Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who ride with sunglasses, and where?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Who ride with sunglasses, and where?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi - just curious, as so many threads about this...

I live in Denmark and we got 30 degree celcius (86 F) in summer, but noone uses sunglasses on the water, not needed and a PITA of course.
On land yes, on the water - never.

But in some areas some ride with sunglasses it seems, where, and is it because the sun is dead up at 12 or?
Or because of eye problems?

When down in CapeTown in high summer january/february, no sunglasses used either from anyone.

8) Peter

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Re: Who ride with sunglasses, and where?

Postby JakeFarley » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:40 pm

I wear polarized, UVA, UVB, even when it is overcast. You need to protect your eyes. Also, helps with glare, and you can see under the water better (depth, obstructions, sea life). I don't go outside anymore without sunglasses no matter what I am doing. Get some that are designed for water sports with strap. I also wear contact lenses and sunglasses keep them from being blown out of my eyes.

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi, Frank.

Surfers eye (pterygium) is my main reason to use sunglasses on the water. I use them in sunny and cloudy weather.

The other one reason is protection from impact as well.

Two years ago, foiling Baltic waves I manage to hit oncoming wave with my face so fast, I haven't time to even close my eyes and salt water went around my eyeball. Other time I did manage to close my eyes, but the impact was so big that my eyelid filled with blood.

Sunglasses also protect my eyes from heavy rain and occasional spray.

Yes, they are very useful for me, providing they do not vaporize even during rainy weather.

In fact, all of them do vaporize, but some of them dry fast after exposion to wind.

IMHO Kurtis googles are best in that respect.

Tadeusz

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:19 am

This is due to the earth's atmosphere protecting your eyes at higher latitudes. Because once you are outside of the tropics the sun is no longer ever directly over your head the solar radiation now has to travel through move of our atmosphere because it's travelling a farther distance through the sphere of the earth to get to your eyes.

Where I live, on the 49th parallel the max angle to the sun we get (June 21st) is only 64 degrees. Since the atmosphere extends up to about 80 km this means that for us that same light has to travel through 89 km of atmosphere instead. Now come actual summer time (Aug 1st) the sun has fallen to 58 degrees and now that same light has to travel through 94 km.

Denmark maxes out at 58 degrees June 21st.
Cape Town maxes out at 80 degrees Dec 21st.

This is the same reason you can stare directly at the sun without eye protection during sunset.

For the record I do wear sunglasses on the water in the summer time here and in the tropics.

tkachuk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 75 kilos
Local Beach: Squamish, Nitinat (formerly: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil)
Favorite Beaches: Presquil (Ontario), Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn

Postby tkachuk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:16 am

My opinion is that sunglasses are a must for kiting, no matter your latitude or what the weather is. The UV radiation in sunlight cooks your lenses and retinas and without protection, causes cataracts and other nasty conditions. I have a related question. Does anybody think the necklace that comes with some sunglasses is a strangulation hazard?

https://www.lip-sunglasses.com/wp-conte ... yphoon.jpg

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby randycasburn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:44 am

Does anybody think the necklace that comes with some sunglasses is a strangulation hazard?
I don’t. I use a different brand with is a cloth vs. rubber strap. I have crashed hard sunglasses off and behind me, with kitelooping and all. Never ever felt in danger or strangled. And every time, I reached around, grabbed the glasses put them back on. Would not ride without that (I’ve lost too many pairs with other setups).

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:01 am

tkachuk wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:16 am
My opinion is that sunglasses are a must for kiting, no matter your latitude or what the weather is. The UV radiation in sunlight cooks your lenses and retinas and without protection, causes cataracts and other nasty conditions. I have a related question. Does anybody think the necklace that comes with some sunglasses is a strangulation hazard?

https://www.lip-sunglasses.com/wp-conte ... yphoon.jpg

What he said :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 am

I always use sunglasses.. not so much for UV protection but mostly for water splashes and flying sand (on 30kt days)
I can go for a foiling session without them but riding TT w/o is just punishment...
I just attach a rubber band to cheap aviators with electric tape and they usually last forever (especially if you tight them to a zip leash of the wetsuit)
or they just disappear on a wipeout.. or well $10 well spent, imho.
What are the downsides? I see none.. and during winter I sometimes go with ski goggles.. although those can be a headache if you crash hard and dive in....
39467176_2139867489359050_4622780146586222592_n.jpg
25791045_10213500069148506_7493593651603056337_o.jpg

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:15 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:10 pm
Or because of eye problems?
To prevent future eye problems....all UV is cumulative....the big buzz right now is harmful blue violet light...wavelength between 415-450 nanometers
That light goes straight to the retina and that's real bad....macular degeneration is not good at all to end up with
Lower wavelength attack all other part of the eyes
Sure your UV index is low in summer around 5 or 6 but still it is present in force... especially when reflected strongly from the water into the eyes

I wear soft contact lenses that have like many UV 400 protection but that is not enough for the eye and it's surrounding
So i wear lenses that do not appear dark because of their copper tint and they have polarisation....wrap 8 base..Ansi-Z87.1 frame + impact resistant polycarbonate
Both surfaces repel water and the lenses backside.... (very important for clearest easiest vision through lenses)...is anti-reflective

Sure they cost big $$ bucks....so you don't want them to sink away...i don't use those collar to attach leash..my longer leash line gets attached to center top of my waist harness
I've wiped out several times on rough days...they got yanked right off my head...but i was always able to fish then back from the water..haven't lost them

Don't think for a minute that you have strong eyes and can beat the power of the sun
Like a kite in a strong wind deathlooping.... don't think for a second that you can beat the power of the wind

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:59 am

I ride with a surfers hat...a good second best, in my opinion. I can't stand the drops on the lenses.

Regards, or6

Return to “Kitesurfing”