Forum for kitesurfers
Mikkelza
Medium Poster
Gear: Wave + foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Harness with Sliding spreader bar

Postby Mikkelza » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:24 pm

Hello

In wave kitesurfing a harness with Sliding spreader bar is pushed from some retailers/brands. The idea is to have the pull from the kite not always from your body center.

I see surf movies in perfect conditions with big waves and cross off wind, where the (team)riders holds their kites stable.

However, normally I surf in cross onshore, or directly side shore wind. I fly the kite a lot/change the position of the kite constantly from edge to edge of the wind window to ride waves.

What are the sliding spreader bar intended for?
I do not see the point in a sliding spreader bar in cross on/side shore wind, where you have to fly the kite constantly.

I am not into buying a new spreader bar. I ask for curiosity.
I am certain there are some folks passionated about sliding spreader bars - please help me with some arguments, and not just: "it is the best. Try it and you will never want anything else" .

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Harness with Sliding spreader bar

Postby purdyd » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:15 pm

If you rdie toe side the slider can help a lot.

Doesn't matter if it is side on or side off.

I think it is easier to go up wind toe side with a slider and easier on you hips and legs.

It can also be a bit distracting to have the slider move around and you have to center on the kite if you want to keep it in the middle.

There are various degrees of slider amount, you might find it easier with small travel setup.

I don't particularly like jumping with a slider and I miss getting a bit of torque from the kite on a pivot turn.

Personally I've gone back to a fixed hook.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:36 pm

Its all about toeside. The sliding bar just opens up your hips and makes it so much better IMO.....I two harnesses, one for directional, and one for freeride TT boosting days...

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:48 pm

Mikkelza wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:24 pm
Hello

In wave kitesurfing a harness with Sliding spreader bar is pushed from some retailers/brands. The idea is to have the pull from the kite not always from your body center.

I see surf movies in perfect conditions with big waves and cross off wind, where the (team)riders holds their kites stable.

However, normally I surf in cross onshore, or directly side shore wind. I fly the kite a lot/change the position of the kite constantly from edge to edge of the wind window to ride waves.

What are the sliding spreader bar intended for?
I do not see the point in a sliding spreader bar in cross on/side shore wind, where you have to fly the kite constantly.

I am not into buying a new spreader bar. I ask for curiosity.
I am certain there are some folks passionated about sliding spreader bars - please help me with some arguments, and not just: "it is the best. Try it and you will never want anything else" .
I use a sliding spreader bar. It is the best. Try it and you will never want anything else.

Most of the time when you are riding you are not facing towards the kite but facing more forward - the sliding hook makes it more comfortable to do this & reduces the twisting forces on your harness. It makes quite a noticeable difference when you're riding & especially riding toeside. It's also quite noticeable when you're flying the kite while walking on the beach & when you're body dragging back to your board. If you're primarily wave riding I strongly recommend it. I thought it would feel weird when jumping ... but it doesn't. although if jumping is your main thing I wouldn't use a slider.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:39 am

Aside from the benefits already mentioned when walking, body dragging, and riding toeside I like the improvement in my range of motion this makes any kind of carving feel more fluid and natural to me.

Whenever I try a hooked in spreader bar its like some has put me into a straight jacket.
These users thanked the author zerogee_ca for the post:
iriejohn (Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

petato2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: la manga
Favorite Beaches: la manga
Style: freeride
Gear: airush, evo,
Has thanked: 0

Postby petato2 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:21 pm

Try it and you will never want anything else.

Seriously, I gave it a try a couple of years ago, with the believe that the sliding rope is a tool for "wave pro" kiters, and I beleive is the opossite, it is a great help when starting in waves. I am really really far from being just good at waves and I am not coming back to hooks.

Besides it os specially recomendable for strapless.

Prior to expending money you can give it a cheap try. Depending on your harness you may be able to attach a rope from one side to the other. Just make sure that the attachment points are solid enough, and the knots are good ones. Detach the donkey, open the safety and pass the chikeen trought the rope.

Give ir a try and if you like it hoy can consider buying a spreader bar.
Hope it hemos.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:03 pm

Cheap to try. I picked up some Slingshot replacement center line from a bargain bin cheap and enough for 2 lines.

Easy to try. Used big knots to tie to the ends of my spreader. Still have the hook on it. Doesn't get in the way.

Quick to transition to the slider. Worked so smooth I had to look down to see if it was actually working as intended.

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:13 pm

freeskiing
Rare Poster
Gear: Wainman 5.7
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby freeskiing » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:42 am

is there an option to only mount a rope on top of a normal hook spreader bar? i'd like to ride with a sliding rope, but want to avoid having to change the bar when windsurfing. any advice?

Mikkelza
Medium Poster
Gear: Wave + foil

Postby Mikkelza » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:32 pm

I started this thread. Thank you for your inputs.
I found that the brand of my current harness sell a separate spreaderbar with rope. It seems like a fair price to try out a sliding CL connection.
Alternative, I like the idea of adding rope your self as also posted.

Kind regards
M

Return to “Kitesurfing”