Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Harness with Sliding spreader bar

Postby skideeppow » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:37 pm

Onda wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 am
Best I´ve ever experienced is:
Carbon spreader bar (rideengine 2016 model) with rope plus a Ronstan Orbit 20 block connected to a Cabrinha Fireball Bar´s QR (without the original Fireball piece).
Totally friction-less, super-smooth movement with minimal distance between the rope and the quick release. You don´t even notice that something is sliding along the rope.
Very simple setup with hardly any metal parts that can fail / corrode.

Before I used a conventional PU chicken loop directly connected to the rope. Fine at the beginning. But the PU material becomes "rough" after some hours of use, resulting in "sticking" on the rope and very uncomfortable jerking movement along the rope. Not good.

Doesn´t matter which harness, actually. As long as you can knot in a rope somewhere at two points.
i would love to see a picture as well. Have no idea how you hook this up.

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:42 pm

my only concern wiht the slider bar, is the rope snapping. Seems like this happens quite a bit.

Any thoughts?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:44 am

I have been using one with a low friction ring for well over 150 days and almost no visible wear so far. If you are really worried about it, you could always use a second rope a bit looser so whatever wear there is would only be on the shorter rope and the other longer rope would only come into use if the first one broke?

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:59 am

Agreed, a 2nd rope can provide a safety if you're worried about it. Set it just slightly slack so it gets no wear.

Replace your rope often! And don't buy the Ride Engine replacement -- it's the same foot long piece of dyneema you get at the boat store.

You can make your own by sawing off hook on a broken bar -- just make sure there's no sharp edges anywhere the rope touches, it'll break through immediately with kite forces (lesson learned with dyna bar, the plastic grommet that guides the line through bar is essential).

I don't like chicken loop directly on rope, seems to create some friction. I use a locking carabiner, as that allows me to tether launch. But tether landing is a challenge, can be hard to get the c loop through the carabiner entrance while dealing with the kite with other hand.

I have also experimented with a steel o ring on the rope, with the quick release attached directly to the ring (no chicken loop -- Ocean Rodeo bars you can attach the QR webbing). Saves 6" of throw, but at cost of no tether launches/landings.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby randycasburn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:04 am

skideeppow wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:42 pm
my only concern wiht the slider bar, is the rope snapping. Seems like this happens quite a bit.
Empirical Evidence?

My world of facts has me riding on the same stainless rings on ropes for years. Never had a rope break due to a SS ring.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:11 am

randycasburn wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:04 am
skideeppow wrote:
Empirical Evidence?

My world of facts has me riding on the same stainless rings on ropes for years. Never had a rope break due to a SS ring.
For sure it happens, just like bars that slide over dyneema will eventually break. When you see slider ropes that are hard and white instead of soft grey dyneema, and super chewed up, they are on the verge of breaking. But it's easily avoided: when you see any signs of wear, replace it, costs you a buck for peace of mind. (which is why I agree: this isn't all that common, since most people are proactive)

My buddy broke his dynabar rope several times in first several sessions: the culprit was broken plastic grommet, with rope against the sharp edge on the metal hole it slides through.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:51 am

I 've been using my Dynabar for a couple of years now. No visible wear to the rope.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:28 am

Onda wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 am
Best I´ve ever experienced is:
Carbon spreader bar (rideengine 2016 model) with rope plus a Ronstan Orbit 20 block connected to a Cabrinha Fireball Bar´s QR (without the original Fireball piece).
Totally friction-less, super-smooth movement with minimal distance between the rope and the quick release. You don´t even notice that something is sliding along the rope.
Very simple setup with hardly any metal parts that can fail / corrode.

Before I used a conventional PU chicken loop directly connected to the rope. Fine at the beginning. But the PU material becomes "rough" after some hours of use, resulting in "sticking" on the rope and very uncomfortable jerking movement along the rope. Not good.

Doesn´t matter which harness, actually. As long as you can knot in a rope somewhere at two points.
Hi Onda, your approach seems different to the fireball + sliding rope shown here. Can we see some photos please?
https://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... l#p1038552
Attachments
Fireball with slider rope.JPG

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:30 am

skideeppow wrote:

Any thoughts?
Some slider bars (Manera for sure) have double slider ropes so if one fails no drama + this creates extra friction which helps with better control of the sliding. :thumb:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:33 pm

skideeppow wrote:

Any thoughts?

Yup, It's called 1/4 inch stainless steel. I love my Dynabar metal sliding hook, smooth as silk and absolutly bomb proof..

Return to “Kitesurfing”