Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone Edge for beginners

Postby Matteo V » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:14 am

knyfe wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:42 am
.....low wind riding is all about board speed / apparent wind.
Yup, part of my whole thing against volume in a kitesurfboard. No need to utilize displacement to keep you up when you absolutely want to avoid slowing to a displacement speed at all cost.

knyfe wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:42 am
You still need to pussyloop them with a pop for me to have fun.
Can you explain the "pussyloop" thing?

alexglebov
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, CA, USA
3rd Ave, San Mateo, CA, USA
Favorite Beaches: Lake Nitinat, BC
La Ventana, MX
Style: Mowing the lawn
Gear: Slingshot Rally
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby alexglebov » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:54 am

Slappysan wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:20 pm
Sounds like you are in the San Diego area, steady 8-9 knots daily thermals with nice ground swell waves.

I would stick with the big kite and Nugget, they will serve you well once you get past the learning stage. Learning in light wind is much harder though, but you make do with what you've got.

Do not go with a 19 Edge, instead get a light weight 17m kite like LF Solo or Airush Ultra.

Also you might consider learning on a mountain board if there are any good land kiting spots in your area. You would need a smaller ram air kite for that though but it's probably your fastest way to learn.
I agree with land boarding suggestion - you will learn the kite control much faster. I am 100 kg and my biggest kite is 12m Rally, I can ride it on a twintip in above 13kts. You can also ride a Spleene Monster Door in 11kts on a 12m kite.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:47 am

Kite speed should match board speed. The big Edge would better match a spleene door ridden fast. If the kite flies faster than the board it will constantly find the edge of the window and lose power. So a heavy beginner on a chubby surfboard is going to go slow. You need a big grunty kite that sits deep and keeps pulling, is easy to relaunch and is light so it stays in the air better. Many good kites mentioned. I like the one struts a lot but beware, some are much heavier than others. I would choose the Ultra.

The mountain board will give you more kite time than anything else and works fine with your 14.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:51 am

jakemoore wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:47 am
Kite speed should match board speed. The big Edge would better match a spleene door ridden fast. If the kite flies faster than the board it will constantly find the edge of the window and lose power. So a heavy beginner on a chubby surfboard is going to go slow. You need a big grunty kite that sits deep and keeps pulling, is easy to relaunch and is light so it stays in the air better. Many good kites mentioned. I like the one struts a lot but beware, some are much heavier than others. I would choose the Ultra.

Lets tailor this to the skill level of the OP???? But you are giving good advice for an advanced kiter. Plus, who you callin "chubby"? Me and Kamikuza gonna have some words with you.

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Azoele from what I have read all good advise have given to you, just maybe consider also:

Edge have very narrow wind range and on low wind can be uncomfortable and risky as beginner

as beginner normally wind is considered around a precise number, but this is not true wind have gust and lulls, and in gusty plate can change about 10 knots up and down

the Zephyr on the other side have very big wind range, I have one and can go from 12 to 22 knots, very comfortable and stable

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 am

Archer77 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:49 pm
Azoele from what I have read all good advise have given to you, just maybe consider also:

Edge have very narrow wind range and on low wind can be uncomfortable and risky as beginner

as beginner normally wind is considered around a precise number, but this is not true wind have gust and lulls, and in gusty plate can change about 10 knots up and down

the Zephyr on the other side have very big wind range, I have one and can go from 12 to 22 knots, very comfortable and stable
I have to disagree, the Edge has a huge windrange as well as the Zephyr, unless you are talking only about Edge 15m-17m-19m which i agree does not have such a large windrange, and many of us have not recommended for him.

Cheers!

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:39 am

I had the Zephir as low wind kite and that thing would not even fly better than my 12yo Nemesis 16 C kite !?!? Not worth the money at all. Especially the larger low wind sizes.

Certainly don’t have an issue with my edge 17 but I also have a 5th line and like to ride it powered with a 130 board. Kind of like Toby rides his kites.

Oh and pussy loops are loops for pussies like me where you loop the kite but don’t get spanked if you mess it up. I am just too old for that ;-)

G

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:02 am

Andres_Santacruz wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 am
Archer77 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:49 pm

I have to disagree, the Edge has a huge windrange as well as the Zephyr, unless you are talking only about Edge 15m-17m-19m which i agree does not have such a large windrange, and many of us have not recommended for him.

Cheers!
Yes Andreas I was talking about last 2 bigger size(17 and 19m), should have specified...

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:24 am

My buddy was 110-120kg mostly on a TT. Think board offs and huge jumps when windy.

There is no board he couldn’t break or LE he couldn’t bend. The really thick LE is your friend, plus the loaded 5th line. He was on Dyno back in the days. 20m coz he loved to be powered, and thats what you need. Power.

Edge is to fragile for you. Zap? Pass...
Get that loaded 5th line, youll not regret.

Toby is 90tish kegs and rides what? 18m with 126cm board. Every time, all the time. No problem handling that power when u 100kg.

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.

Postby hudstur » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Ozone Chrono V3 15m ULTRALIGHT, new, for $2,499 shipped. Not good for my launch areas.

Return to “Kitesurfing”