diego where there's a plethora of used boards on Craigslist. Pretty bummed that Firewire doesn't use FST tech anymore. Hoping the new "Helium" tech is just as strong. If you do decide go with the LFT, let us know how it goes. I'm over 200 lbs, so it might be different for you.

RalfsB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Ozone, Naish, HQ4, Gin; Boards: Gong and Alpine foil, Machado Moonbeam, a bunch of boards that I shaped

Postby RalfsB » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:03 am

TommyDuotone wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:31 am
In regards to Firewires: I would advise not use LFT or Rapid Fire technology for kite surfing (been there done that). The fin boxes did not hold for me, same for my friend.
Right, but the problem is that some great boards come only in LFT. Thanks for advice about the fin boxes, will have to put reinforcements for them as well.

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best

Postby bjw » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:05 am

Don't you guys have local shapers?

Save yourself the pain and expense and just find a local shaper that will design you a board , more suitable for kiting, stronger and customised to your needs.

If they haven't made a kite board before tell them you where you need reinforcing and you can even choose how strong vs heavy you want the foam.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:27 am

bjw wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:05 am
local shapers
Got $3,000 spare? It's literally cheaper to get one custom made in Europe and shipped over :lol:

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Wait until the Cymatic will be available in the HE version as well. Very light and totally robust. Cannot take too long, I guess, until they launch it in HE.

Return to “Kitesurfing”